Which GPS for me, today, 2016? Montana 680T won out.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by larryboy, Jul 13, 2016.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    it's 2016..... two inch screen, can't transfer files over wifi/Bluetooth/cellular, does not have inreach (why did Garmin buy inreach?), looks remarkably similar to old rhino case....

maybe it's another rehash? no, no way, not Garmin.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Tracks, Zumo doesn't technically handle tracks. It can in a sort of way, but I'd rather not get Countdown all bent out of shape over it...again.

I've had a Zumo in the past, they're great for street riding and I'd own another, but not this time.

610T is still right there for me, I've been spending my $$ on other things right now, maybe I can pull the trigger in September.
    Boondoggle and waylongway like this.
  3. begeberg

begeberg Let it burn....

Oddometer:
    OK, my two cents worth, might not be worth even that.... Went with the 64st, plopped in a 32 gig SD card. Set it up by downloading Navigator to the card, enabled it and disabled all the preloaded maps. With the map setup properly can easily see roads around you and push buttons with gloves on. Tons of memory to load track and waypoints thru Basecamp. Went to Amazon and bought a 16 pack of rechargeable batteries with charger so I have no wires to monkey around with and it's a simple 30 second battery switch when they die. They typically last a day from what I can tell. I will use this for hiking as well.

My only recommendation is to just buy Navigator on a 4 gig SD card from Garmin, it was a bitch to download, my new Dell wouldn't do it even after 90 minutes with Garmin's software folks. Finally got it done after 4 tries and three different computers. Finally an old laptop with Windows 7 and IE 10 worked, all the newer stuff wouldn't work.... You will still have 3 plus gig of memory on the unit itself to load tracks etc.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, preloaded card can be the way to go with Garmin.

I still haven't written the 64st off, same with the 35t. I like the 64st a bit better due to the double a batteries, we ride motorcycles, motorcycles need gas a couple times a day, gas stations carry batteries...it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I despise adding power ports to all the different bikes I go through, it'd be a lot easier to just move the gps and carry a pocketful of batteries.

Thanks for your input.
    HOMER69 and begeberg like this.
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Most Garmin handhelds, including the Montanas and the 35t can be powered by AA batteries. I have a 35t and it's a useful device but it's small, and the touchscreen can be finicky. It has essentially the same size screen as the 62/64/78.
  6. jack rose

jack rose n00b

Oddometer:
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Montana 680T.
    waylongway and Boondoggle like this.
  8. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:

:jive......:rilla.......:drif
    larryboy likes this.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:

well that changed drastically ?

congrats on the latest most expensive stuff lol
  10. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a 600T brand new on ebay $330.......:dunno Lots of deals to be had if you hunt........ :eyes
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I found it for $400. The cheapest I was getting $250 to $350, saw it and jumped on it.

You know how it is, you say it'd be nice to have a compass, the camera looks like fun, somebody you know just got one and it looks great.

I don't like fuel injection on motorcycles, yet I have two of the damn things.

Me:jack
    waylongway and ohgood like this.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

lol , yup !
    larryboy likes this.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I think you made the best choice. There isn't anything better if you don't need media players and Bluetooth. IMHO, of course.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
    larryboy and waylongway like this.
  14. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that, my buddy just got a Montana and I really like it, but can't swallow that price. I'm personally looking for a 62 or 64S/ST
    macedonianGR likes this.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The 64 has some interesting features but it's a poor second to the Montana. If you don't just save up a little longer and get the Montana, you'll be wishing you had eventually.
  16. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not planning on using it to follow a line, more just to verify current location based on a loaded track. Seems like for that the 64 would be plenty. I'm not in a huge rush so I'm still shopping deals, and keeping the Montana in mind.
  17. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    It just kind of worked out. It wasn't my intention to spend this much, but the planets aligned. I've got it in my hands and it's pretty cool, the take a picture as a waypoint is pretty neat.
  18. Bike-N-Hike

Bike-N-Hike 60 y/o, Gear Junkie

Oddometer:
    I have a different experience with using gloves with the Oregon 650T...my gloves did not work with the touchscreen. I'm sure you just have to make sure you have the correct gloves. It became a real nuisance when you power down your bike to get gas and restart, the device gies to sleep and when power is restored it won't default back to your map forcing you to stop on the side of the road (proper touchscreen gloves should resolve this I suppose.) Outside Temps were quite low 30's to 40dF.

While I like the Oregon 650T access to the charging port is a bit of a pain because you have to remove the belt clip attachment. Even then I experienced problems with too much road vibration forcing me to use electrical tape to hold the usb connection in place.

I have the 24k topo road navigation micro sd card and have been caught in down pour having to swap micro sd cards from the Northeast which ends at the Pennsylvania, Maryland line. Bit of a pain. I was wishing I had a normal road sd card at that point.

If your doing more road traveling I'm not a big fan of the Oregon 650T.
  19. Markb3d

Markb3d Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, interesting to know about your gloves. My MechaniX leathers seem to be fine, maybe its the worn out leather. I'm getting some new gloves when I head to the bike shop this weekend. I should take my 600 to make sure they work. The tech fabrics or fingertip material may be an issue. Thanks for the heads up.

I hate the charging port location also, especially with the Ram Mount holder. I had to use a quick release mount and file down the cradle to get it to work.

When I key-off my bike the 600 asks if I want to use battery when it loses cable power. But, I thought of wiring it to the always on power. But, my luck is I will forget to turn it off and end up with a dead battery.

I guess everything has it's plus and minuses...I just needed something portable for hikes and mountain biking. So, kinda had to stick with the handhelds.
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the Oregon that BikeHike mentions, but I've used 8 different kinds of gloves with the Montana 650 and they work fine. The biggest problem is that my most comfortable cold-weather gloves have an off-center lump where the finger side seam has worked around to my finger pad, so I have to press with the lump. The other 7 pair of gloves work just fine.

I was reminded on a trail ride last week: I really like my Montana.