"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth

Garth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! Now...is it a "update" that can be done on line? Or did the new models come out with it? I am just wondering if a 3 year old one is the same as a new one....
  2. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most if not all Garmins can be updated on line. A used Zumo may have updates already depending on the previous owners inclination to update.
  3. Garth

Garth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much! :D
  4. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Most newer Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.

This includes the 2xxx series!

JR356
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
  5. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    I've been researching my first GPS purchase, and could use a little input.
    I've pretty much got it narrowed down to a Garmin 60csx, or legend hcx. Then this morning I discovered the DeLorme PN-40, and PN-30. The only difference I can find in the specs is that the Garmins hold 20 tracklogs, and the DeLormes hold 10 tracklogs. Both brands hold 1000 waypoints, and 50 routes with 10k waypoints per route. The only quandry is that the Delormes look like they are easier to read the maps. Unless that is just good marketing by their web designers. They are all priced comprably.

I do a lot of exploring for dirt/ seasonal use only roads, and some trail riding. I want to be able to save specific roads/ trails in order to put them in a file on my computer, and coordinate the ones I like best into loops, or routes.

I am not techno savy, and would appreciate any input, insights, and experience regarding any of these units, especially in relation to performance, and ease of use. Thanks in advance.
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Garmin Oregon! Surprised nobody's mentioned it already. The one thing lacking on it is that the only power connection is through the mini usb connector, but it has many advantages:

[​IMG][​IMG]

- higher res screen than most other handheld units
    - waterproof to IPX7 standard
    - wireless track and waypoint transfer between compatible units
    - allows you to create and load your own custom maps

- you can have many mapsets on the micro-sd card, keeping each map type separate, but still accessible in the gps - this is especially handy if you just want to update something small in a particular map, but not blow away all the other map installations.

Most other gps map installs are to 1 file on the gps so any change requires reloading everything.

I have 2 550s and they are great! Sold my 60 and 76 CSx units shortly after I bought the 550s.
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Also forgot to mention the "profiles" feature - very handy in that you can create separate car or bike profiles which store map availability settings so if you normally use City Navigator and calculate "On Road for Time" when you're in the car, you can set it to Topo maps if you have them and "Off road" in your bike profile.

You can create multiple (and seemingly limitless) variations on these profiles to suit any occasion.
  8. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I think if you install a cheap GPS on a BMW bike, it will reject the transplant. :lol3

and yes, its all about the rider - +1
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    You have two 550 what? I didn't think you used Zumo’s
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Oregons. That's what I was describing.
  11. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Yes you where, sorry.:norton
    For some reason I thought you used Nuvi’s. Apparently you have many models. I only have a Zumo 450 which I like a lot but it’s hardly perfect
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've got 3 Nuvis right now, but I wouldn't mind getting a 550 Nuvi too.
  13. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Oh you do, maybe you can help me out?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I have a long time riding buddy that I bought a Nuvi 550 for, a birthday present. We see each other rarely now, he lives 200 miles away.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Anyway, I don’t think he is going to use the Nuvi but he might. He primarily rides a DRZ 400 on the street but he has other bikes too.
    Is there an inexpensive mount for the Nuvi you can recommend?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I saw one on Amazon that looks good but I am not sure
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Handlebar-Custom-Cradle-Garmin/dp/B0027RK8AQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1265396254&sr=8-2-spell
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I'm partial to RAM mounts, myself. Click the image below to see details on the GPSCity site.

[​IMG]

Never heard of the other on Amazon.
  15. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Thanks Emm…, I like the cradle
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Is there a ball on the back of that cradle I can’t see?
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Ball mounts to that diamond shaped area on the back of the cradle.
  17. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I thought that might be it.
    Does the ball have a diamond shape mount too or is it like my Zumo? The ball is on a round mount.
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Dude, it's the RAM system - it requires a ball mount behind the cradle, an arm (shorter the better to prevent vibes from becoming a problem) and a mount on the handlebars.

All the RAM stuff is really cheap - but very solid. It would likely cost from $30 to $50 to do the whole job of mounting the unit to handlebars depending on the options chosen.

Check the other RAM components on the GPSCity site.

This is what most people use as the base. Again, click the image for more information.

[​IMG]
  19. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I know dude.
    I don’t see all the parts at the link you gave me. I’d like to get this right on the first shot. It’s a gift.
    Calm down, go play with your <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Oregon</st1:place></st1:State>’s or something:deal
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You need the base, as pictured in a previous post, this part:

[​IMG]

And a diamond back for the cradle:

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.