Which Garmin

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by pvmoto, Jan 24, 2012.

1. pvmoto

pvmoto Instagram @ pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Hi Y'all,
    Does anyone have any recommendations on which Garmin model to buy? Is it just a matter of laying the cash down for the top of the line 665 or is there a better option. Ive got a brand new Strike Genius but after researching i think the Garmins are a better option for really out of the way adventure riding.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The Montana series has the most potential as a do-everything Adventure rider tool. It's not perfect yet but it's getting there. You might want to check the thread in Laying Down Tracks.
  3. Spiritwalker2222

Spiritwalker2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you plan on using the GPS? What type of riding are you doing?
  4. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Well. My main priority is serious off-road adventure riding. Ive a couple points of issue;
    No dash mount kit available for the Strike BT.
    While the Strike has the ability to upload a route to google earth, there is no information on how to load another users route into the Strike. Nor does it appear that i am able to build a route on the pc myself and load it into the Strike.

Cheers
  5. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    So after much research, I've pretty much decided on the Garmin Zumo 660. Where to buy? Any suggestions?
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your priority is "serious off-road adventure riding" and after "much research" you have chosen the zumo 660? :huh

You must have other priorities aside from serious off-road riding if you've chosen the zumo 660. Do you know that once you've set a waypoint, you can no longer see the Lat/Lon on that Waypoint without a lot of "workarounds"? Do you know that the zumo 660 has a Track Point limit of 650 points and can only hold 15 Tracks in the Off Road Riding library? The Montana series can have 650x15 points in one Track and the number of Tracks in the Track Manager is 200.

So, what are your real priorities - Bluetooth?

Cheers,
  7. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    I'd just come across the Montana series. The 650t. Id not even looked at hand helds.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    "serious off-road adventure riding & dash mount" is double Oxymoron perhaps trioxymoron not to be confused with the new street drug. Do you mean riding dirt roads with a big adventure bike or serious dirt riding on single track trails or cross country?

As stated Montana is a great corssover between street and a lot of dirt but for pure serious dirt hand helds 60/62/76/78 are it.
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Surely you jest - I've had 60/62/76 and Oregons and none hold a candle to the Montana nowadays. They all have their strengths, but if you only can have one, the Montana's the one to get.
  10. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Ok, after much more research and having been saved from making a mistake by DRTBYK (thanks mate), i've gone for the Montana 650T.

Yes "dash mount". Gets it out of the way on the big 990. The bar mount on by Strike GPS broke when my knee hit it on the way to the ground!
  11. Spiritwalker2222

Spiritwalker2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Zumo 660, it's perfect for doing paved and gravel marked roads. But does a poor job if your going where there are no roads (following tracks).

Countdown, what do the hand helds do better on a bike than the Montana? The only advantage I think the handhelds have is their battery life. Especially if your bike doesn't have DC power. I don't know what the battery life is for the Montana, but I'm assuming it's poor.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Bzzzt. Wrong, but thanks for playing.

The Montana has a battery which will probably last all day and when that's done, you can just stick in some AAs and finish the day.

But most people use the powered "Rugged Mount" on bikes.

[​IMG]
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) Small size, many many many riders buy 62 over 76 because they falsely think that they are smaller, they think montana is even bigger even if it is the same as 76

2) Not touch screen, obviouis negative for dirty/wet dirt bike

3) 12V power input (USB power is giant looser on a real dirty/wet dirt bike)

4) very simple to use ( I give classes and teaching 60/76 is a tough job, I wouldn't even try on a Montana)

5) Price $150 for 76Cx which does any thing 99% of dirt riders want to (can) do.

Plain "better" was poor choice of words, "more desireable", or "in more demand" is more accurate.

I like new BETTER stuff but I am waiting for Montana to come down in price, and for Dan to convince me I really must have one!
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    But the flip side is this:

1) The Montana is no bigger than the 76/78 series

2) Touchscreen is easier to use than tiny buttons when you're wearing gloves. And yes, the Garmin touchscreens do work with gloves on.

3) Montana has a proper power connection in their mount system. The mount systems are not included in the basic purchase price but are very reasonably priced, IMHO. $40 for a lockable powered mount is an amazing price.

4) Montana's much more powerful but if all you're used to is the 62/76 series then it will be tough to teach others on the Montana, no doubt.

5) Price, well, all I can say is I paid $500 each for my first 60CSx and 76CSx. If you want to play the game while it's hot, you gotta pay. If you want to wait until you can get a Montana for $150, then the gps world will have left it far behind by that time.

There's no doubt that a 60/76CSx is a good gps but in no way can it be called "better", unless your sole requirement is a low price.
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    NO way better, but much more simple and gets the job done for 99% of dirt riders who don't use 1/2 of its features.

I don't think the Montana or derivitives will ever take over the dirt market currently dominated by the 60.
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only time will tell. And quite frankly it makes no difference with respect to how much fun one can have on a bike since you shouldn't be looking' down at the damn GPS thing anyway if the riding conditions are so muddy and dusty :evil But, we do. . . :ricky and when I do, I want to actually see what's on the screen - which is what brings me to the Montana.

As for the Montana & Rugged Mount: no power supplies, no mechanical plugs to fail, longer battery life (on AA's) than GPSMAP 60CSx and GPSMAP 78. Garmin provides three FREE screen protector films with the Mount to protect the Montana from your muddy gloved paw. When required, I just use my thumb and swipe the screen free of mud or dust with no problem. If the screen should change, one touch and I'm where I want to be.

My experience with small buttons on a GPS is, they suck.

Cheers,
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Small screens suck. Small buttons suck. Low screen resolution sucks. Map restrictions suck.

As much as I liked my 60/76 when they were the best ones available, I sold them while they still had some value and put that towards my Oregon, then sold that when the Montana came out. It's evolution at its best.

When the Montana is eclipsed by something much better, I'll switch to that too when the time comes. But I think that time's a long way off.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Hey Jerry, is the Montana really that much bigger than the 62?

[​IMG]
  19. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I've been following these threads, trying to figure out which GPS would work for me. I have a 60Cx and recently sold a 478 - the 478 was too bulky and complicated for ease-of-use IMHO, although I loved the screen, and loved the way it displayed the maps, and the screen re-draws when scrolling around were quick and snappy.

I like the 60 when I'm following tracks, but it drives me CRAZY with how slow it is on screen redraws, when I'm trying to scroll a map around to figure out where I can go from where I am. The whole GPS is so unbelievably slow I can hardly stand it. Searching for POI's takes forever, screen re-draws are super frustrating, arrrgh!!!

I like to use the GPS mostly as a "rolling map", navigating more or less on the fly with the ability to move the map around, zoom in and out, and see if the road that I've spotted will lead in the general direction I'm heading. I want the thing to respond quickly at the time I need it.

The reason I have NOT liked the Zumo's that I've tried is that they don't seem to show ANY map detail. It's like they only show the road you're navigating on. No names of lakes, no gravel roads, no town/village names, nothing. I found that very limiting, even when I set them to "most detail".

I don't need or want to plan out complicated routes on the computer, but I do want something with a big clear screen, fast re-draws, that can display the map detail in the same way as the 60 and my former 478 (but hopefully will be a bit easier to use - I found it challenging to navigate around with the rocker switch, and time consuming to try and enter an address or search for a POI).

I'm back to using the 60 for now, but am wondering if the Montana might work for me. Hmmm...

Anyone here use a GPS in this kind of fashion? It seems that most of you folks are much more versed in the technical and planning aspects on the computer side, something that isn't important to me at all.

Would very much appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Cheers,
    dc
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The Montana does respond very quickly in every respect except some people have issues looking for Points of Interests depending on which maps they have loaded/enabled and where those maps are, ie on the Montana vs on the uSD card. I don't have any delays when searching mine, though.

Re the map detail - with City Navigator NA you don't see a lot of detail above the 1.2 km zoom scale so that's why I use Open Street Maps - they have much better detail, at least in Canada, and I can zoom out to the 3k level and see the streets. On a large screen like the Montana, that means a fairly large area of good map detail is visible.

My wife's Oregon can display OSM map detail right to the 5k zoom level - it's amazing how a high res screen looks with that kind of detail.

I think the Montana would suit your needs, especially if you got the OSM maps as well.

This screen shot is OSM maps at the 3k zoom level on both units. It also displays just how much more area you can see on the Montana at one time for any zoom level.

[​IMG]