Which GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by panhead_pete, Aug 5, 2014.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Need to buy a GPS this week for the Tiger in prep for the Bridge to Bridge and future trips. Looking for something with a nice large easy to read screen, simple to use etc.

Also what mounts I'd need to run it directly above the current instrument panel. Being able to use it in the car would be even better.
  2. yety61

yety61 Global Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Garmin Zumo 660.
    (Developed for motorcyclists, comes with Ram mount for handlebars as well as windscreen mount for in vehicle)

Mounts depend on what bike you ride.
    (If you want to mount it above the instrument cluster)

Google is your friend for mounts.
  3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks Yety bike is a Tiger
  4. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zumo 660 is discontinued. Now is the Zumo 390LM or 590LM, not cheap either way.

Also Garmin montana 650T (T stands for topo maps included) or the new Garmin Monterra.

All these units have specific ram mounts.
  5. Russ

Russ Let's ride.

Oddometer:
    I have a ZUMO 550 with ram mount it's used and has the usual wear and tear if you are interested in making an offer.

PM me if interested.
  6. Jawk

Jawk Im lost again.

Oddometer:
    My magellan died last weekend (12v in a 5v socket will do that...) so about to lay my $$ down for a Garmin montana 650t...

it is the ducks guts but you pay for it.

was looking at borrowing a mates zumo 550 - but it doesnt have enough waypoint capabilities for the number of waypoints thered be for the TK trip

another good one is/was the 62s but by the time you buy the power cable, postage, ram mount, topo maps it came to less than $80 less than the 650t.

Another reason im going the 650t is it includes street maps - so when im freaking out trying to find my way out of sydney & brissy I at least have some street map capability (up to date as at NOv 2012 - more up to date than that you need the current city navigator software) !!

Looking at Johnny Appleseed-GPS as I rang Garmin and they reckons the 650t is preloaded with V3 topo, wheras JA will throw in a V4 topo on SD card for nil extra $

My 2c worth:norton

PS. advmoto sells the 650t with preloaded topo au/nz
  7. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Garmin Montana 650 with the Amps rugged mount and Ram ball with extension.

Can even use it with gloves
  8. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yep, I just sprung for the Montana 650t and AMPS mount. Seems to be the way to go.
  9. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I got hold of the Zumo 590LM on the one day Dick Smith was selling it for $640.

The 590 comes with a 5" screen (like the Montana), 3 profiles (car, bike and off-road) AND Car and Bike mounts included. I loved the big screen after moving from a Garmin Oregon (2.3" screen)

The profiles can be modified (i.e turn auto-recalc of routes OFF in Bike, leave them on in Car).

I have loaded up the latest CN, Garmin Aus Topo and Shonky Maps.

The 590 handles tracks and routes, although it won't give any details about a track (like distance to end of track).

The 590 handles like a car GPS when it's in the Car mount (i.e. spoken instructions).

It also has Bluetooth built in and can be paired to a headset when on the bike. If it's important, you can pair it with your phone for Music, phone calls etc. It will also play music loaded on its SD card.

On a recent 8 day, 3,500 km Outback trip it handled it well, although it did shut off on two different days. I am going to re-do the mount with some rubber inserts to try and reduce vibration as it was bloody rough when it shut off.

I was a bit hesitant to but it as I bought a Zumo 550 years ago and it didn't do tracks well etc. The 590LM is a different beast.

So, lots of different options to try.
  10. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I have had the same for about 10 months , great bit of kit once you learn how to drive it . Leaves my previous Magellan XL for dead for features and usability .

I rode today with 2 mates who were using Zumo's and one of them had a major Navigational fail , not the unit , the driver , the extra features the Montana has over the Zumo makes it a no brainer for me .
  11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone - looks like the Montana will be the choice with an AMPS mount. Appreciate it. Apologies for another question but anyone know the mount I need to get it above the instrument panel on the Tiger, is there a specific one?
  12. ozmot

ozmot n00b

Oddometer:
    Watching this with great interest as i am looking as well, also for a Tiger :)
  13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Bought the Montana and AMP craddle from Johhny Appleseed and the SW Motech mount that will place it above the instruments. Will have it fitted up Monday all going to plan. Thanks for everyone's assistance.
  14. 5 Hour Butt

5 Hour Butt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The one I have and which is truly awesome is the new Garmin zumo 660LM which they make specifically for motorcycles. It is water, weather and sun proof and comes with lifetime map updates. I just bought one last week and it works amazingly well.

One other really nice thing is when I turn it on it is ready to navigate in less than 15 seconds which makes me really happy!

Also it has a variety of excellent setup choices which makes it really nice to use. I chose to have the display with North up which I do prefer. It also shows the speed zone sign at the bottom right side of the screen. It also shows what speed you're traveling next to the speed zone sign. It also shows what direction you're going at the bottom left side of the screen.
  15. reg26

reg26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Zumo 550 is just about done and i recently got into dual sport riding with the purchase of a leftover 2013 KLR 650 and I'm hooked. I do allot of long distance touring on a 2009 Harley FLHX and an 06 FJR. I'm torn between the Montana 600 and the Garmin 590. I want something that will work great off road and be durable. My concern is I hear the Montana has kind of a difficult learning curve. The 590 seems to be more like my 550 was except I hear it has the ability to download Topo maps. I have been using my iPhone with the Motionx gps ap and if I preload the maps before i ride it has worked well but would like to have an all in one unit. The Montana has great reviews after the initial bugs were worked out after the first two years and the 590 has some good reviews also but I haven really read any reviews by someone who is experienced in off road riding and has used it.
    Any advice would be appreciated
  16. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    watch this thread its discussing your query