"Which GPS Do I Buy" Thread Fest - Ask your question/Find your answer HERE!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duck, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Stoff

T-Stoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If and when using suction mount option:

Since it's heavier and heftier than a typical car Nuvi, I get the feeling it's more liable to overcoming its suction mount and falling off, especially during bumps. Has never happened yet, though.

Note: supplied mount suction cup area for Nuvi 205W and Zumo 660 are the same.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Actually that's exactly why you want to try it on roads you know - so you'll know what kind of choices it makes if left to its own devices. Once you know, you can fine tune the thing so it makes the kind of choice you want it to, with settings etc.

That's the way you'll find out if you need to create your own route with waypoints along the way.

No point in relying blindly on it, especially in places you don't know.
  3. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Un Tigre del Norte

Oddometer:
    I'm a road rider, so finding tracks is not important. I don't want to spend $600+ for a Zumo. I don't need to play music, Bluetooth, etc. What's my best bet?
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need a Nuvi 500.
  5. CH47Rider

CH47Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about to do a trip which will be mostly on road but some FS roads and trails. I want to be able to download tracks. I also want my GPS to know when a new Starbucks opens and show me where the closest one is. I want topo maps. Oh, I don't want to pay much for it either. Will a used Garmins V do all this? Is there something that will which can be had used for <$150?
    Thanks,
    Keith:norton
  6. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Well, I want a GPS that programs itself and knows where I want to go and how I want to get there without me actually telling it. It should know the nearest location of this place or a similar place and also know which location has the cutest girls and best coffee drinks. A big plus is if the GPS device could actually get me a date with one of the cute girls. It should also be free, or maybe the manufacturer should pay me to test it for them. :rofl
  7. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would look real hard at the one off maps that the 500 uses.

Perhaps the Nuvi 550 is a better choice, particularly for a road rider who probably does not care about the topo side of the maps on the 500 anyway.
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You know, I've been researching the Nuvi 500 maps some, and there are other Nuvi models (at leats the 205 and 205w) that use the "CN Lower 49 States + PR NT ". You can even buy it:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=28765

So even though I said it, I'm not so sure the maps are one off. However it is curious that my maps are version 2010.10 with "no updates available" and the regular City Nav North America NT is up to v 2010.40.

I think the topo (CN Lower 49 States + PR DEM - DEM = Digital Elevation Model) on the 500 *is* unique though. I was playing with it yesterday. I turned off the City Nav and just left Topo on. As far as I can tell there is *no* POI or even road infomation, just elevation shading, contour lines, and maybe water (rivers, lakes, etc). I also don't know of any other Garmin map that will "overlay" with another map like this topo does.

That said, I agree that for a road rider the Nuvi 550 would be better. Just the fact it uses the standard CN NA NT maps will make it easier to update, and you still can add normal Topo maps later if you need them.
  9. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Un Tigre del Norte

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help.

Carlos
  10. Crush

Crush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been considering an Oregon 550 as I want a small yet readable screen and like the ability to take photos of a location and find it later.

I may be having to go to Australia :D for some work and am wondering about maps and whether or not this would be a good choice for a travel GPS?

I currently use a 276c, which is great, but it has issues with "lost satellite signal" and quits navigating when it feels like it. I am going to see if it is repairable thru garmin, but I was given fairly short notice about this trip, so time is an issue.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the 550?

Thanks, Dennis
  11. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own a garmin 60Cx and recently bought a Colorado and then an Oregon. The screen on both the Colorado and the Oregon is pretty hard to see mounted on a bike compared to the 60 series. The bright sunlight just kills the viewing angle on the newer models. My advice is to stick with the 60 series if you are going to view the gps in sunlight.

This may already have been beat to death but it is new to me.

steve
  12. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been discussed quite a bit. It appears to be the major drawback in upgrading. I've also heard that running the backlight helps the newer units more than the older one.

As long as my 60Cx keeps chugging, I won't be in the market for a new GPS. Amazing unit.

- Mark
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a backup at Costco $220 shipping included.
  14. RainierDOG

RainierDOG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    iPhone with Accuterra, MotionX-GPS, Mapquest. you're done. Cost: $10.00
  15. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    And where can I get an iPhone with data plan for $10? And how long is it going to last on the handlebars of a motorcycle? And what happens when you go out of range of AT&T's mostly-urban 3G coverage area?

I do agree that if keeping current with Starbucks openings is vital to you, better to go with a phone-based system. The POI databases of the GPS mfgs are shockingly poor at times.

- Mark
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I love the two 550s I have.

Not sure about the maps you need, though the Oregon is very flexible in terms of uploading many maps to it. As long as you rename the maps you upload to something other than gmapsupp.img, then loading new sets of maps won't overwrite your existing maps.
  17. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Good reply.

iPhone people are worse than bimmer riders. (I can say that because I ride one)

When you bundle too many things into one unit it becomes mediocre at most of the claimed features. And more importantly, a failure of this magical device can really play havoc on a long trip. No internet, no weather, no music, can't find a hotel, no calls home, and now you can't get home.

And do you really want your beloved device hanging out there in all the elements? Oh - you have it in a box, or tank bag? What good is that for usability?

Bottom line - use it as a backup.
  18. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Not possible. Its a proven fact that HD people are the only fanboys worse than bimmer riders (your words). Apple fanboys are however a close third.

hold on, I forgot about the KTM peeps. OK the list is now HD, KTMer's, bimmer's and then Apple fanboy's. Actually the KTM people may be worse than the HD guys...

Yeah, you would think this is true, but compared to most, if not all, GPS receivers out there, the iPhone compares well. It also does most of its core functions quite well. Its main downside is a shitty ATT network. There are applications that load the maps on the device (some of those referenced by the OP) which gets around this short coming.

Its on the same network as any ATT device, so it will have similar reception as any ATT phone. If you experienced ALL of these issues with an iPhone, its operator error.

It would not fair well on a handlebar mount. Keep it in the bag or your jacket pocket. Also, you missed its biggest shortcoming - you have to remove your glove to use it. But, if you don't need a device telling you turn here or there, its quite good for usability.

I think the original point was if you already had an iPhone, for another $10 of apps, you have a decent navigational solution. True, some bimmer riders (your words) may need a whole lot more hand holding in terms of a navigational crutch, but the iPhone is fairly useful for finding where you are and where you need to go. There may also be apps for Blackberries and other platforms.
  19. Wahoo

Wahoo Persevering

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking I need a new gps. I have a BMW Navagator-I, but can't see it while riding in the sunlight. I would like to know more about the new BMW Navagator IV as well as the Garmin 660. From what I've read they have semilar features. Sales people I've tried to talk gps with are not knowlegeable.

And there may be other makes that would be as good.

Anyone out there with first hand experience with the new gps's?
  20. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.