"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjudge

rjudge Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I don't know about the Zumo but I've got a 276c and a 376c and they will both use a 512mb card from Garmin. That's enough for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the US. Rugged units. The Zumo looks fragile.

Rick
  2. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Why is this so difficult. I was excited to read the little blurb above. Maybe I can use my Mac to plan routes/tracks and send them to the GPS. I downloaded basecamp and launched it. It said I need maps before I can use BaseCamp. But the maps that Garmin sells downloads directly to the GPS device. So I have to use a different map to plan my route and then send it to the GPS receiver? Why can't I download the same map both on my computer and GPS and then I don't get stuck with planning routes on roads that the receiver doesn't recognize?

I'm sure there is a good reason for this, but I really can't think of one at the moment. Have I misunderstood what I thought I had read?
  3. SprocketTX

SprocketTX Bull in China Shop

Oddometer:
    ah it's gotta be a 512mb then. I know it's the largest, just to lazy to go out and check. :)
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    No go on tracks with the Nuvi 500/550. Unlike the Zumo's it doesn't even recognize them (Zumo's change tracks into routes). You can load .gpx and .gdb but only routes and waypoints ("favorites"). You can use free software like WinGDB3 to convert the tracks to routes then navigate them in "off road" mode, although that is limited to 250 points per route from what I've read.

It does record pretty much unlimited tracklogs ("triplogs") though.

It sounds like you are loading tracks into the active log of your 2720, correct? This *might* be possible with the Nuvi 500/550, although I haven't heard of anyone doing it.

Coming from the 60Cx the screen seems huge:lol3

I've only used the Nuvi 500 in the cage so far since we are still snowed in, so take everything with a grain of salt. I still plan on using my 60Cx when I need to follow tracks.
  5. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    One benefit of the mac version of base camp over the PC version is they put a convert track to route option on it.
    There are workarounds with the PC version so its not a huge difference, just quicker/easier on a mac.

Yes you need maps to really use either mapsource or basecamp, though they might have a basic base map....not sure.

My last garmin map download went to both my PC (works in Mapsource & Base camp) and my GPS.
    I dont know why yours cant.
    You may have misunderstood, I believe the older downloads did not update or work on the PC but the latest CN2010.4 does.
  6. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    For comparison

This is an off road track converted to a route and loaded on the Nuvi 550
    It is not as smooth as the Zumo, you dont see the original track line and you get the annoying flags.
    I ran this in demo so my actual track line is not showing, but it does in real world use.

[​IMG]

I personally don't like the 3D view and much prefer the track up view.

[​IMG]

For most tracks this is OK.
    When things are really tight or twisty I make overlay maps to keep all of the original track details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
  8. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zumos can just about take any regular non proprietary SD card. I use 4 gb or 8 gb cards on my Zumo 550 for Topo maps and MP3s. City Nav is stored on the unit itself (US and Canada) so no need for cards.
  9. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks, just tried it.

Here's what I got.

Good graphic representation of the original track.
    Pretty close to my overlay maps with much less lost detail than my other convert with the via flags.
    So this is a very quick easy way to get that on the NUVI :clap

Down side (maybe)
    In demo it does not "route" on the file like the ones with the via flags.
    It simply tells you straight line how to get to the end point.
    Now this is no worse than what I do with the overlays.

[​IMG]

I need to give this a real world test, but my nearest trails are 2 hrs away and I am tied up this weekend :cry
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    At least your trails won't be buried in snow until April:D

This looks good. I'm used to following tracks with no guidance at all on my 60Cx, so as long as I can get a line with decent resolution I'm good.

I really hate the 3D view too.

I'll probably use my 60Cx when I do tracks, but nice to know the work-arounds for the Nuvi 500.
  11. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    been poking around a little bit again...

need a basic GPS for the DRZ, more road oriented than anything, waterproof a must. everything keeps changing, and i've been out of the loop. Quest used to be the hot ticket, but has since been quite outdated. lots of small ones that would be perfect, but they're not even water resistant.
    thanks
  12. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe all the Garmin GPSs are waterproof.
  13. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Not most of the Nuvis...
  14. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    the nuvi 500 and 550 are waterproof, they're both around $250-300.
  15. civhatch90

civhatch90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I am looking for a gps. Currently have a Nuvi 205 which is the lowest cheapest priced unit but does all I want with a single exception, I cant plan routes and upload them.

So, what is the cheapest GPS I can get that I can plan a turn by turn route online and upload it? ( I dont care for any other cool geeky features)

Thanks!
  16. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    You can get them a lot cheaper than $250 or $300 - it's fairly easy to find a refurb Nuvi 500 for around $150.
  17. DustyWheels

DustyWheels Nomadic motorcyle traveller

Oddometer:
    I'm considering replacing my explorist 500 to a Explorist XL, mainly for the bigger screen, so I can read it with out glasses.

Was considering a Zumo 550, but after reading a few posts here they don't seem to be all there cracked upto be.

Do Magellan make a compareable model to the 550 ?
    as I've always used Magellen products, I'd prefer to sick with it, as I have the software and have become familiar with it .

Interested in ppl suggestions / thoughts
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What do you use the GPS for?
  19. DustyWheels

DustyWheels Nomadic motorcyle traveller

Oddometer:
    used the 500 for trailriding, but I'm selling the trailbike to buy a adventure bike.
  20. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Found an 800 number for Garmin, picked my way thru the ever changing (they warned me) menu, selected and pressed "#1."

I was filled with hope. The line sounded like someone was frying bacon on the other end. Finally, a mechanical voice cut in and advised me, "All our reps are busy. Expect at least a 35 minute wait..." I guess this is code for Ahpooh in New Delphi is on his lunch break and may or may not be back today or tomorrow?

My eyes glazed over and I hung up.

The Garmin website recommends you should read each and every Owners' Manual for all models they may or may not still make in an attempt to find the answer to IF a particular unit is Chartable, Interfaces well with MapSource and is Mac compatible.

Perhaps I should just set my 2001 Jeep Wrangler on fire, sit in the corner and drool. Clearly this TAT thing is beyond my meager mental capacities and the limits of patience if I can't even sort out which Garmin GPS to buy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.