Which computer? Basecamp?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by onesaintsfan, Jan 24, 2020.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    After running windows 7 forever it’s time to buy a new computer. I use iPhone and have been using basecamp. I have a NAV V & 396. LMT-S. I’ve always used windows computers but my daughter says get a Mac. The two things I use that I’m worried about with a Mac is basecamp and my GS-911 for my bikes I’ve heard basecamp is no longer supported. Any opiinions?
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Forget windows 8 or 8.1 its crap..

The ainchent Xp was better
    onesaintsfan likes this.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use Windows at work. Android phone. Many years ago I bought a Mac as my kids had just gotten Mac laptops and loved them. Long story short, I sold the Mac 6 months later (for half what I paid) and both my kids are back to Windows for work and home. If I'd use a Mac at work and at home it would be different. Switching between the two, not fun.
  4. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only reason to buy a Mac would be that you need some specific software that's only available on that platform, nothing about them is worth the extra money.

These days, I usually tell folks who want to save a buck to just go find something cheap and refurbished with at least 8gb of ram and a solid state disk no smaller than 256gb. You should be able to find something in that range for $400-ish.
    onesaintsfan and bozmotodual16 like this.
  5. SnapnRide

SnapnRide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A Mac takes a little getting used to after Windows. As for Basecamp, I have had no problems using it on the Mac.
  6. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run Basecamp on both my old HP desktop and on a 1 year old Surface Go with no problems. Both are Windows 10 Home 64 bit ( I was an early adopter ).

Though about buying a higher powered Android tablet and running WineHQ, but the cost savings wasn't that big over the Surface Go.
    WineHQ 5.0 just rolled out. I may have to try it out.
  7. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    Thanks , this has helped a lot. I’ll get a new windows machine
  8. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or get a Mac and install Parallels and Windows 10. You'd then have both the Mac OS and MS Windows.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO Basecamp runs fine on my ~5 year old Dell All in One desktop running Windows 8.1

It sucked on my ~12 year old XP machine.

But I have been using it some while away from home on my 9 year old ASUS notebook running windows 7 Starter.
    I did upgrade memory and added a SSD to speed it up a few years ago. Slow but useable

I would expect Basecamp to run okay on any modern Windows desktop or laptop with adequate memory and disc space
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    hp6200 i3 or i5 or i7 (off lease corporate desktop) $80
    fast ssd $75
    geforce 710 $40
    mac os olirila installer

it takes about 18 minutes to install Mac os on this desktop, the result is called a hackintosh. you can still dual boot (boot whichever operating system you want) windoze (which sucks balls) , Mac OS, Linux, bsd, or whatever you like.

I've used basecamp on both windows and Mac OS, it's equally terrible on both of them, so don't let that be a deciding point for you.

windows (7/8/10) will nag you constantly to update crap, install crap, pop-up crap while you're trying to do everything BUT update crap.

mac os just does what you tell it to and shuts up.

ubuntu (Linux) is insanely good now. possibly better than Mac OS (which is really hard to beat) but it's missing some of the video editing programs that Mac OS and windoze have.

i have 5 hackintoshes all"built" (kids like to call putting parts onto something a "build" nowadays lol) from the hp 6200/8200 dell 7010 off lease machines. your average computer use would think they're using the latest/greatest hardware, they're so fast and easy to use... but it's really 9 years old.

the software matters... which is why basecamp sucks so bad.
  11. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    Great!
  12. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to be contrary to others, but I am running Windows 10 on a number of machines, and love it. Works well, and the built in Defender anti-virus doesn't hog the system. It all just works for me. I automatically sync a lot of content from machine to machine and even my phone.
    I even found a 'refurb' Surface Pro cheap. Great tool to carry around on my travels.
    Motopsychoman and TripleTriples like this.
  13. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. There's nothing wrong with MacOS, but there's also not a lot of reasons to justify the extra cost these days.
  14. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only benefit to the Surface Go over the Pro is its smaller size for traveling. Much lower performance, but I could care less about that. It does what I need it to do like running Basecamp, RepRom, GS-911, OpenOffice and even a very old version of Photoshop.
    scfrank likes this.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Mac OS is free. Windows x is $199 ?
  16. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, but the hardware to run it comes with a hefty premium.
    wbbnm likes this.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    see my earlier post. a used desktop for $80 or so will run Windows or Mac OS, or Linux, or bsd, or whatever... if the user chooses to pay a premium (and depreciation) for new hardware, that's on them
  18. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    If we're talking about the hackintosh thing, That's not really "free." You're illegally installing the OS if you put it on someone that's not a Mac. You could just add easily steal a copy of windows.
    worwig likes this.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i have several hard drives that came with Windows 10 installed on them.... they're dormant for a reason... i wouldn't steal that os if you paid me to do it

i also have APPLE stickers i can slap on the"illegal" hardware to make it all branded and "legal". or i could sandwich each hackintosh between ol ppc laptops... whichever looks cooler ;-)

but thanks for the effort :-)
  20. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    That's not entirely correct. If you get the OS and didn't pay for it (like pulling it from a torrent site), yes, that's stealing, it's illegal, and it's wrong. It's also stupid because you don't know what kind of malware or god-knows-what you are getting.

If you own a Mac, and have access to the app store, you have the right to download the OS and installer, or for earlier versions, you may still be able to purchase a DVD with the installer.

At that point, you are not stealing - you bought the software. You are violating the EULA by putting it on non-Apple hardware, which isn't illegal from a criminal standpoint, and Apple isn't going to do anything about it. I just built two hacks in the last month. First to see if I could do it with an old Core 2 that is now my file server (it's not that hard if you are computer savvy) and then to build something out of basically spare parts, that would cost over $1500 on the used market if you bought the equivalent Mac, and outperforms the actual Mac - that one is my home desktop workstation.

I also own an older Mac Mini, and use a MacBook Pro for work. But the mini won't run a lot of newer programs, and I'm not paying for a stupid iMac with it's integrated monitor and crap performance over off-the shelf components.

On my laptop - I run Linux Mint and Windows in a dual boot configuration. The only reason I have Windows is to run Basecamp if I were on the road, since I haven't built a hackbook yet. (laptops are harder to install MacOS on.) But honestly, I think Basecamp runs much better in MacOS than Windows.