Which generation SPOT?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by RealOldDualSportGuy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gen 1, 2 or 3

Will be used for tracking and SOS

Suggestions?

Ride Safe

:norton
  2. graler

graler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know you were asking which to buy. Sorry I do not have that answer. I did get a spot 2 just a week ago at best buy. They are listed on the web for $69 and change. When I got to the store it was marked down on clearance to $39 and change. It might not be the latest and greatest but it sure was a lot easier on the pocket book.

Joe

Ps. When I was at the website I looked for stores that had them in the store. I am not sure the web is offering the same discount.
  3. stephen.stallebrass

stephen.stallebrass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the spot 2 and I'm pretty happy with it. Here's the specs for the spot 3:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

It's basically motion activated tracking, longer battery life and USB power. However, I'm ok with pressing the tracking feature once in the morning before I set off. The extended battery life is a good feature as the fancy batteries required are quite expensive. Although good rechargeable batteries will work in the spot 2 but they aren't as good and you will constantly have a set on charge. This is obviously mitigated with the USB charging upgrade, which I think is the only really significant improvement of the spot 3. However, it is possible to hack/modify the spot 2 for USB power.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N5bf1vu-fKA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For me I'll stick with the spot 2, it's just not worth upgrading to the spot 3. If I wasn't happy modifying a spot 2 for USB power and it was my first spot purchase I might go for the spot 3.

NB: if you're not that bothered about tracking have a look at the McMurdo Fast Find PLB (this would be my choice if I didn't have worrisome friends and relatives and/or I was going places outsie of spot coverage - the PLB is much more reliable due to it's satellite and radio features).
  4. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the update

Regards

:norton
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I've got the SPOT 3. Love it, it works really well.
  6. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Bass Pro has the Spot 3 for $149 yesterday afternoon

May have to look at it again today

Thanks