1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Bike Would You Take to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by alprosound, Sep 13, 2007.

1. rowansride

rowansride recreational menace

Oddometer:
    none of the roads are that bad... It was way worse back in the day and look at the bikes available in the late forties.... I'm with the fellow with the K75. That was one of the best bikes I ever had. I have a pair of R100PD's myself but I ride them because their easy to repair and parts aren't too expensive. heck, If people ride that road every summer on bicycles, you don't need to blow a wad of cash on a new bike, just take something you won't worry about all the time. The only other advice is to stop by Alaska Leather for your New tires before you head back home. Best prices in AK.
  2. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    RowansRide-

Did we meet you on the Homer Spit Campground this past early June. We were the 3 guys on Gs's from TX. You left me anice present from Alaska. Remember us? Your buddy wanted a Luchenbach, Texas bumper sticker???
    Well I have one for em if that was you. PM me.
  3. rowansride

Oddometer:
    getting off this rig in the middle of the canadian arctic ocean in 8 more days.... been here a month allready. F**king cold....
    then I'm riding a bike I have in seattle out to the east coast. then up to vermont. should be in your neighborhood around end of the month... will look you up if you send me a #
  4. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    What?? No we don't! We speak Alaskan, live in igloos, drive sled dogs, and don't even have the Internet!

:hide

Good luck with yer trip... There's a lot of good info in this thread. Stop by Regionals - GWN, and there's some good info there too. And if you have any questions about how people won't help you out, check out Shog's thread... Let us know when you get here! :thumb
  5. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    RowansRide-

Just moved to a cool little Texas town south of Ft, Worth called-Granbury. Would definetly have more than a couch to offer you. My new house sits on the Brazos River(longest river in Texas). Contact me at:donovanbek@earthlink.net. Will return the gift you shared with me. Come on down. There a real nice roads right out my front door. BBQ & Beer Provided-free of charge. Two others on that ride live close, so we can all get together. They have a nice ranch where you could also stay-if you would like.
  6. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    RowansRide-

It was 84 degrees here today. That should thaw you out. Don't worry, we like cold beer...
  7. rowansride

Oddometer:
    grunt... Dirty roughneck like drink cold beer... open pearl beer with remaining teeth. [​IMG]
    actually, I still have most of my teeth, that's just black E-tape. I'm doing my best NHL posterboy impersonation for the indians up here two months ago...
  8. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you explained.....I was thinking maybe I should just go some place safe like East LA or something.....:D

This thread has had a life of it's own. :freaky I'm still leaning toward the KTM but decided to wait until Spring. With the BMW F800GS coming along it's exactly what I've been looking for. The new 1200GS has me thinking twice as well though I didn't want that much weight.
  9. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    late to the thread and haven't read any of the replies, but i believe you've answered your own question. having ridden to Alaska i am confident in saying that any bike will do, so get whatever you want. is a Multi the best thing for 2up? of course not, but 12 year olds are resilient and he'll be happy that he's along for the ride. enjoy!
  10. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:
    Finally made the decision and put my money down on an 06 Triumph Tiger. I liked the 800GS but would rather wait for a used one to come out in a few years rather than paying the premium for the new bike coming out. I've always loved the Multi and the KTM was right up my alley as well. The Tiger gave me something between the Multi Strada and the 1200GS and the price/value was a real kicker. I got the fun that the Duc offered but better comfort for my passenger. People that own the Tiger love them in a very realistic way and that's a great sign. I've never done wrong when purchasing a bike that has that many satisfied riders. As I've learned from this thread and many others as well as books, the bike I chose was less important than my attitude going into the trip and being realistic. I've got a couple years before the trip so it will give me plenty of time to make sure it will work for us. Thanks everyone for the input! :clap
  11. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I found the Multistrada very uncomfortable, I think you cant go wrong with the V-strom or Kawasaki Versys, but if you want to add a bit of passion to the equation get the new BMW GS800, good size engine for long trips, super cool, BMW confort and a go anywhere setup.

Only IMO
  12. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will be happy :D
  13. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:
    HappyMan can't go wrong buying a bike with that many fanatical followers!!!:D
  14. dcsdiego

dcsdiego Traveler, Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    No such thing of course. I have the BMW LTC Its the best when I am staying on the Highways Warm comfortable but my buttcheeks clinch just looking at a soft shoulder.
    For off road given my fairly limited technical dirt exp my Suziki drz400 is great but it is NOT a freeway of touring bike. If I had to own only one bike it would be my BMW GS 650(Dakar if I did it over again.) On a recent 1000 mil trip/tour to Copper CANYON Loaded to the teeth I could comfortably maintain 78mph on the highways and it made it in and out of the canyon no problem. I like that it is closer to the ground even though I am 6'1" . Granted you dont want to dab with 41L panniers but I made it all without a fall. (I did put the knobbies on for the whole trip). I love the big GS and would have no probs handling that but I want a bike that I know I can pick up if I fall on my own somewhere. I spoke with a group of big GS'rs and one guy had to get help from his buddies 4 times to pick it up when he tipped over. All his falls were in gravelly hairpin turns at low speeds. I would say with tire changes you could really go about anywhere you want. (It is NOT a dirt bike though) Also remember when you load up all those cases it feels more like the LT. One more "also" in twisties you really have to work to keep it down into the turns...almost steer it!
    ALASKA...I think I would like more hoursepower for the long hwy stretches. I think Ewan Mc Greggor (Long way around) would have had a much easier time on the 650.
  15. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:
    No kidding. I thought that quite a few times while watching it. (and reading it) I think it would have been nice to see one of each Beemer to see the differences in the capabilities of the bikes.
  16. hmadams

hmadams Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the Tiger. Having owned a Multi, all I can say is it is a wonderful bike--no complaints on comfort on 500 mile days. Having said that I also went down on it and broke my leg/ankle, and when I rebought I got a Moto Guzzi Norge, love it but miss the Multi at times. Recently bought 2 08 KLR's and I can honestly say they ride and handle like the Multi save power, an a hell-of-a-lot cheaper. However, neither the KLR nor Multi would be comfortable two up, and I believe the Tiger will do a yeoman job for youtr purpose with a little uniqueness thrown in. Any bike that is mechanically sound would do the trick, but the Tiger will do it in spades..Again congrats and I'm planning an Alaska trip soon my self, but for now I've got a trip to the tropic of Cance in Mexico planned over Xmas holidays. Keep the rubber on the road and your ass off...
  17. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:

Have a great trip and thanks for the words of confidence in the Tiger. I think it really fits the bill for what I need to get out of the bike. Miles of smiles!! :freaky
  18. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    LETS NOT FORGET THAT EWAN MCGREGORS FIRST CHOICE FOR HIS TRIP WAS A KTM, BUT HE SETTLED FOR A BMW.
    ALASKA IS BEST SERVED ON A BIKE THAT WANTS TO BE IN THE DIRT. DON'T GO TO ALASKA IF YOU PLAN ON RIDING 100% TARMAC. IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF MONEY. PLAN ON RIDING DIRT ROADS AND YOUR TRIP WILL BE MUCH MORE THAN "JUST A LONG ROAD TRIP". KLRs,DR's and XR's are great bikes but the smile on the first day of your trip will quickly fade. But remember you wont see many dealerships, other than japaneese "?", past Dawson Creek. Please leave the harley at home
  19. g r a n t

g r a n t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ewan's first and only choice was the BMW. His partner, Charley, was originally rooting for the KTM until KTM sucker-punched them and denied sponsorship because the didn't think the riders would succeed.

Cheers.
  20. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Denalidirt, thank you for switching over to lower case.

As a lifelong Alaskan and long time rider, I feel compelled to give my differing opinion on a few statements made.

I think the trip up here has the potential of being wonderful and well worth it even if the rider chooses to never leave the road system.

I also think most, if not all, KLR, DR, and XR riders that come up here have many long lasting smiles throughout their entire trip.

I also see no reason to "leave the Harley at home." I've seen as many, if not more, out of State Harleys touring around up here as I have Beemers. And they all seem to be having a good time.

So come on up folks, no matter what you choose to ride. After all, every kind of bike imaginable has done the trip. Some more easily and more comfortably than others. I think it's often actually more weather and road construction dependent.

Good luck and have fun. Mark H.