"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hi all...

The best GPS for making your own tracks seem to be the discontinued models: 267c; 376c; 60Csx...these can still be had on e-bay or some leftovers in stores nearby? However some of these are not too expandable using S/D cards. I have the Zumo 450 which many find useless for real time "tracking" as it will always find a route instead. I am contemplating doing the TAT with the Zumo for routes that are available on Mapsource and have others lug along another "track" following model. Any suggestions....
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    60CSx is discontinued? I don't think so!
  3. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I just bought a brand new one myself. Even came with a 1 Gig card instead of a 64 Mb one. :D
  4. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    You're right..it is still available. Thank you. Anyone can say anything good about it in regard to drawing "tracks"?
  5. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    You mean leaving tracks?? I used that feature the other day. Seems to work fine for me.
  6. roc104

roc104 We got this!

Oddometer:
    I hope not! She is a rare bear when it comes to women, I would like to keep her around.:clap

So with the Nuvi I could download tracks and routes from various Mapsource products to the same unit at the same time? I dont need her to have TOPO visible, it would not do her much good. So I would just keep it on Street, as long as she could see our tracks.

I know the 276 is exactly what I am asking for, but with it discontinued I was looking for other options. thanks.
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The track feature on the 60 CSx is very functional - it allows you to save them directly to the Micro SD card, and has useful options as to the frequency of track points.
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    A track is a track is a track - doesn't matter what maps are loaded/visible.

Why not just have her use another 60CSx? It will do everything a 276 will (except maybe voice directions?), some things better.
  9. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Hi....

Am familiar with tracks being created by any GPS if so selected. I meant drawing "tracks" using the track tool. Tracking over unknown terrain that the Mapsource has no road/route for.

If drawing your own tracks Zumo will force you to the nearest route which I don't want. Example: shooting across the Nevada desert by following a track that I created.
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You can load 20 tracks of up to 500 points each to a 60CSx. They can all be displayed at the same time or you can pick and choose which one(s) you want to display. They can each be an individual color. To navigate them you simply follow the line on your sceen. There is no distance or direction info given. It does NOT change your track to a route like a Zumo.

Other 60 CSx limits to be aware of:
    50 routes total
    "Follow roads" autoroutes are limited to 50 waypoints/viapoints each
    "off road" or direct routes can have up to 250 points.

When you transfer a "follow roads" route to a 60CSx, only the waypoints/viapoints transfer. The unit will then calculate the route again using whatever routing preferences you have set in it. You must be sure have the routing prefences in Mapsource and in the unit set as close to possible to the same, and then add enough via points to the route to force it to go the way you want. Sounds complicated, it's really not. Do a search on "60Cx routing issues" if you want more info.
  11. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Zumo's track conversion algorithm is not perfect (especially with mixed on road and off road tracks) and at this point I would prefer tracks however.......you can make an off road route (no roads) from tracks (yours or somebody elses) on the Zumo.

The Zumo 660 and perhaps the 220 can handle more off road points than the Zumo 550/450 can but the conversion process is similar.

In terms of logging tracks, the Zumo auto logs tracks for months.
  12. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    This was quoted by some other ADV rider to me....

"You can draw tracks to your heart's content. It will be a useful exercise in Mapsource on your PC in that it will familarize you with the route you intend to follow. But you won't be able to send that track to your Zumo and get anything useful. Do you get that? The Zumo _always_ converts a track to a route. Since your track goes places your Zumo doesn't have a road for, it will do the best it can. The route the Zumo creates is unlikely to be anywhere near your intended travel, since you gave it a dead-end and the Zumo will do its best to get you from your starting location to your ending location.

You should try this out with a track that does not follow a road and see what you get. Hate for you to get too big a surprise in the middle of nowhere and no PC or Google Maps to help out."

13. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have converted many times with good results....a man has to know his and his machine's limitations.

In the case of the 550 one should filter off road tracks to about 250 points or split the tracks....don't think there is a problem now (since 3.5 firmware) with the 660 in terms of track points numbers or the conversion. Sometimes there is slight conversion disconnect if the track is very near a mapset road on a mixed track but I am aware of that and look to see if there are any foul ups.

Someday a Zumo will have the pure track import capability till then I will use the workarounds. And now, if I really screw it up I can always follow my own tracks out.:D

However to be fair you have to look at tracks closely too as at least with mine as there are deads ends, turn arounds, "break" stops which confuse the perfect track ...so I clean them too for later use.
  14. TUCKNKITTY

TUCKNKITTY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been commuting to work year round (lucky me) on my bike for years now and just recently got a used 2820 and a GXM-30. It has completely changed my commute and with much fewer wires then running an ipod and trying to fumble with a remote control. But GPS seems to be lacking some features that I would prefer (tracking, the ability to adjust fields, the ability to load routes into the unit with out being recalculated). I do like the touch-screen (sometimes...) and the bluetooth with the phone (which i've never used because i can't figure out how to use it with my autocomm logic). So my question is- after a recent warranty service/replacement on my 2820 for moisture behind the screen. I was wondering if the 478 would be a more suitable GPS for my needs. I am looking forward to several trips this year and would like to able to follow routes that I have put together. I would lose the BT and the touch screen but I would gain some a more 'usable' GPS right? I kind of feel like the 2820 is a more entry level GPS when it comes to the users ability to interact and manipulate the route/settings/fields. Is it worth the swap?
  15. porkchop097

porkchop097 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for my first gps. looks like i could get a 2610 pretty reasonable. Is this a good idea?
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Based on the info you've given us to ponder, I think not. :evil
  17. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I have posted and have read and read and many of you have commented.

Thanks,

I have narrowed my options down to the Oregon 550 and one of the Zumo's...

I can figure out what I want based on size of screen and XM, mounting, battery life, camera/no camera,music/no-music etc.etc. which is how I got to these two - I am cool deciding on that but what I need help with...

I am a noob with GPS and am getting a better understanding of tracks and routes and differences and it seems that for backcountry - off map/road navigation I am better off with the Oregon???

I don't feel like doing the workarounds that need to be done to get the Zumo to do this efficiently - am I wrong?

Is the bigger screen and other functions of the Zumo series worth the workarounds for some of the navigation functions or is the Oregon better for getting me into and out of the back country while sitting on my bike?

Dean
  18. porkchop097

porkchop097 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont know much about tracking routes and all that. Just wanted something to help me plan my route or tell me how to get to specific address or maybe campsite. I looked on ebay could maybe buy one under $100.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Well if you actually plan to do anything aside from using the gps as jewelry on your bike, you're going to need to do a bit 'o learning - try reading the manual to see if it makes sense to you.

Here's the Garmin 2610 page.

And this is the page of manuals.

Read up and bring back your questions - only you can tell if it's the one for you. It's not a bad unit, and for $100 it would be a good starter but only if you can figure it out.
  20. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a GPS that allows me to do all the trip planning/routing on my computer and then lets me just send to the GPS and have the GPS give me on the bike turn-by-turn guidance. Is there such a beast?

I have a TomTom for my car and love it, but I really have to work at getting it to take the route I want. It always seems to think I want to take the quick way there. On my bike I always take the long scenic route. And TomTom's computer mapping application sucks. Will a garmin Zumo do what I'm asking? Or is it also going to be a wrestling match?

I read a few posts ago someone saying this wouldn't work on a Zumo or maybe I misunderstood his post.

What I don't want to do is have too mark every freak'n turn as a waypoint and then load all that to the GPS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.