Which app do iPhone users prefer?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Nubetoob87, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Nubetoob87

Nubetoob87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello. I was recommended Osmand by a very nice member of this group. Had many problems after downloading it, then did some reading through here and apparently osmand is good on android but not iOS.
    So I'm wondering what you iPhone guys like to use.
    Heard poket earth was good but the recent update ruined it because it's constantly wanting you to update new maps.
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Road or off-road?

I don't go off-road. I have 3 programs on my device, Galileo Pro, Scenic and CoPilot Premium. Each have their advantages:

1. Galileo Pro - Lay out a route or track on the PC and download it to Galileo Pro for a 100% bullet-proof road map to follow. I use this when I already have a plan and I do not want to deviate. I can overlay alternative routes in different colors for combinations of routes in seconds. Very reliable and easy to use.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/galileo-pro-quick-start-guide.1166708/

2. CoPilot Premium - I don't use this very much, but it has a great POI database and is my go-to when I just want to plug in where I am at and tell it where to take me, shortest or quickest route possible. It's sort of a "Google maps" type of program that the average person would use to go somewhere.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/copilot-for-iphone.1010902/#post-25106872

3. Scenic - This is more of a "hybrid" between the two above. It's super easy to actually plan out a route on the device, something that seams to elude most other apps. I'm still new to Scenic and will be learning it better this spring.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...nd-tomtom-rider.1161012/page-11#post-31941178

I use Mappite.org and/or RouteConverter to lay out my preplanned routes and either place those files into my DropBox or email to myself. Works great - I'm all about making this as easy as possible! None of these apps require you to have a data plan, cell signal or wi-fi to use on the road, they are entirely self-contained on the iPhone once loaded.
    Nubetoob87 likes this.
  3. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use co pilot. Easy to use and the maps are held in the phone so no data use. It's very easy to plan a route by dropping waypoints so that you go where you want to go. Taken me all over Europe, bits of the US, and South Africa. Works seamlessly with my interphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I think Pocket Earth Pro is great! (not poker earth). Love the topos maps and all the details you get. Co-Pilot of course for the POI's and auto-routing. Galileo is OK as scootertrog mentioned, but I think the map itself needs more contrast to be seen clearly in sunlight.
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  5. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I agree more or better contrast would be nice. For what I am using it for, as long as I can see the road I am on and ones that are coming up, I'm OK. It's important to have the phone's brightness turned ALL the way up when using it on a sunny day. The last couple of updates have improved the "route" lines, not sure if you have noticed or not.
  6. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    iPhone 6s+

I ride mostly off road. I use Gaia GPS.

I have not tried other GPS apps (other than Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc). I have a Garmin Oregon 600 but prefer Gaia.
  7. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Scenic and Galileo Pro for planned routes. Either Copilot or Here for offline A -> B navigation.
  8. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motion X GPS for Off Road
    Dakar Dan likes this.
  9. Nubetoob87

Nubetoob87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so I downloaded pocket earth pro. I'm realizing that to make my own track, I have to drop waypoints. There has to be a faster way to do this. Also, sometimes when I drop a waypoint, it won't connect it with a blue line.. I'm guessing PE doesn't think that road can be traveled so it just skips over that.
    Anyway, today I'm trying to figure out how to use my computer to draw my own track and then do the .gpx thing.
    I just started playing with google earth. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  10. Nubetoob87

Nubetoob87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Drone! Typo, *pocket*
  11. Stephenmarklay

Stephenmarklay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After looking at this thread I downloaded the OsmAnd app. I was able to get a BDR map in but the app wants to crash. I also cannot really figure it out. I has the tracks but also lines all over the place. I will try to snap a photo. Are there other reliable Apps to follow BDR tracks?
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Let's see the screen grab. Also, which BDR track did you download, didyou get it directly from the RideBDR website, and what map did you download for OsmAnd to use?
  13. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_8793.jpg IMG_8794.jpg

motionX will create tracks on the go. Creates nice summary too.
  14. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Gonna have to check out PocketEarth PRO, which I just purchased and downloaded to my iPhone 7+. It looks promising so far.

I will also add maps.me, which is another good GPS app that doesn't rely on mobile data. That being said, I just returned from almost two weeks in Chile and relied solely on Google Maps, mobile data and all. I use T-Mobile, which provides free international data roaming, so no need to worry about getting a phone bill in a box when I got home. They claim it's at a reduced speed, but I never noticed any difference and the Google Maps tracked just fine. Most of the larger, well-known, U.S. mobile carriers now offer this service, but might not be included free like with T-Mobile. In any event, I find that the pure simplicity and ease of use of Google Maps is extremely hard to beat by any regular GPS unit. It completely blows away any Garmin unit that I have ever owned, including the old Zumo and a BMW Navigator V, which is a rebranded Garmin., that I currently own. With Google, I never have to upload maps of any kind, and they have every hotel, gas station, or whatever already there. The mobile network is everywhere in Latin American and other countries, even more so that in the U.S., meaning that when I travel out west and am away from the interstate, I often have no signal. I have been completely in the sticks in many so-called "Third World" countries and always seem to have five bars of service. The last benefit of a "real" GPS was that it's waterproof. Now, with the water-resistence of the iPhone 7, I don't even need that. Even my iPhone 6, which never claimed any water resistance, never had issues when mounted just behind the windshield, and even getting rained on never seemed to hurt it.

I still keep my Nav V on my GSA and switch my Zumo between other bikes in my stable and always have them turned on, but find myself relying pretty much exclusively on Google Maps using my iPhone mounted with a RAM X-Mount to the handlebars. If anyone is wondering about how secure the RAM X-mount is, I have never had any issues, and even when I had a 50+ MPH on-road crash in Colombia, by phone was still mounted in it's original location when I picked the bike up.
    sbeadg likes this.
  15. mathdl

mathdl Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have access to an old iphone and would like to map nearby trails. Is there a cheap app that would allow this?
  16. NHRstein

NHRstein Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Google Maps (you need good cell coverage.)
  17. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used Google maps several times last weekend on a trip. Downloaded the area for offline use. Had the map to look at and navigation worked great. Even has some limited POI searching. No data coverage at all where I was.
  18. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you load a gpx route into google maps and how easy is it?
  19. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not aware of any way to do that. I was just using it for a quick way to get to a town.

For importing and following a route, I like Scenic.
  20. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do a lot of off roading on motorcycles, Jeeps and Polaris rzrs. Here in the US and Canada I found that I like Senic Map (not to be confused with Scenic) and You Need a Map. The shaded relief maps are the best I have seen. Down load tracks from the web or create your own and email them to yourself. When Jeeping I run a split screen on my iPad mimi with Scenic Map West on one side and You Need A Map on the other side. One side I set north up and zoomed out so I can see the overall route the other side zoomed in track up. This is a real help when coming over the top af a hill in a Jeep or rzr when you can't see the trail. (There is a lot of that on the Arizona peace Trail.)
    You just follow the track line. For off road this works the best for several reasons.