Which GPS is most accurate?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Dan R, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Dan R

Dan R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a GPS, not for navigation, but for running (property) lines in thick cover. Is there one GPS that is better than others for accuracy? What is a good Geocaching GPS, as I imagine it would work well for my purpose?

Price isn't too important at this point, willing to pay for a unit that will last.

Thanks.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Essentially all modern consumer units are equally accurate. Best you can really expect is about 10 metres.

Price isn't too important you say? Check out Trimble: http://www.trimble.com/index.aspx

Trimble makes survey-grade GPSs which cost many thousands of dollars and probably aren't very good for geocaching at all.

Basically, any GPS you buy isn't going to work for laying out property lines, other than to get a general idea where they might be.

Jamie
  3. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Jamie posted, same place and time and using the same satellites will result in nearly the same results, it's just the physics and geometry involved.

Accuracy will vary based on the satellites used at a given moment, better geometry to the sats equals better fixes so a GPS that constantly sees more sats and uses them should result in better data. A powered external antenna can help especially in dense tree cover.

And because the constellation of sats is dynamic, ever changing, the accuracy will vary over time. Could be poor one moment and an hour later great. Because of this some units (I know the 60/76) have a waypoint averaging option where the unit takes many readings over time (however long you want) and averages the results.

If you are interested lot of info here:
    http://gpsinformation.net/

Bruce
  4. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I was going to post. :lol3

You'll need a commercial-grade surveying GPS to get the kind of precision you want.