Which GPS?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by gregp, Apr 2, 2017.

1. gregp

gregp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2012 GSA that has an old cheap gps. What is a good GPS for my bike? I'll be riding Alaska, Canada, western USA.
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CapeMan likes this.
  3. someguy7234

someguy7234 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with the smartphone suggestion. I bought a dedicated GPS, and have been very dissatisfied with things like map updates, interface, and support.

With smartphones getting waterproof, and some good apps coming out to support offline maps (Here) and tracks (Backcountry navigator), as well as good voice command integration, I would be willing to guess the marginal advantages of a dedicated GPS (rugged, glareproof screen, resistive touch) aren't worth the pain in the ass and cost you get with it.

Figure you spend $350 on a unit, then need to spend $25 on a dedicated mount, and $90 on maps, and other sundry things and things add up to $500 or more pretty quickly.
  4. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does the phone stand up to off road abuse?
  5. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on the phone, some of the newer waterproof, rugged phones can't be broken, many of the older phones are rather fragile.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    buy waterproof, buy rugged. it will be fine. mine have survived more oopsies than my feet care to remember. look on YouTube for "rugged smartphone torture test". it's entertaining.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  7. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking like the phone is a no brainer now.
  8. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was curious how the display and circuitry holds up to handlebar jolts. Must be robust now.
  9. someguy7234

someguy7234 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, If you're on le tigre, ruggedness of the phone is not that big of a concern. I ride with a phone up under the windshield on a ram mount, and even in pouring rain, it stays pretty dry. Glare can be an issue (I'm probably changing to a smoked screen whenever I break the stock one), and it's hard to run the bike hard enough to give the phone a lot of problems, (Were you at loosenut last year? that XCx looks familiar). The worst damage I've done to my phone was butterfingering out of the mount and cracking the screen on the asphalt.

I did destroy a mechanical focus motor on a nexus 5 a few years ago, and the USB plugs are the biggest weak point when using a phone on the bike, but generally I've been pretty satisfied with the phone. One thing you can do is buy a phone with Qi2 charging (the original Qi didn't keep up with the power usage using GPS and bluetooth), and hack a charger into the ram mount.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    over the last few years i wondered if they would just die on a trip from vibration. then i watched a few youtube videos like

from a few years ago, and more recent

ya, after the nailing demo, i bet they'll be ok with a little wind and sprits of puddles on a slow moving motorsickle.
  11. stumps

stumps Ageing Adolescent

Oddometer:
    Just about any of the modern smartphones can do the job. I still use an old S3 in a ebay waterproof housing, attach using 3M tough velcro mounted to a small plate on both my Strom and DR. Its been to buggery and back across Aus and never misses a beat. Primarily run Locus and if required OSMand for street/metro stuff.