"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I noticed there's a company in France putting out a voice tube which is supposed to allow you to hear your gps directions in your helmet, for those like the Nuvi 500/550 which don't have bluetooth or a mini audio plug.

I'll see if I can find the site...
  2. SaintEx

SaintEx n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anybody tell me from experience that an iPhone, Garmin Zumo 550 and Scala Q2 will all pair and function together?
  3. T-Stoff

T-Stoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to decide? They're ALL really very good, in their own little ways. :clap So far, here's what I ended up collecting since my first one in '95...

[​IMG]

Still no end in sight.
  4. 2Vulcans

2Vulcans Let's go...

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I am moving soon to Syria for 3 years and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what GPS to bring along. One preferably I could also use for hiking. The usual Garmin 60csx or something else?

Thanks!
  5. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    Yep, I sure do feel so when reading about GPSs. Any help would be deeply appreciated. I like my maps, but sometimes they're not easy to use.

I need a GPS that would do both inland waters and roads (for kayaking and biking), and also serve for car trips when/if needed. I don't really need track ability, most of my rides are on tarmac or fire roads, no single tracks for me yet. So, I was set on the 378.

However, I just realised that I will not be able to create any routes with the 378. Is there a unit able to do both? Is the Nuvi 500 able to handle those tasks? As far as I know I'd still have to buy maps for water use, or maybe not?

If anyone has a piece of advice, please share it.
  6. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replied to your PM, but maybe this will be helpful for others.

I use it (Nuvi 550) on my boat and it would work on a kayak.
    I was going to buy the Garmin G2 marine maps but they recalled them.
    When you add the G2 maps more nav options and windows are supposed to show up when marine mode is picked.

I have one of the free-bee topo maps that has depth contours and it works OK for my use (see screen shot below).

In routing the unit will make multi point routes.
    I have made multi point waterway routes and it goes straight line between the points.

As far as on road auto routing I can get the exact route I want with multiple via points.

[​IMG]
  7. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    ^ thanks, that was helpfull.
  8. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WHAT's THE IDEAL MODEL FOR TRAIL RIDING? I WOULD LIKE TO MAP OUT RIDES PRIOR TO LEAVING THE HOUSE VIA GOOGLE EARTH SO I CAN BE PROMPTED; AND ALSO HAVE THE ABILITY TO SEE WHERE I WENT AFTER I GET HOME IF I SET OFF ON A DIFFERENT ROUTE?
  9. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Mapsource to make routes and/or waypoints on the PC to download to the Nuvi.

I also use Garmins Base Camp.

I have used several other programs to make or edit track files and convert them to routes, but use either Mapsource or Base Camp to load them to the unit.

I believe however any program that will give you routes and/or waypoints in .GPX format can be used.
    It may simply require using explorer on your PC to put them on the unit.
  10. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recently used a 60C, very impressed with the features.
    Loaded Australian Shonkymaps (freeware) Topo and plotted track before venturing onto the trail.
    Data collection etc all worked very nicely, lovely unit, similar to drive to a 276C I used some time back.
    Only issue is I have middleaged eyesight and find the 60C screen a little hard to read without glasses.
    The Zumo's/Nuvi's look good but I need the following features -
    1) Larger display
    2) Tracklog feature
    3) Waterproofing
    4) Prefer landscape orientation
    The Zumo/Nuvi family look the go except I hear a lot of bad press re tracking and auto recalc.
    Not an expert here but I want to plot a route/track on Mapsource, upload and run a tracklog for tracking back in reverse on the home run.
    Many much more knowledgable users out there, any suggestions?
    Many thanks for any assistance offered.
  11. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Zumos do pretty much what you want.
    1. Bigger than 60 screen
    2. Records tracks forever - 220K points
    3. Yes
    4. Yes

You can turn off recalc or require prompting first on the Zumos and also follow your tracks back on the screen as long as they are no more than about two days old or 10K worth of points. Zumos will convert old/other tracks to routes...number of points depends on the unit.
  12. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    A Nuvi 550 wonÂ’t do this?
  13. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    One down side of the the Nuvi 550 is you have to convert tracks to routes before sending them to the unit and it takes another non-garmin program to do so (unless you have the mac version of base camp).
    Yes the Nuvi also lacks the option to turn off the route recalc.

The Nuvi does keep a very long track log.
    Don't know the specs but 2 days of riding and it was not over writing.
    Sure seems like its a lot longer than my 2610 was.
    I know that it saves track logs in multiple files where the 2610 saved only as one.
    I dont know if this is the same as the Zumo's track archiving.

It also has a backtrak feature that will navigate back on your track (or road route depending on the mode you are in) as well as save it, I dont think the Zumo's have that.
  14. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the Zumo you can display the most current 10K tracks on the screen and visually follow those back out..........no guides from the Zumo but it works ok.

Here is an off road track that has been converted to Route. Both the original tracks and the new tracks are superimposed on the route.
    [​IMG]
  15. SprocketTX

SprocketTX Bull in China Shop

Oddometer:
    Here's the thing... I have a paid-for 3 year old 276c and the largest data card it will hold (16mb I think). I've been very happy with my Mexico and more tested 276c, plus I've already got my Vstrom wired for it (using RAM mounts).

Here's the issue... I just bought a new-to-me KTM 690 enduro already wired for a Zuno 500 (or whatever other Zumo uses the same form factor). A Touratech locking mount is already installed too (the cheaper of the two locking ones, less vibration dampening). Never even touched a Zumo...

Soooo... I'm not sure of the pros/cons for each compared to the other as they seem to be different animals. Do I buy a Zumo for use with the setup on my KTM (and buy new mount/wire for Vstrom) , or do I just buy a mount/wire for my 276c to use on the KTM?

There's never been really a time when I wished for more out of my 276c. It's been hella solid, waterproof, and easy to use with gloves. I can spend the $$$ for a Zumo upgrade, if it's really an upgrade and I'll gain something. Not sure it's worth the month just to have a new GPS though...

Input?

Thanks!
  16. ericw

ericw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about replacing my Garmin 2720. I've been satisfied w/ the 2720 and have been able to work around most of the shortcomings regarding tracks. The biggest problem- you have to load only one continuous track so it takes some fancy track work when you're loading multiple tracks (i.e. they've gotta be connected together in to one continuous track). However, I've been able to use it on multiple-day off-road adventures following tracks and then finding closest gas at pavement crossings, it's quite capable IMHO.

What Current Garmin unit will function similarly? My main need - it's gotta have a touch screen. I have an iPhone but I just don't think it's there yet- including it's lack of weatherproof-ness. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. ericw:D
  17. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
  18. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on how you actually use your GPS devices.

276C - big bright screen with very fine control over routing and tracks.

Zumo - dumbed down interface or, if you prefer, a simplified interface with little control over the nav functions. Doesn't handle tracks very well. Does some other geeky things - mp3, telephone etc.

Tell us more about how you will use your device.
  19. ericw

ericw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seems like a good deal for the 500 but the screen is about .5" smaller (width) than the 2720. :cry How about your issue w/ tracks? Can you load a .gpx/.gdb track file on them from mapsource? Thanks, ericw:D
  20. SprocketTX

SprocketTX Bull in China Shop

Oddometer:
    Sure thing... Well, as a GPS only really. My Vstrom is for street riding and has a XM receiver, and I don't need tunes on my KTM as it's for dual-sporty work only. Don't need/want to use a phone when riding anything, ever, so that's moot for me. I'm not a power user and don't use tracks as heavily as some folks seem to, but I do like all the configuration you can do with the 276c...

I think the brass tacks for me, considering a Touratech for the 276c is only about $200 and a Zumo is $700ish, is if there's $500 of stuff I'll use in the Zumo and/or if it has $500ish of new tricks the 276c can't do at all. I can't make heads of tails of the question from garmins site...:huh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.