1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Which GPS imports routes from Googlemaps the easiest?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by devo2002, Mar 30, 2011.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Well, it's been a long time since I actually bought a map from Garmin - just used the free update that comes with a unit that already has maps installed. In those cases I have been able to update both the unit and my computer with the maps. I assume it's the same for maps that you buy.

Most of Garmin's customers don't care about having maps on their computer - they just want the latest maps in their unit so they can find the nearest Starbucks, etc while driving their cages.
  2. BEEMERPECKER

BEEMERPECKER Just Lookin'

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, BaseCamp reads the map you have loaded on your GPS only while you have your GPS attached to you computer (you only get one user license per map). Go to maps in the menu bar and and choose unlock maps online --- you need to unlock the map to the computer you are using.

If you registered your GPS then you should have a myGarmin page. Login, click on my maps tab, and hit the details button this should show you your code. It took a little while for the "unit" map to load into BaseCamp when I did it.

When the map on your unit is unlocked and loaded, it will overlay on the BaseCamp base map along with any waypoints, POI's and routes you have on your unit.

When you create a route in BaseCamp it saved with that green "greater than" looking icon next to it (a hiking route has little footprints for an icon). Hi-lite the route you want to send to your unit, the hit the "send to GPS" button.

The myGarmin page will also tell you if you're eligible for the 60 day map update.

Hope this works for you.

Garmin and Mac are compatible....But....if you get frustrated and are more comfortable with Windows:

Go to CompUSA and get a OEM copy of Windows 7 for around $100.00, totally legal...just no Microsoft support available, and load it on your Mac using Boot Camp; you can then run all MS proprietary software on you Mac.

3. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Beemer, I think that's it. I contacted Garmin and they say when I plug in the GPS and open basecamp/roadtrip, the map should automatically download from the device. This is the root of my problems and explains why I'm trying to use Googlemaps instead.

Naturally they respond back to my emails every two days so hopefully in a month I will get this straightened out.

In the meantime, maybe change this thread to "Utilizing Roadtrip/Basecamp on a Mac"??
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify - from what I understand it doesn't "download" - you can only read the maps while the GPS is connected to the computer.
  5. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right, thanks for the clarification. I can't read the map on the GPS on my computer. To clarify, here is a screenshot of basecamp when I have the Nuvi plugged in (it's not plugged in now but there is no difference), clearly NYC has more streets than that :lol3

[​IMG]
  6. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Try zooming in under one mile to get more detail (If you haven't already).
  7. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to the 80ft level, it goes from 30th street to 34th:lol3
  8. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Wish I could help but I know very little about Basecamp. Someone will chime in I'm sure.
  9. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    OK, for starters your screenshot is from RoadTrip. RoadTrip, AFAIK, will not read the maps off your device.... It's also a total POS. You need to use BaseCamp. Once you plug in your GPS you should see this in the top left corner of the window.

[​IMG]

Once the map has loaded, you'll have access to it for planning purposes. The map does not remain on your computer, it can only be accessed from the connected GPS. As you can see, all of the detail is now usable for routing.

[​IMG]
  10. BEEMERPECKER

BEEMERPECKER Just Lookin'

Oddometer:
    No software hassles here!!!

[​IMG]
  11. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is where it went haywire. It looks like your gpx file somehow got converted from a single route with lots of points in it, to just a list of completely unrelated points. GPX can store either or, it's up to the software which created the .gpx file to decide which. It may have been the fault of the website you found but can't remember.

Can't help you with your other problems though, as I use an iPhone with MotionX GPS, and it works totally different.
  12. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the topic of Base Camp on a Mac...

A couple of years ago when i moved over to a Mac, my maps that were unlocked and accessible in Mapsource were 'converted' to the Mac and are now available in both Road Trip and in Base Camp. Even with no GPS plugged in, i can see detailed maps. I don't recall what program was used to convert, but it was through Garmin.

In Base Camp, under the Maps menu, the maps are in this folder:
    /Users/Dave/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

and the 1.9GB map file is named:
    City Navigator North America 2008.gmap

In that same folder is the unlock code, file named:
    UnlockCodes.ucx

I realize this is probably not much new info, but it seemed for some of you that the maps were only accessible when the GPS unit was plugged in.

(this whole mapping thing seems way more complicated than it needs to be.)
  13. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Dave

The app is called MapConverter, available on the Garmin software page. As to the GPS connection, that's for users who don't have the maps installed on a computer. Most if not all of the newer units that come with pre-installed maps don't have an installation disk included in the package. This is where BaseCamp's ability to use the installed maps is necessary.
  14. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mapconverter is strictly for PC.

As an update on my progress, I deleted basecamp and reinstalled the latest version and bingo, it takes about 10 minutes to load but the map on the device successfully loads to basecamp.

The only problem now is that basecamp is incredibly slow, it takes 10X longer to load and zoom to a location then on the GPS, why the hell is that? I increased the memory to max but it didn't do a thing. I can't scroll to a location off the screen while making a route, it's glitchy as hell.

I give up, I'm going to load points to it and that is that! I will connect them myself; once I reach one destination I'll just point it to the next.

Thanks for the help guys.:deal
  15. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's odd. I had similar experience with Road Trip, but Base Camp has always been quite snappy. I can drag a map around and there is basically no lag between my mouse motion and the map. On Road Trip however, drag... then wait for display to update (1-2 seconds)!

I understand Base Camp is more full featured than Road Trip anyway.

BTW... Base Camp is v3.1.4 and Road Trip is v2.0.2 (2008).