which gps?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by dckiteboards, Dec 4, 2016.

1. dckiteboards

dckiteboards Braaper

Oddometer:
    needing a gps unit for backcountry travel

ski touring/adventure moto

im very interested in the Delorme In reach explorer in order to keep in touch with "base camp" during the expedition however for navigation features its lacking..

does say the Garmin Oregon 600 offer any sort of backcountry communication in any form?
    it states this in the description

"Share Wirelessly With Oregon 600 you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches up to 50 times faster with other wireless compatible Garmin handheld devices. Plus, you can share large files too like photos, Garmin Adventures and Custom Maps. Just touch “send” to transfer your information."

im guessing i just need to have both?

Thanks
    Chris
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The Delorme InReach has very basic navigation capability. The real reason to get one of these is to have the ability to send and receive text messages, or request emergency rescue, via satellite. The InReach does not use cell towers or cell signals--it works anywhere on the planet if there is a clear view of the sky. Note that you must buy a service contract from DeLorme. If you don't, it won't send or receive anything.

For backcountry navigation, outside of a cell phone service area, you either need a GPS receiver like the Oregon 600 (or any of 100 other GPS receivers many of which are discussed somewhere here in GPS 101), or you need a smartphone--either Android or iOS. Note that I said you can use a smartphone for navigating where there is no cell service. Smartphones do not need a SIM card, or a cell phone contract, to work like a GPS. They just need a battery. However, neither the Oregon 600, nor any other GPS receiver, will communicate with your base camp when you are out in the field. For that, you need a SatPhone, or the InReach, or some kind of long-range walkie-talkie (I think about the max range of walkie-talkies is around 40 miles).
  3. dckiteboards

dckiteboards Braaper

Oddometer:
    ok perfect thanks for that.. il have to get both