Which GPS for north aus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by JRW, Dec 8, 2011.

1. JRW

JRW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all, just wondering if there are any cheap as chips gps' out there that have excellent maps and features. Ok, I realise thats an impossibility...

what I am after: A rugged motorcycle gps that works equally well on road as well as allowing track upload and download to enable following trails etc offroad.
    All of australia is a bonus, but North QLD and FNQ are a must.
  2. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. JRW

JRW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh wow... completely missed that!
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Be careful what you buy. A fair few folks have wandered into the GPS world and bought whatever looked good in the shop, only to discover that as soon as they turn off the tar the display is blank. Or they fill with water. Or they disintegrate. Or they run flat by luchtime.

It will need to support TRACKS for dirt stuff. Make no mistake here.

The availability of MAPS for the GPS is important too. It can be a bit technical.

IPX7 waterproof, essential.

"Hardened" for rougher use too (GPSMAP60 Garmins come to mind).

Availability of proper mounts for motorcycle application (a lot of car-style mounts are simply not strong or secure enough). Touratech make an excellent mount for some models, not cheap, but the ducks guts, with locking mount and vibration isolation built in, they are little sculptures. Nice kit.

Will it power off the bike? Or does it need to be plugged in every 3 - 4 hours and recharged for a further 3 - 4 hours? Does it have the capability to run of AA or simila batteries?

If your keen, there's a current deal going all over the place for Xmas on the new Garmin Rino, a full-featured handheld GPS with 5w 80-channel UHF integrated, 2 for $599, you just need a partner and it's $300 for a combined unit, and shonkymaps are free. It's a cracking deal actually. Just need to find a mount (dunno on that score, you'll have to do your own homework) and check the power supply from the bike will be OK, as they have a different plug to the excellent 60-series.

Whatever you buy, the initial purchase is prolly half the ultimate cost, add RAM mounts, power cable, maps, cradle, and it mounts up, I've done it and don't regret it though. One little gadget and I can navigate on-the-fly anywhere in Australia.
  5. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    A hiking style GPS that will load maps.
    All the hiking units are waterproof but the cheaper ones will not load maps.
    Garmin have a range of models and good reliability