Which GPS can take you on a nice backroad ride?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by men8ifr, May 11, 2010.

1. men8ifr

men8ifr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My navman is a bit limited if I want to travel say 100miles but would like to do it on B roads (UK) I usually end up on motorways :(

Are there any units good for taking you on a back route say exclusively b roads?
  2. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Dirt? or just paved back roads, if you don't mind dirt, gotta say that my Delorme GPS ( PN40) and Topo 8.0 will route you on some great backroad rides, but it does not differentiate between dirt and paved. Some of the most fun rides and roads I have been on have been from my Delorme mapping.
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mid-model StreetPilot's (notably the 2610) had a feature for road preferences. Via three (or four?) sliding scales you could prefer highways, secondary roads, or surface streets and the GPS would calculate your route based on your preferences.

[​IMG]

My GPSmap 478 also has this feature, and I suspect the 378, 278, 376, and 276 also do this.

It works moderately well, though I've never tried it outside the US. I would guess it would generally keep you off the A and M roads in Britain. Others who have tried it can confirm.

Almost all Garmin units also have a "avoid highways" setting, which I find works sometimes, doesn't work other times. Again, I haven't had a chance to try it outside the US.

Jamie
  4. Bill_Z

Bill_Z Dude! chill,...

Oddometer:
    I had this preference on my Magellan Crossover and it was pretty sweet because it would ask if you wanted "fastest, shortest, avoid freeways, etc." and it worked very well.

If my Garmin Legend HCx has anything like this, I can't find it.