"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    all the mounts come with the ball that attaches to the back of the mount itself. Sorry for the crude pic..just snapped it quick. This mount is for my TomTom 720.

[​IMG]
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Unless you're buying a kit, all RAM parts are sold separately. If you bought a cradle, it wouldn't come with a ball mount unless you asked for it.
  3. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    It’s the diamond ball I don’t see but now that I know there is a diamond ball, I will find it.
    Thank you<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Click the pictures I posted - they are direct links to the parts.
  5. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    I was just showing him what the ball that attaches to the mount(cradle) looks like. I have bought three cradles from a shop here in NJ, and each time, they came that ball mount diamond thing. I guess some places may charge extra for it, but seems silly since the cradle is useless with out it.

The arms and how it mounts to the bike are separate and extra though..at least from the place I buy from.
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You're lucky the shop is supplying the diamond mount - the first time I ordered one, I had to wait another week because nobody told me I'd need to order the mount separately...

But now I rarely need to order the diamond mount since I'm normally mounting a different cradle to an existing mount when I upgrade my gps, and that's pretty often.

I have so many extra RAM parts here now I could practically open a store!

I have a mount for a 255W - the gps long gone. 2 or 3 mounts for the 60 series, at least 2 for a 76, one for a Nuvi 850, 780, 660, a few Oregon mounts, tons of bases, the list goes on.

Since RAM parts are so cheap I tend to double almost any order I make to them... that way I've got extras when I (or friends) need them.
  7. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I thought I did but I&#8217;ll look again. As I said, it&#8217;s only the diamond ball I didn&#8217;t see
    Thank you<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  8. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    yeah, I first ordered a ram mount and Aquabox, for a TomTom One my wife got for me for Xmas a couple years ago..not realizing it was not really well suited for bikes.

Then, I ordered a TT720 for street riding, and a craddle mount system for it. Its NOT waterproof, so I can throw it in same aquabox if the need arises.

Recently, I got a DRZ and am getting into offroading..so I ordered a Garmin 60Cx, and got a mount for it. That is hopefully the last GPS I order for a while...I am more than covered, on road or off. :wink:

Needless to say, I have some spare parts too...not nearly as many as you. :D
  9. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    GPS prices are out of control! Most cell phones have GPS chips included in them and it adds little to the cost. How does functionality that is so cheap for a cell phone morph into $500-800 for a Garmin GPS? Time you fork out the dollars for the Zumo and the bluetooth helmet headset (sold separately) you're paying about $800 to 900 for the privilege of not getting lost. I think I'll either stick with the $20 map atlas or ride with someone who has already drank the GPS cool aid.
  10. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    So, I've never had GPS on a motorcycle before but now that I got my 990 Adv I thought that it's time to finally step up and be done with the maps. So basically I'm wondering what GPS you're using or which you recommend. I would like one that can handle water, can charge from the bike and which I can upload routes to (so that I can plan a route at home on my computer and then upload it). Can the Zumo do all this or is there another one that is better? Thanks :1drink
  11. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Zumo is a gread device. It is water proof, been through some seriously torrential downpours without any issue. It does charge while mounted, if you have wired it properly that is. Uploading routes can be done as well. There is a whole thread for GPS talk, have a read in there what people are saying.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
  12. kikele

kikele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zumo comes with all mounting hardware, also you could pair it with your bluetooth cell phone and headset. There you have 3 options Zumo 550, 660 or 665.
  13. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    You know there is a GPS forum here.:eek1
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    It sounds like you want a Zumo but no GPS replaces a good paper map:deal
  14. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Ah, there is a GPS forum. I'm stupid :doh

Guess a mod will move this then eventually.
  16. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I don't understand how Zumos are so much more. I want waterproof though. But then just now, after reading on here, the 500/550 are waterproof.

Comparing Zumo 660, Nuvi/500/550. Nuvi 500 is out no maps of Canada or Alaska. Display is one inch smaller on Nuvi. No MP3. What else am I missing?

I would have to buy a motorcycle mount seperate. Would I just buy the scooter mount listed on Garmin site?

I want it primarily for touring, but wouldn't mind some off roading too.

So why is Zumo better then Nuvi?
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Zerk, I just bought a Nuvi 500, even though I am a die-hard 60Cx guy. Haven't messed with it yet. Could't pass up a refurb for $150 US. You have it backwards on the maps though - the 500 is the one with no Canada maps. It has City Nav and Topo for the continental US. The 550 has City Nav only, but for all of North America.
  18. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    Yep I had it wrong about 550/500. Hate to be a dumbass, but you got me confused on the rest. Planning an Alaska trip for June, so I am thinking 550.

Looking simply at the compare on Garmin's website, doesn't really show the Zumo or Nuvi as being that much differant. But I am thinking there must be more to it.
  19. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    if you're gonna use Mapsource just make sure you always order the DVD for any new regions and don't download...do a search here on mapsource for more details
  20. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 450. The Zumo came with everything I needed to use completely and mount on and power from the bike. Including Mapsource and the map of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>North America</st1:place> on disk for my home computer
    The Nuvi doesn&#8217;t. The Nuvi 550 I bought for my friend didn&#8217;t even come with any directions for its use
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    With the Zumo I can create routes on my home computer and transfer them to the Zumo. Also I can save my tracks as routes.
    I don&#8217;t believe you can do that with the Nuvi.
    The Zumo also holds a high capacity, low cost, easy to access SD card on which maps can be stored and used or routes. And of course, the Zumo has Bluetooth capabilities
    <o:p></o:p>
    I see the Zumo 550 for sale at Costco for 599. You can get a Nuvi 550 for less then half that price. The Nuvi 550 is a pretty damn good GPS I think but it is missing some capabilities and harder for the first time GPS user to use:deal
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.