Which bike should I buy to make a legal supermoto? (IT465 vs KDX200)

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by assquatch20, Nov 23, 2020.

1. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the question. The end goal is a fun supermoto that can be a garage queen and occasional corner carver. Something that would hold its value would be nice. Bigger might be better but also might be more prone to breaking in this case. There's also the issue of getting them street legal but not much is required around here and I think I could do the Vermont thing for a title.

These are two somewhat local options that both seem to be in decent shape. I've looked through a lot of listings within a few hundred miles and these are the two I'm considering right now.

The IT is set up like a YZ right now with a 510cc bore, but the seller says it comes with all the IT stuff, including a stock bore cylinder, head and carb. It has these weird brackets running along the swingarm that I don't understand but looks to be an alright machine. No cush hub and there were crankcase/kicker shaft issues that could be remedied with later parts.

The KDX is decades newer (2006) and also in good shape, I'm told. I'd imagine there's still no cush hub on a KDX but the power output and strength of the internals probably makes that apples to oranges. I'm not as familiar with these bikes so I'm unsure of weaknesses.

The bikes are priced the same. I feel as though either bike would resell okay but the IT might do better. One is much newer, but its engine is also about 40% the size of the other. Both bikes should be capable of taking a USD fork front end as well but I don't think I've seen it done on the old Yamahas like that. Whether or not I would attempt a USD fork swap would depend on a few things anyhow. 17" wheels and spokes and such should set me back about the same with either bike.

What would y'all do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    I remember the Yamha 490 /500's had detonation issues. Might want to check into that first.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  3. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've read that as well but I think it's more of an issue with the 490's than the 465. I do know that if the ignition isn't right it'll lead to trouble. If nothing else I think it can cause the issues with the kick shaft and then the cases.
  4. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd do the KDX myself, if you're after handling I can't see going with anything but the most modern chassis. You can put a better fork on either one but the Yamaha is always going to have the antiquated rear suspension compared to the KDX.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  5. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The KDX I had was pretty good on pavement with the knobbies the one time I did it going from trail to trail.

Mine drank fuel at road speed though.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  6. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    assquatch20 likes this.
  7. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's actually one listed near me for a price that seems too good to be true, then one with a more realistic price that's probably about what I'd have to spend to get either 2 stroke set up. Truthfully though the idea is a big 2 stroke supermoto. If I wanted to be competitive it'd be a 4 stroke or at least something modern (a 300tpi or something like that would be neat), but Eddie Lawson won a couple Superbiker events on a 490 back in the day. I like the idea of a throwback to that. There are smaller 2 strokes that would be kinda cool like the more modern 250's but I like the enduro ones because they're a little closer to street legal.

I got to looking a little and I'm not positive if the KDX has an easy shock upgrade or not. That's a really good point though. If I could get either a little stiffer than they might be on the trails then I'd be content with that. They'd both probably be too soft with me as I'm a bit rotund lately. The KDX stock front brake is surely a bit better than the old dual leading shoe setup on the IT. There's that to consider if I'm wanting to go real fast and can't find a decent deal on a modern USD front end.

I should talk myself out of making the purchase right now but we'll see. Fingers crossed things work out and I can just do it.
  8. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The KDX will be more readily revalved by your local suspension shop if anything. The USD conversion is pretty simple, my dad's backup bike is a KDX running a YZ125 front end. I don't recall the specifics of the swap but it was all done in his garage, nothing fancy and no trip to the machine shop.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Might wanna ride either on the street first. When I ride street 75mph is a common thing,sometimes for hours to get to the good corners.
    2 strokes arent noted for being happy with cruising and being happy about it on the street. Or for lasting very long doing such things.
    Ive had a lot of 4 stroke singles street legalized and even they tend to not go fast enough. Out in the open they dont have the gearing or power to really work that great. Great in the dirt though. KDX200's are a little trailbike,not really a road going thing.

Best to try it first before spending $ on such a thing .
    spokester likes this.
  10. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given all the enthusiasm, I'll just stick to my TW200, I guess. Wouldn't wanna put a slow trail bike on the road.
  11. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    GPX TSE 250 with their supermoto wheel set...

Paging @Navin for further guidance
    Navin likes this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Brandy new with Yamaha DT230 engines that are rock solid, smooth as glass and with a true WR gearbox.... hard to beat here if you are 100% bunger bound.

124D4534-C055-4095-9C75-64DA9BD26960.jpeg
    assquatch20 and Glenn247 like this.
  13. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    D71E94AE-1E26-4C16-9E12-97BBDB08192F.jpeg

At 100 hours on the 220 we did rings, they were in spec but the no discernible wear. She doesn’t ride it hard

2006 has 14 year old crank seals. If they aren’t failed now they will soon.

my 200 makes a lot of power, low gears but the trans is wide wide.

non of the two bikes you have listed have modern ergos to get up on the tank.
    Also consider what you can get titled. TN title my 220 but would not give me a plate for the 200.