Which GPS for me, today, 2016? Montana 680T won out.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by larryboy, Jul 13, 2016.

1. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Montana's touch screen should work with any glove because it uses a resistive type touch screen. This type of screen works by sensing how much pressure is applied to the screen.

The Oregon 600/700, Monterra, eTrek Touch 25/35 and virtually all smartphones, use a capacitive type touch screen (they all tend to be glass screens). This type of screen does not work on pressure. It works by sensing a change in the electrical field. For this to happen, you need an object that is electrically conductive. Your skin is conductive, so your finger works. Most gloves are insulators, so they do not work. However, more and more motorcycle gloves are being made with conductive properties built into the fabric (such as TouchTec). Also, some really thin gloves, like my old Fox motocross gloves, sort of work on capacitive screens. Maybe it's the material, or that it's thin, or that they're old, but for some reason they are somewhat conductive.

So when shopping for a new glove, ask the salesperson which ones are smartphone compatible, then test it for yourself. If more and more people choose these gloves, they'll eventually make more of them.
    Emmbeedee likes this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

spit on it
    (the glove)
  3. Bike-N-Hike

Bike-N-Hike 60 y/o, Gear Junkie

Oddometer:
    Wish I would have thought of that. Definitely will try it. My gloves were thick winter riding gloves that did not work with the Oregon 650T.
  4. Markb3d

Markb3d Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried on some revit Cheyenne gloves..real nice. .they were a little too big for me so didn't buy them, they also didn't work with touch screen. :(

But, they did show me some gel they sell in a little jar. You paint the finger tip of the glove with the gel and it make the tip work with the touchscreen. I think my old Mechanix and fox mountain bike gloves only work because the thin worn out leather.
  5. bikerjim2000

bikerjim2000 Father Time is UNDEFEATED

Oddometer:
    I won some GS gloves at slap and the index finger has a rubber coating that's designed for touchscreens.
  6. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you will find that they don't work - mine don't.
  7. bikerjim2000

bikerjim2000 Father Time is UNDEFEATED

Oddometer:
    They worked on my samsung phone,its still a pain on the smaller screens I usually pull em off anyway...But I am going to get the Garmin78 so it has real buttons, I am not a touch screen lover.
  8. baerrus

baerrus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After much research I concluded that Zumo 395LM is a better deal than Montana 610 because it includes city navigation maps while the units are roughly priced the same today around $400. Whereas with Montana you have to buy nav map for an extra $100. Also Zumo comes with a motorcycle cradle outthebox but Montana does not.
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The actual price is something you forget fairly quickly, assuming your needs are met with the device you're buying. An extra $140 for maps and a lockable cradle still seems worth it to have such a configurable gps as the Montana. But of course it's your choice.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:

open street maps are free and updated more often, if maps are a deciding factor
  11. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read that OSM works great some places, but it's still seriously lacking in the rural half (at least) of Maine. This can't be the only place.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    let's hope you're right.... that means fewer cars on our fun back roads!
  13. baerrus

baerrus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Garmin just announced Zumo 396LMT-S
  14. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not just in Maine.
    I have found many rural areas in the south east US have errors on OSM maps.
    Many of these are ones that I remember dealing with on map data 10 years ago that has since been fixed on other formats.

But hey, its free.
    Worth every penny they cost.