1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Which GPS imports routes from Googlemaps the easiest?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by devo2002, Mar 30, 2011.

1. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked all over already so please don't lambast me.

I am looking to see which GPS most easily imports user created google maps. I currently have a Nuvi 550 but it only imports the destination, not the route and created waypoints. This would be mostly for road use.

Thanks!
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    You can convert google maps routes to .gpx easily and then drag the newly created .gpx file into mapsource and then load/send it to your unit via mapsource. Check THIS LINK - CLICKY HERE.
  3. A17_NB

A17_NB one little victory

Oddometer:
    This Post :thumb

4. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried for hours lastnight using this method and countless hours doing other methods, none of them work.

By not work I mean I can turn it into a gpx file and open it using basecamp (I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 and a Mac). Basecamp recognizes the waypoints and the route but when uploading it to the Nuvi it only comes as individual waypoints, I simply can't get routes.

After searching many many times on the Nuvi 550 capibilities I saw I can't upload routes but only have the ability to make custom routes on the GPS itself.

Hence my question, what GPS does allow me to do this because I've come to the conclusion mine doesn't. If anyone using a Nuvi 500 series can prove me wrong I will bow before you!:deal
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    This is absolutely NOT the case. I load routes to my Nuvi 500 all of the time - I'm using a PC with Mapsource though.

Tell us exactly how you are trying to load the routes to the unit.
  6. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I agree, I have the 500 and I can load routes easily.

Your question was specific to Google Maps that's why I addressed it. However like tbirdsp said more information on how you are trying to upload the route to the GPS would be helpful.

I can be done. So my guess is you are possibly missing a step in the process somewhere.
  7. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you are right, here I go.....

1 - I visited the awesome "Route and Track Conversion Tools And Other Goodies" thread created by DRZ http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619167

2 - Went to "Googe Maps to GPX" http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

(Let me rephrase, I did not use the link above, it was broken lastnight so I went here instead, is this my mistake?)

3 - Following those instructions to convert googlemap route I setup and received the gpx code for routes.

4 - The link says to copy the text to textedit and save as .gpx or .txt. Again, I have a mac so I had to manually type .txt to the end of the file, textedit doesn't have the gpx option.

5 - Basecamp does not recognize .txt files so I found a website that actually saved GPX files. (I'm at work so can't remember the link)

6 - Loaded file into basecamp successfully, showed 9 points and 4 routes (why not one route I'm not sure)

7 - I clicked the upload to GPS button in basecamp and get the message "0 routes, 9 waypoints uploaded"

8 - On the 550 I went to (can't remember exact titles) Tools-->Data Manager-->import custom routes-->selected gpx file to upload

9 - Garmin says "imported correctly"

10 - Go to custom routes and it's not there, only the way points are saved in favorites.

Thanks in advance to all!!!:freaky:deal:clap
  8. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Try this link CLICKY HERE . This procedure converts the .txt file to a .gpx file which your unit recognizes and so should Basecamp. Sorry about the broken link, it's fixed now.

Can I ask why you are using Base Camp? Is it for topo use? If so, topos (depending on what you have) are NOT generally routable.

Edit* I just did the procedure as detailed in the above link so that I could download a test route into my 500 (same as the 550) and it worked fine.
  9. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll try that tonight, but I can import a GPX file into basecamp and upload to the GPS but it only imports the individual waypoints, not the routes.
  10. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Are you using a topo map or City Navigator?
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    One thing I would try - instead of using Basecamp to load to the unit just transfer your .gpx file directly to the Garmin>GPX folder (either on the unit drive itself or on your memory card if you have one installed). Then do the "import route from file" step.

I know nothing of Basecamp, but can't you just create your routes using it rather than Google Maps?
  12. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:

Combined that solved my problem. I am using basecamp 2.0 and it absolutely sucks!! But I did create a test route from basecamp and it loaded successfully.:clap

So the answer is using my software and pay $80 for map?? I know beggar's can't be choosy but is that my only option??

Thanks!
  13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    If it's been less than 60 days since you first turned the unit on you are due a free map update. This will update both the unit and the maps on your computer.

I guess Basecamp can also read the maps from your unit, but I don't know...

There's a newer version of Basecamp out, isn't there? It should be a free download.
  14. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Truthfully you would be better off with Map Source. Once you learn the program everything becomes easy to use and manage.
  15. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Map Source isn't available for Mac, as far as I know. I've tried Basecamp, Roadtrip, MapInstall, and MapManager. They work but the maps are really crude and most roads are missing.
    http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/:kboom

Ahh tonight I shall :slurp to forget
  16. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Oh, I must have missed that you had a Mac. I know others are successfully using it though. Maybe someone will chime in with some advice. Or, you could always get cheap Notebook and dedicate it for mapping. Just a thought.

This is what Garmin lists for Mac operating systems.
  17. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And they all suck :lol3

Thanks for your help, like I said I got it work using the software, now I just need to find a good map. I'm at work using a Dell so instead of working I'll download mapsource:evil
  18. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I downloaded mapsource while at work. Turns out it was already downloaded so I must have tried this months ago and forgotten.

I hooked up my Garmin and sent all data to mapsource and it read the routes and points but............it's overlaid on just white space, there is no map...

This is soo draining but is this normal? Is now when i buy a map?????:baldy
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :huh
    Did you read my reply, Post #13?

Now - if it's been more than 60 days since you first turned the unit on, I think you are SOL.
  20. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I read it....I think im SOL as well.:cry

It just boggles my mind why I can't view the map that's on my GPS on my computer. So when I buy a map from Garmin does it update just the map on the device or does it also add a map to basecamp, mapsource, etc.?