Which GPS for doing the TAT and beyond?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Skippii, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. Here's a situation maybe you guys can help me with. I am considering a trip on the BRt this summer. I have received all the individual tracks, ( it looks to be dozens) and there are multiple routes through some sections.

My question is how would you guys prepare your GPS to follow all these tracks? Since there is no prompting on tracks, it seems as if I'd be constantly trying to switch between tracks and figure out what one comes next.
  2. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    I just picked one up off the flea market. It'll be here Wednesday ^^ I'll let you know how it goes if you don't get an answer by then.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I leave all my tracks and routes displayed on the map... with speed color coded into them, and automagic zooming (for my current speed ) it makes picking up the next route or track pretty easy.

it works so well ive stopped using turn by turn navigation and now just have audio alerts when close to waypoints.

the speed color coding sure does make it all memorable too :-)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    In first statement you mean "options" not "routes" I assume. In GPS talk, "Routes" are somethning special. They must be navagated and only that one is shown.

If you have new gen unit, not a problem. Turn all of these tracks "ON" and then set color to your priorities. I use Dark Green for main path and Dark Magenta for easy options and Red for hard options. You can also set color on PC with Mapsource/BaseCamp before you download.
  5. ChrisP11

ChrisP11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great. I'm using BaseCamp, and have never used the colors before. Anything to make following the tracks less difficult so I can enjoy riding will be great.

Thanks
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some colors show up better on different units. So be sure you are happy with your primary option color on your unit. Also some colors conflict with features.

I like dark blue on my Montana, but it shows rivers in the same color and it is confusing at times.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: