"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Actually you can get a Nuvi 550 for a fraction of that - it's $149 at Drivengps.com (Refurbished)
  2. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that summary!
  3. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I want it for touring, so I would want to hook it up to the computer and do trip planning. Sounds like I would need to buy the map source disk to do this.

I just have a hard time swallowing the price of the Zumo, seems like I am being gouged. But I don't know all the details.
  4. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem I see with the Nuvi 500/550 for touring is that there is no way to get audio prompts to your helmet. There is a speaker but you can not hear that............and there is no 3.5mm jack for audio output via earspeakers or earbuds.

Voice directions are handy when you are lost on tour. You can look down but better to keep your eyes on the road and look for signs etc!
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Zumo 550 and Nuvi 550 compared on Garmin's site
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=133&compareProduct=27442&compareProduct=414

There's some more info on the Nuvi(s) in the Nuvi threadfest. I've been asking about the 500 on the last few pages
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118162

Emmbeedee, he's in Canada like you and the Drivengps deal is only for the 500 (no Canada maps).

Zerk, I agree that it's hard to see why the Zumos are so much more than the Nuvi 500/550.
    I'm going to play with my new Nuvi 500 in the cage, but we are still snowed in around here so I won't be riding for quite a while. I'll report any findings though.
  6. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I looked at the comparision on the Garmin site. Pretty much the same as far as columns go. But how do they compare for trip planning? I want to play with it on my computer and then download it to GPS.
  7. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin 60CX--I like it a lot. Then I figured I'd get the more bike-oriented specialized Zumo 450. I don't like the interface or the touchscreen The 60 has all you want and more.

(My Zumo will be sold when the weather warms up).
  8. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    That's the smart way there. If you want to pick the specific roads you'll be on, then planning the route on the computer is the best way to go. If you let it auto-route you and are fine getting there on the roads its picks, then downloading them from a computer is not important. Of course, it doesn't sound like the Nuvi will let you load GPS tracks from other people either. Is this true?
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you can do that with the Nuvi .
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Auto routing on my Zumo is terrific and I expect it is for the Nuvi too. Auto routing/ shortest distance is very flexible; works very well for me. It&#8217;s not too often that I make up dedicate routes any longer.
    <o:p></o:p>
    If I was taking a long trip, I would not make up a long dedicated route. I might make up short ones. But auto routing and a good paper map would do the job great.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Last September I crossed western <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Oregon</st1:place></st1:State>, north to south, all on back roads auto routing/shortest distance with 6 key addresses I got from Mapsource.:D

BTW, I can turn my tracks into routes what is to stop me from sharing those routes with other Zumo users?
  10. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Costco's is a good place to get this stuff from. If you don't like it, you can take it to any Costco's location and get everything (including shipping) refunded in the first 90 days. Costco also extends the manufacturers warranty to 2 or 3 years I think. You may be able to beat the price, but the service is good at Costco.
  11. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    FAQ from Garmin says you can.

"Routes can be created on the computer in MapSource and then transfer them to the Nuvi 500, 700, 705, 800, 805 or 5000 series."
  12. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

OK.

:D

:wave
  13. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    That changes my opinion. If I was buying a GPS now, I’d buy a Nuvi. :eek1
  14. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only two things really bother me about the Nuvi 500/550.....no 3.5mm jack and you apparently can not turn off recalc which can be a problem off road sometimes.
  15. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I was thinking in my case ordering a Nuvi 500 wouldn't be a bad thing even if I am in Canada - I have Topo Canada V4 I could load on it and then have all the Topo in the US and Canada in one unit.
  16. LookOutLinn

LookOutLinn Strom Trooper

Oddometer:
    Has anyone shopped at this site? If so, did you buy the Nuvi 500? What do you think. I've only had an older E-Trex for hiking. I spend 99% of my time on black top or fire roads (I own a V-Strom). I'd like to get/give routes/tracks. Also, I'm just going to get 1 GPS for both the auto and the bike. O, did I mention cheap? My wife only allows cheap. Is the Nuvi 500 going to work for me?
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I just bought one from that site, good service. I am a 60Cx user, so this Nuvi is way different. I have played with it some and I think it will be useful.
    That said, it pretty much won't work with tracks at all. They must be converted to routes and reduced to 250 points (maybe less, but I have heard 250). There are some 3rd party softwares that will do it, trackmaster and gpsbabel (I think). It definitely isn't like your eTRex for track handling though.
    I have loaded several of my routes to the Nuvi 500 fine, but have't tried actually following one yet. There is no way to turn off the "off route recalculation" which may or may not be an issue depending on *how* it recalcs.
    I bought the "UNIVERSAL MOUNTING CRADLE WITH POWER CABLE (BARE WIRES)" which comes with a power cord/transformer for direct wire and a pretty good cradle with a RAM ball on the back. It's hard to tell that it's a RAM ball in the pics. I wish I would have known because I bought a RAM cradle too:huh The Garmin cradle in this kit actually looks better than the RAM cradle IMHO though.
    http://www.offroute.com/product/view_product.asp?x_ID=149253&CatID=14248&p=0
    I've been asking about the Nuvi in the Nuvi threadfest here
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118162
  18. LookOutLinn

Oddometer:
    So I should get this:
    Do the wires just hook up to the battery?

Is there anything else I'll need to buy so that I can hook it up to my bike?

What's the difference between "Tracks" and "Routes"?

Sorry about all the noob questions....but I'm a noob.

So for everyday riding (black top roads & fire roads), the Nuvi 500 will be fine ?
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You *can* use the included cigarette lighter plug if you have a socket for your bike, but you would have to get a cradle (included one is good for car only). Yes, you can wire it straight to the battery or other 12v power source.

You would still need a RAM mount ball on your bike and one of the arms.
    examples
    http://www.offroute.com/product/view_product.asp?x_ID=148757&CatID=14334
    http://www.offroute.com/product/view_product.asp?x_ID=148753&CatID=14334

Tracks vs routes
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420446

You will be able to share your rides with others as the Nuvi 500 does record a "trip log" (called a track log in other Garmins). However you won't be able to use someone else's tracks unless you convert them to routes.

Other notes:
    The Nuvi 500 doesn't come with a USB cable (mini USB I think?) to hook to the computer. You may already have one for another device that will work though. I had one from my 60Cx.
    The Nuvi 500 has preloaded maps, but it doesn't come with a DVD so you can't load Mapsource or the maps on your computer. If you already have Mapsource and some maps installed you can use them for planning, although you will have to recalculate the routes in the Nuvi since you will have different maps between the computer and the unit. If you already have Mapsource you *may* be able to register at mygarmin.com and get a free map update which will update both the Nuvi and your Mapsource maps. Not 100% on that though. I already have Mapsource with old City Select v7 maps, but if I did the update it would force me to use the latest Mapsource which will drag down my ancient computer. May not be an issue for you.

There's no way to get the voice directions from the Nuvi into your helmet.

So far I've only played with the Nuvi 500 at home and in my truck, so I haven't actually used it on the bike. Still snowy here.

As long as you plan to ride on any kind of road shown on the Garmin maps I think it will work fine -especially for 150 bucks:deal
  20. LookOutLinn

Oddometer:
    Great info!!! Ok, I'm going to get it.

Thanks tbirdsp!!! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.