"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks for the info. yeah, personally, I am happy there are maps to load, available online for free. I was not too happy after I ordered the unit and realized it came with basically nothing loaded on it. Kinda kike a car coming with no seats or steering wheel. :rofl
  2. rags_splat

rags_splat Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    i'm surfin around here too long an cant get a definitive answer, so,

if i can find either one for the "same" price 650+/-
    what is my better bet??

i'm sure the 550 is fine for my purposes but if i can get the "better" model for the same price with out any real problems should I?
    the 660 seemes to have some technical matters of complaint, are they resolved or is that why its priced the same as its predicessor?

thanks in advance!
  3. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I don’t think there is a best. I like my Zumo 450:deal :lol3
    The Zumo 550 may handle tracks better then the Nuvi based 660
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    This http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529086 may help you<o:p></o:p>
  4. squatingdog

squatingdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whats wrong with the under $160 gps from costco ??i understand its not waterproof but what else is not good for mc ??thanks
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    It may be great but I don’t know WTF GPS it is:lol3
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    What do you want a GPS for?
    How are you going to power it and mount it on your bike? And what is that going to cost?
    If the GPS is a Garmin, Mapsource is frustrating but handy to have. That will cost another $100
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :huh

Yeah, a model number would help.

BTW, Mapsource can be had for free, it's the maps to go with it that cost.
  7. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Garmin 1300 for 135. May not be waterproof, but its touch screen and just put in your map pocket. Easy.
  8. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Well yeah, you want the maps that correspond to what is in your GPS. At least I do. For me the GPS is all about routing; 99% anyway.:deal
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to make it clear that Mapsource and the maps (City Nav, Topo, etc) are two different things:D
  10. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a Navigon 7100 or 7200 from TigerDirect, refurb for $80. This was over 2 years ago, and it has worked great for me in the car. I have never updated the map file (I think it is a 2007 map) so I'm stuck with old data as I don't want to shell out the $80 for a new map file.

My suggestion would be that if you have a trip coming up and think you could use it, get it otherwise, wait to get the latest maps. Buy it early enough before your trip that you can get used to it.
  11. squatingdog

squatingdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry i forgot to tell which gps garmin nuvi 265t $129 i have a ram mount and would have to buy a ram waterproof box, i have a cigar lighter plug at the ram mount base
  12. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    That is a pretty good GPS I think but I am pretty sure you would be happier with a 550. Another $100. Cradle and wiring about $25
    I don’t think the touch screen will be easy to use in a wet box. A lot of errors and if it is not easy to use you won’t use it
  13. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    Can I load a route/track that I've created with Google maps into a Nuvi 500 or 550?

thanks,
    Hugh
  14. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    If you mean the Ram Aqua box, I don't think there'll be any problem using the touchscreen. Not on my tests so far, anyway.
  15. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I have an aquabox for my TT720, and when in the box, it actually works better IMO. Something about the silicone flexible shield makes the TT sense the touch better.
  16. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Oh, that surprises me. Good to know though, thanks
  17. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2610 that I have used for years & been quite happy. I use it on my KTM 990, a ST1300 & the truck. The unit still works but the touch screen is DOA & I have to use the remote. I am thinking of replacing it with a 2720 unit. They are available at a reasonable cost. They have solid state memory per Garmin but no chip to load.

Is there any reason that I should not do this?

Opinions? :huh

Thanks.
  18. 17forever

17forever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have two 2720s that have worked well for both bikes and cages, however were not able to upload latest maps from garmin a week ago. You might want to check into this before buying.
  19. roc104

roc104 We got this!

Oddometer:
    I am doing the TAT in June with 3 other bikes and a chase truck. All the bikes have 60Csx gps units with TAT tracks, and I have a Quest II in the truck now. My girlfriend is driving the truck with two dogs for copilots :eek1 . All three have equal gps experience but the dogs probably have a better sense of direction.

The Quest II sucks for route calculating and rerouting...I want 1) a gps that I can put our tracks into so she knows where we are 2) I can put in a separate route for her so she knows where and how to intercept us 3) Has auto routing capability in case my selected course for her is a goat trail, there is a road block, etc.

The truck gps would primarily stay in the truck for road use, but might go on a V-Strom for long distance trips later.

The bikes will be running TOPO or Roads and Rec. I assume I can only put one active map on any gps, so the truck would run Street or similar.

Any advice is appreciated.
  20. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a pretty quick way to her becoming an "exgirlfriend..." :rofl

Reminds me of a joke - "What's the difference between being married for 10 years and a Garmin Quest?"

Re - Truck GPS - maybe a Garmin Nuvi 500/550, but certainly one which supports multiple waypoints along a route.

And you can put lots of maps on the truck unit, and just select the one which best suits the current situation. I have Topo and City Navigator in my Nuvis and sometime Topo has better info than CN so it pays to search on both.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.