Which Garmin handheld with 12v

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by crag antler, Sep 19, 2014.

1. crag antler

crag antler In the woods putting around

Oddometer:
    I've seen the garmin 62s for sale @ $199 thru Cabellas.
    From searching the posts here, it seems a problem that it does not hook up to 12v.
    From everything else it seems like a good starter GPS for me as a handheld and for the DR.
    Any thoughts would be great as this would be my 1st GPS.:deal
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a good set of NiMH rechargeables you'll get through a day no problem.
    Otherwise get a 78s which has the 12V power. Same guts as 62s plus it floats.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watch for 78 at WestMarine.com

Personally I have no use for the "S", save your money.

Or watch for close out or used 60 or 76Cx
  4. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using a 62S in a Ram Mount on my Trail bike for more than 3 years. I power it from a Garmin cigarette lighter power device which I hardwired to the bike battery through a switch.
    I use it regularly in rough terrain and all types of weather ( mostly dry and dusty but occasionally tropical rain ) with never a problem.
    I was wary of the USB connector but it has never failed under what I consider very adverse conditions
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are much better external power supplies available than a clunky cigarette lighter type.

And what do you conclude from this one test? None will ever fail, or that you have been lucky?

How do you factor in all the other reports of Mini USB connector failures that makes the GPS useless?

How do you factor in the cases of the external power supply getting wet, failing, outputting 12 V to the 5V input of the GPS, and toasting the GPS?

What is the downside from just using a 78 which is identical to the 62 but actually has 12 V power input?
  6. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Additional cost, size, performance . I previously had a 60 and agree the power connector was a much better option.
    If the USB connector on my 62 ever fails I'll consider hardwiring a small flying lead on to it, but considering the life it's had I'd probably replace it.
  7. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:

I haven't use one but the issue I wonder about is, "Do you guys using the 78 find your hand blocks your view of the screen when pushing the buttons?"

I know that may sound like a stupid question but I was imagining it would be more difficult to navigate thru various screens and see what you were doing at the same time?

Another question for you all - anyone know if the Garmin Rhino 655/650 has that same 4 pin power connector the 60CSx has? (Is there a proper name for that connector?) I noticed it also has an internal, rechargeable battery. From looking at it, it looks like you might be able to use AA's? I couldn't find any info on that though...
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Valid question:
    - When handheld, yes, the view of the screen is partially blocked. But I've never had a problem with having to move my hand out of the way before the next button push, it's just a slight rotation of the wrist to get the base of the thumb out of the way of the screen.
    - When in the RAM cradle it's easy to avoid blocking the screen while pushing buttons.
    For handheld use buttons below screen would be better.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very common thought but if you "Search" 76 or 78, you will not find one post by any owner that says hand ever blocks screen.

Usually the GPS is basically in front of you, your arm and elbow is way over on the left so with index finger, the screen is not blocked. This would be when stopped.

If you try to watch screen and see to push button while riding, I would sorry much more about hiting a tree or on coming car. YOu know where the buttons are, and push them while watching the road/trail, then look down at screen. This is true with 60/62 or 76/78.

When hand held, I use thumbs while holding GPS with 4 or 8 fingers. Again thimb will not block screen.