"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Zumo works great for that purpose ie routing. It will work for dirt road navigation as well...when the roads are on a mapset. Some comprimises for pure off road but there are workarounds.
  2. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Currently the stuff I'm riding are county roads here in Texas. These roads are on maps and graded. No off road. So I can use the mapsource application to build my route and then transfer it to the GPS and it will tell me when and where to turn? Great, I'll put it on the wish list. Any model Zumo does this well, or are certain models better at this?
  3. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any of the Zumo will work for your application. Just grab the features you like. I have been touring with the 550 since its introduction in late 2006. Mapsource is a tough pill to swallow at first but you get used to it.

My "dirty" experiences with the Zumo 550 on the KLR are on a thread on KLR650.net and Zumo forums. My road experiences with the 550 are on VFRD.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59662
  4. Ólsari

Ólsari Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hawe anyone try that one on gs 1200. does it work with blutouth and so on..............:bmwrider
  5. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hi All...

I've been "educated" about my beloved Zumo from this whole thread, although I have been all over the US and Canada, even Labrador and it's gravel roads. It has opened my eyes to it's limitations and have tested it myself. It particularly surprised me when I was ready to plan routes for the TAT from Sam's maps which can be routed reasonably well until the road ends and you need to create "tracks" to get to the other end of a real route.

I have been put through mazes of-- "Cannot do and can do" of the Zumo. The Zumo is primarily for routes(roads) that are there in the Zumo GPS. What's on Mapsource is different. You can draw anything to your hearts contend on Mapsource BUT the ZUMO will NOT accept unknown roads or created Tracks to be downloaded on the Zumo GPS. It will route your creation of "Tracks" or unknown roads to an actual road stored in say 2010.2. The Zumo is NOT a good "tracking" GPS tool. If you just do routes(normal roads that you can trace or go to autorouting) then the Zumo is for you. Wanna jump off road and plow with your GS; KLR; DRZ across a farmers field to get to the other side of a real road: forget it!!

The better ones for offroad "tracking"(not leaving tracks but making your own tracks) is the Garmin 60CSx; discontinued 276c;376c 476,.
  6. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have better luck I guess with converted tracks on off road (no road in mapset) routes with the Zumo. Still would prefer following tracks though if I had the option...although of course you can follow your own current tracks back out if you need to.

I have converted off road tracks to routes from my own tracks, other tracks (downloads) and drawn tracks.

Here is a screenshot example following a track conversion where there is no road in the mapset.
    [​IMG]

Not sure what your Zumo setting are but I find that turning recalc off and going to offroad mode solves the probem for me of recalcs/routing to roads in the Zumo mapset.
  7. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
  8. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    That is not in the directions.:lol3
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    That is my experience; I have had to play with my Zumo to figure out what it will do.
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
  10. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    This is my fear. I really don't want to be fooling the device to get it to work. For the money they want for these things, they ought to work well out of the freak'n box. I don't want to spend $600-800 US and then have to manually draw roads or tracks to get it working right. If I have to do that, I'll get the TomTom rider 2 for $400 (it comes with a RAM mount and a Scala headset) and force that baby to work. That also saves me time and money NOT having to get a PC to run this stuff on (I can use my Mac with the TomTom). So, the TomTom is a 1/4 of the price of a Zumo and I already know how to get that baby to work.

I don't know why none of the GPS manufacturers get it. Most motorcyclists don't take the shortest or fastest route, but the one they consider more fun and often safer. This seems especially true of DSers. Yet telling these devices where you want to go and what roads you want to take to get there is always a chore. Its never so simple to just point and click...
  11. ktmpilot

ktmpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thinking of getting a GPS for dirt roads, road allowances, etc, any comments on these two - in the comparison they seem similar but price varies?

thanks
    Mike
  12. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    60csx by far. I have tough time operating my eTrex sitting in my living room, yet alone on the bike. Zoom, options, screen size, you name it the 60 beats it hands down. Any, you can add memory to the 60. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  13. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    The ability to add memory is key. Map sizes add up quickly.

Cheers,
    Adam
  14. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Def 60CSx
  15. Sabre

Sabre Prêt? Allez! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to the GPS forum and look there...more info than you can shake a stick at.

I'm looking for a great deal on an Oregon 300 myself....
  16. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One problem with the Legend is that if you power it externally, corrosion starts to affect the USB port. For that reason, and for the bigger screen, I bought a 60csx. The 60Csx has a port for the older GPSIII style power supply plug that is much tougher.

I'll keep the Legend and use it for hiking or something.
  17. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    yup
  18. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, so after years of dithering, I finally went ahead and ordered a GPS unit - a new in the box StreetPilot 2820 from Amazon. I did the model comparison on the Garmin site, and based on what I saw, and that I had received a Touratech mount for the StreetPilots several years ago, this seemed like a good model for me.

I am now getting some software for my MacBook (RoadTrip for Mac, POI Loader, some other stuff from their site). Is there anything else I need to think about? I got this model because it seemed to have flexibility for the future. I don't have an XM or Sirius account (and I am not sure I want one for a bike), but the weather and traffic options seem like a good idea. It also has Bluetooth, but since I don't even have a cell phone, I am wondering if that will mean anything to me.

I will read the owner's manual carefully once it gets her (perhaps as soon as tomorrow). But based on the collective experience, what should I be thinking about at this point (besides how to turn the darn thing on!)?

Thanks!
  19. PJames61

PJames61 Always an Adventure

Oddometer:
    I use the 60csx for road and dirt and love it. I had a screen problem with mine after about one year and Garmin replaced it FREE of charge. :clap
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was the screen problem? Mine seems a bit too dim.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.