Which JIS Phillips for CB77?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by akpasta, Aug 31, 2020.

1. akpasta

akpasta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every vintage Honda mechanic eventually finds out that there's a special Japanese style Phillips drive for the screws on our bikes.

Two questions.

1. Which JIS phillips is a good standard for our bikes?

2. Which JIS phillips is good for heads that we've already nearly destroyed using a US type phillips driver :-D hahaha
  2. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    ausfahrt, Eatmore Mudd and 9Realms like this.
  3. akpasta

akpasta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend JIS impact driver bits I can use with my existing driver?

My one driver bit keeps getting chipped away with every whack because it’s not the right size.
  4. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 1966 CB77 was the reason I bought my first impact driver.
  5. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
  6. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd, 9Realms and spo123 like this.
  7. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone and 9Realms like this.
  8. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JIS bits in #2 and #3 size are generally used. You can get 1/4" hex drive for screwdrivers or 5/16" hex drive for manual impact drivers. My advice is throw out the manual hammer driven impact driver, and go to battery power. I can remove case screws off old 70s Japanese motorcycles in a couple seconds each using battery power and a #3 Vessel bit.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    On used Jap bikes, I have run into boogered up JIS head screws and had to Dremel a deep slot into them to turn them out with a big straight-blade driver.
    Often you see then that many of the other JIS head screw/small bolts have been previously "offended" by someone using a Phillips driver on them and I end up just ordering fresh bolts and just replace them.

Oddly, many Jap bikes actually come with a decent JIS head driver under the seat that no one ever uses. :oscar
    Xchemie and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. concours

concours WFO for 48 years

Oddometer:
  11. cycleaddict

cycleaddict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the old japanese screws are really soft metal , get a small ball peen hammer and tap the soft screw metal flat , then take you best fitting # 2 or # 3 bit and tap in into the now flattened (deformed ) screw head . the bit will now fit almost like a "custom" fit . get your small hand impact and in most cases the screw will loosen . (beating on the screws really helps them break free)
    robtg and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. concours

concours WFO for 48 years

Oddometer:
    Your battery powered impact only gives the benefit of ROTATIONAL impact.
    The old hammer type manual impact, by virtue of the internal cam design apply rotational AND axial force. This keeps the bit engaged in a bitched up screw head.
  13. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 1964 I was a Honda mechanic and used the "t" handle factory tool kit screw drivers.
    We seldom used an impact driver on them. Of course the screws hadn't been abused
    for 40 of 50 years then.
  14. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Back in 74 after I bought my CB350F I was suddenly aware of the JIS screws the first time I did maintenance on the bike. After buggering a few screws off I went to Mike's Honda to ask what to do. Mike told me to buy the hand impact driver they had in the service shop with bits for a Japanese bike. I didn't even know what JIS was, just that I needed a tool to work on my Honda. I bought the impact driver for $13 back then, which I thought was a lot of $$ for a hand tool, when I was getting paid $2 an hour. Well, now, 45 years later that same tool comes out for every Jap bike I work on. That $13 was FAR worth it from 1974 on.
  15. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have impact bits and JIS screwdrivers but sometimes you just need another tool in your arsenal. I discovered the shake-n-break a few years ago and it is pretty impressive.

Andyvh1959 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. Ozarkroadrunner

Ozarkroadrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the late 60s-early 70s WalMart teamed with Popular Mechanics to offer a line of tools under the PM logo. At the time they were quality tools and I bought a couple of phillips head screwdrivers for a few bucks. In fact, they were JIS and I still have them. I can't count the number of motorcycles, scooters and cars they have helped repair. A couple of years ago I found one of the WalMart/Popular Mechanics tool boxes. Don't confuse any of the current PM/Popular Mechanics tools with the early versions, they are not created equally.

Attached Files: