1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Bike Would You Take to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by alprosound, Sep 13, 2007.

1. chrism1111

chrism1111 n00b

Oddometer:
    I live in the SF bay area and am also thinking of taking the alaska trip. I am wondering if people usually go alone or in groups or meet people on the way??? About a month ago I bought an 08 klr 650....
  2. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:
    Both are acceptable. I prefer to travel on my own. That way I am less dependant on others. Just a personal choice. Read Greg Frazier's book on touring some time. It's a fun read.
  3. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer:
    Jumping in late here but have to give the nod to a Vstrom. My riding buddy has a Multistrada, which means 'good for pavement, asphalt and highway' Don't get it dirty though. And not maintenance friendly. Shit, it takes the dealer 2 hours just to get to the friggin airbox!

Get a used, farkled Vstrom and ride on! You'll have plenty of extra dough to boot.
  4. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I say Alaska is dirt because 90% of the roads are dirt. Its like going to vegas and not gambling, going to an amusment park and not riding on a ride, living in alaska and never going to denali national park, playing golf with only a 9 iron, landing on the moon and not walking on it. if thats your idea of adventure than go for it. but you can make much more of your trip if your ready for what ak has to offer. why bother if you miss 90% of whats available If you plan on going to Alaska most of the beautiy is off pavement. I know plenty of wads that ride to Alaska on klrs and I know plenty that sell the bike to fly home. Ive riden bmws harley hondas and ktms. I just know, as fact, that you will get more out of a motorcycle ride to alaska if you have the abillity to explore. roads are fine but Ak, and you should if you live hear, has much more to offer a person on a bike off road. alaska roads are dirt for the most part. get out of anchorage and the ops or endless. unless your on a harley or a ducati
  5. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:
    If I were going to AK to hit the pavement I'd stay in the lower 48. My intentions are to hit the dirt and my combination of Tiger and DR 650 I believe will be a fine choice.

Thanks for your input. :freaky
  6. Viejo

Viejo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been there twice from Texas. 1st time was on a goldwing and other than muddy construction zones no problems. I went this summer to Prudhoe Bay on a 2002 GS. As far as I'm concerned a DS is the type of bike to take. It was nice not to have to worry about what road conditions were coming up. The GS could handle anything. Over 10,000 miles on the trip and no mechanical issues popped up. My friend also was on a 1200 GSA.

Here is the trip report. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292335

I would not recomend riding a Harley or Goldwing or whatever up the haul road. Depending on weather and road conditions, a street bike might make it but on the other hand there is no way anything other than a DS or dirt bike would have made the day we went up. rained most of the day and very muddy.
  7. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    I went alone and met so many cool people I could travel alone when I felt like it and have company whenever it made sense.
  8. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:

My 1100 GS was the perfect bike but lots of folks love the Kbike. Check the epic ride of Shogani ("Where in the World is Shogani) thread of 2 years ago) to see a well ridden k75. Jaquline did a similar epic with "Hoone on the loose" on an F650 with great results, Bear
  9. alprosound

alprosound HappyMan

Oddometer:
    The Hoon on the Loose thread was great. I'll have to check the other one out. Thanks for posting it. Some of the older threads are a fantastic read!
  10. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. tejasbusa

tejasbusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You could take a Busa. Miss Busa never let me down on my trip, and the Vee Strom worked great for my son.

As a side note, I found this thread too late, as I see you have already put money down on a Tiger, but the Vee Strom all set up for the trip is for sale.
  12. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have some statistics to back that up? Like Mark, after over 50 years of living in Alaska, and traveling from one end of the state to the other, that just doesn't jive with my own experience.

Sorry to be so late with this post, but just got around to reading the entire thread, since this subject appears in so many every winter as riders make plans for when weather permits riding again.