Which GPS and which Software?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by HumboldtMG, Sep 1, 2010.

1. HumboldtMG

HumboldtMG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,I guess I should introduce myself again since I'm still very new to this forum. I'm Max, very new to the world of riding in general but even newer to the world of touring.

My question is what kind of GPS device should I get, what kind of mount and what kind of software to create the tracks on the computer (I have Mac and PC so either works!) :norton

Thanks for any future suggestions!

Max aka HumboldtMG
  2. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being a N00b, let me suggest perusing the "stickied" thread at the top of this page and coming back with specific questions. Otherwise you're gonna get a as many different answers as there are gps's and inmates.
  3. HumboldtMG

HumboldtMG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my bad. Will do.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that's a broad question.
    obviously garmin is the giant.
    what's your terrain preference? paved (nuvi or zumo units) or dirt (60/62 units) dictates.
    i know germany has almost no dirt available so maybe a nuvi 500 or a zumo.
  5. HumboldtMG

HumboldtMG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True, it's hard to find dirt where you can legally ride in Germany, just from the quick look at the Garmin website, I would prefere a 62 over a nuvi or zumo (the zumo sure is nice but also twice the price...) would a 62 (s, st, whatever...) be useless in everyday use on the street?
  6. FolsomTony

FolsomTony Fat Tony

Oddometer:
    Almost all handhelds will need some additional maps to be of any use on the street. The Zumo and Nuvi have street maps already, not sure how good the German maps are, I assume as detailed as the US. The 62st has topo maps, and very little street detail. Make sure that you add up map costs to get a realistic picture of what you are getting into.

I have two GPSr. A small handheld with topo for the trails, and a steetpilot with City Navigator for the road.
  7. Seppo

Seppo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey max,

i use a garmin gpsmap 60csx, the old version of the 62.

first, the 60/62 are bulletproof, robust, reliable. thats their most important feature. they are usefull on the road aswell, just keep in mind, you can´t plug in ear phones, there is no bluetooth or any other fancy stuff. its just a gps device. some like it that way, others don´t, thats up to you. the 60 feels really robust when you put it i your hand, i like it that way.

Software: these days you can download every important software from the garmin homepage. for windows and now also for mac. i use mac and roadtrip, aswell as some of the other helpers. pretty easy.
    if you need maps, you should have a look at the openstreetmap site. you can download them for free and use them. i have an osm austria map on my device.

for mounting the handheld, you should have a look at the touratech site. at least you get some idea of the possibilities you have.

cheers
    josef
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  9. HumboldtMG

HumboldtMG Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. HumboldtMG

HumboldtMG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Servus Josef,

I really like the 62st, I'm planning to use RoadTrip by Garmin because my main computer is a Mac, glad to hear that it works!

I'm gonna take a look at openstreetmap! Thanks for the pointer... :D

Max