Which Garmin models have a power cradle?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by trampaslake, Apr 14, 2013.

1. trampaslake

trampaslake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

Is the Zumo and Montana series the only units that have cradles that will power the units?

Do all others have to run on battery power while on the bike?

Thanks
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two classes of Garmin GPS units; automotive and hand held.

All units will run on external power of some sort.

All automotive units transfwer power thru the cradle. Some may also bypass the cradle with a cable. Some are good some are crap.

All hand helds transfer power direct to the unit with a stand alone cable. Some of the new units only use the USB connector which is worse than crap.
  3. trampaslake

Oddometer:
    Yeah I agree with that about the usb being crap.

I really like the Montana but I don't like that when it's in the cradle it's horizontal. When I'm following a track, I like it to be vertical so I can see the most amount of what's to come.

I guess I could rotate the unit and mount sideways on the RAM ball.

Does anybody know if the orientation will change to vertical if its in the mount?
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can rotate the unit & mount to either Portrait or Landscape. I do it all of the time. Just loosen the RAM mount thumbscrew and rotate. If you have your settings set to Display Orientation = Auto, the display will rotate to whatever orientation you choose. But, I keep my settings on one or the other orientation so the display doesn't jump from portrait to landscape while I'm riding.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
  5. trampaslake

Oddometer:
    Awesome.

That just about sells me on the Montana then.
  6. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    The GPSmap 78 has a port for a non-usb power connector, which is pretty beefy. If you can live with the screen size and a patch antenna as opposed to a helical, it's a great deal less expensive than the Montana.
  7. trampaslake

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've looked at just about all the models Garmin makes. I'm trying to decide if the extra real estate for the screen is really important. Sometimes, bouncing down a trail it's easier to see a bigger screen. But the prices of the smaller ones is enticing.

Also, it's really important to me to get the unit hardwired too. That also makes the Montana more attractive.

8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Not ALL handhelds. The Montana is a handheld and it uses a power cradle.
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Hope you find this useful. Here's my 78, with the "hardwire" attached. Inmate Emmbeedee (Garmin supergenius) supplied me with the cable, which plugs handily into a standard SAE outlet. What's really nice about this set-up is that it is robust, yet very easy to transfer from bike to bike. SAE cables are a feature on all my bikes to support battery tenders, so I just need to swap the Garmin cable over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, a couple of my bikes don't have 12v DC output, so the Garmin will run off batteries on them. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the 78's performance on a couple of rechargeable AA cells. It easily has double the life of my former GPS, perhaps triple. It will go all day and then some on a pair of batteries.

10. trampaslake

Oddometer:
    Yeah that does help quite a lot. I appreciate your help.

11. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The 4 pin plug I used to make that cable comes from a 'Share Hardware' site called PFranc which sends you the plug for a donation. Kinda like shareware for hardware... You pay if you like the parts.

Glad to hear you're getting some use out of that one, Tim. I have one or two more of the plugs around here, somewhere...
  12. bigalsmith101

bigalsmith101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please tell me where you bought this bracket!

[​IMG]
  13. Canuman

Oddometer:
    If you're looking at the bracket for the upper LED light, you're perfectly correct. It is an ADVmonster item. It came mounted on my ADVmonster LED fairing, which I'm going to go and piss off plenty of people with tomorrow. I'm sure inmate Sanjoh could hook you up with one. He can usually be found skulking around the vendors forum.

Otherwise, the GPS bracket is a bog-standard RAM item.

Cheers.

14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Here's a rather crappy Iphone pic of the ADVmonster fairing mounted on my '04 DRZ400E. This item is a pretty good value for the money. It mounts solidly. The lights will easily burn your face off your skull. The bracketry is cleanly made. Compared to a Britannia fairing, the glass work needs improvement, and the gel coat will not win awards, but hell, it's half the price of the Britannia, and full-on and shining like the sun, it draws all the amps of a flickering stock beam. It turns night into day (or somewhat near it), which was what I was looking for.

[​IMG]
  15. bigalsmith101

bigalsmith101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very familiar with the ADVmonster lights and equipment. Ran those lights from Seattle to Argentina. Bought a couple of the first sets for sale 3 years ago. I didn't see those brackets on the advmonster website, but when the time comes I'll message Sanjoh for a link to buy some. Cheers, --Alex