which gps?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Wolf_ADV, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Wolf_ADV

Wolf_ADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2012 gsa........i just want simple inexpensive....something easy to mount easy to power and waterproof.....I would like capability to search for a restaurant, hotel, gas etc.....thanks ahead. I have done a few searchs to no avail...honestly dont know that much about them..
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Waterproof is tough. How cheap and will you consider used?
  3. cds247

cds247 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Garmin Montana refurb from an ADVRider vendor (Jordan at GPS City) for a good price that meets those requirements.
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    A price range would give us a much better idea on what you would like to spend? The 60/76cs/x series is getting pretty cheap these days. They are more aimed at hikers with their smaller size, but with the City Nav loaded on them, they can certainly lead you to a hotel, gas, restaurant with no problem.

The Montana series is my current favorite GPS to recommend to bike riders. The 600 is the low end, but it does everything you need it to.

Most of the car series GPS like the Nuvi is not waterproof, but a simple zip block bag works in a pinch. It's not optimal, but it works.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I had a mount on my Hexhead for a car GPS. It was waterproof, but made seeing the GPS harder.
  6. Hog1450

Hog1450 I use the oil you hate Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good review of some GPS's here
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  7. Wolf_ADV

Oddometer:
    No problem with used or refurbished....there are just so many..
  8. rrookey

rrookey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can always get a non-waterproof GPS cheaper and use the RAM mount waterproof case, I used a Garmin Nuvi 2555 in the case for 4-5 yrs, a few years are I scored a great deal on a BMW Nav IV so thats what I use now, but the RAM case worked good!
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  9. Fboldcrow

Fboldcrow Take time to smell the roses. ATGATT!

Oddometer:
    I have a 60CSx that looks miniscule on the R1200GS and works ok just not in traffic but it works and let's you find what you need, just remember you'll need to sign up for the lifetime maps after you buy it so check out the pricing.
    I scored my wifes older Bluetooth enabled Garmin I'll put in the tank bag map case also this year as a back up but I mainly have the Note 4 with Google maps Bluetoothed to the helmet and in the map case or bag and use the 60CSx for visual cues.
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  10. PCLS2FLY

PCLS2FLY Hooker Pilot

Oddometer:
    I use the garmin 650t. It's a bit spendy but I use it all the time. Car, geocaching, hiking, and with the TT mount on my second bike. Fits well on my 15 GSAW and very versatile. I like if the lithium battery goes out I can throw in some double "A's." It doesn't have the best road graphics compared to the current models but it still works very well, readable and understandable. I only wish I could manipulate it with the wiz wheel. Can't justify buying another just for wiz wheel functionality.
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    an old $50 smartphone does that. or you could skip it all and ask at a gas station, since you're already in a town.
    DaMonk45 likes this.
  12. Wolf_ADV

Oddometer:
    i guess
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I changed "it" to "or " ... we gotta blame smartphones fur something around here, autocomplete looks like a good whipping boy
  14. Wolf_ADV

Oddometer:
    Anything out there for android phones?
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    on road:
    HERE maps
    Sygic
    Navigon
    Copilot

off road:
    backcountrynavigator
    oruxmaps
    locus
    osmand
    maverick

when you search for one of those on the market, you should see more listed as 'similar' or 'related' applications. if you find one you like, look again on the market for the 'donate' or 'pro' version of them. if you REALLY like it, toss a few bones to the developer and buy it. :)

everyone has different preferences, one of those, or a combination of two, should cover most preferences nicely. if not, holler. :)
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  16. cds247

cds247 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to use an old iPhone with free OsmAnd Maps, and it worked okay. I wasn't thrilled with the battery life, screen size, need for a charging cable, lack of weather protection, etc. So it is definitely doable, but if you have the inclination and are willing to spend a little, there are better options (IMO). I used a ram x-mount and it held the otterboxed iPhone pretty well on most terrain up to and including rough forest roads.
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    one of the better options would be to not use any iphone. They are lagging behind the droid market.

Flame suit on
    :hide
    Renegade_Azzy likes this.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i should have said "waterproof android" instead of just smartphone. my very limited understanding of iphone stuff is older isn't always great.