Which new bike to get?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by boarshead, Jul 30, 2019.

1. boarshead

boarshead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok here is the big question- I currently ride a BMW 071200gsa. I want to downsize but still need something that can handle the long haul on the freeway or backroads before I hit the offroad.
    What should I get? I really want to downsize and lighten up. Maybe an 800?
    700? I need something that can take the camp gear and provide wind protection for the long haul.
  2. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should test ride them. The 850 felt heavier to me than the 1250 because the weight was higher. I'd say probably 750, but I never road one of those. I know @AdamChandler recently test rode a 750 and might provide some insight for you. Another option is the XR. When you mention touring/long hauls then a lot of the NineT lineup goes out the window.

I'm assuming by posting this in the BMW forum, you're looking for BMW options, but there are other options out there, like KTM and Triumph (which I like) that are also options.

Good luck!
    boarshead likes this.
  3. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    KTM 790 Adventure R.
    WyldCFH, Oceandiving954, jdub and 3 others like this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well...I guess I have a few questions.

• Are you loyal to BMW only?
    • Is it R-Bike only as in you love the Boxer motor + shaft drive so much you can't imagine being with out them?
    • What's your budget?
    • Are you only looking at used bikes?
    • What are some necessary features for you like do you want Cruise control and ESA and a fancy TFT screen with LED headlights?
    • What's your inseam? Do you want a low bike?

I will say the 800 is a solid choice for a weight savings and deals are out there...a lot of F800GS bikes for sale on ADVRider these days. That won't have a lot of new tech-doo-dads but some still within warranty or dealers want to get rid of them now that the new generation of bikes is out. A R1200GS will feel lighter than your 07GSA in feel because they significantly lightened up the top with nicer materials. I remember test riding an LC GSA the first time and it felt 75 pounds lighter in flick ability. The GS is even lighter. A low R1200GS 2016 will be a nice upgrade for you for around $12-14K and could still have an aftermarket warranty on it from the previous owner.

2007 GSA 564.4 pounds wet.
    2007 GS 504.9.
    2018 GSA is 579.8
    2018 GS is 537.9
    F700 = 467.4
    F750 = 493.8
    F800 = 478.4
    F850 = 504.9

KTM's 1090, 790 bikes are selling like hotcakes but I know nothing about them. I think based on how you answer the questions above will help others because the weight difference from F850 to R1200GS is not a lot and like Side-burn said, the R bike will feel lighter at speed due to the motor.
    boarshead and side-burn like this.
  5. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a dyed in the wool boxer rider for decades now, but would have to factor in the Honda Africa Twin as a viable option. I've never ridden one but hear good things about them.:*sip*
    boarshead, side-burn and AdamChandler like this.
  6. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler and AdamChandler like this.
  7. boarshead

boarshead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not loyal to BMW. I may keep the 1200, get a new bike then sell the Beemer. Also seat height is not a problem. I am 6'2" with some long legs. New or used is fine.
    If I go with BMW I would lean towards the GSA models. For offroad I am thinking a bike that can handle a BDR trip. I have done a couple of them on mine but it is a lot of bike to push around especially when loaded. Would be nice to have traction/ cruise and some extras but not a must
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. KDXRC51

KDXRC51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on looking into the KTM 1090R. That’s gonna be my replacement for the LC GSA.
    I’m lucky enough to have a few bikes and I ride my GSA only back and forth to work. For going out and doing BDR type rides I’ll take either my 950 ADV S or my HP2E or 701.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Africa twin is worth a test ride. An f850. 790R and 1090 are all good choices.
    boarshead likes this.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is OK, heavy and slow compared to a modern boxer, but it is cheap.
    boarshead and Deano747 like this.
  11. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    Hold off on the Africa Twin. New version coming out. A bit larger engine, a bit less weight, a bit different look. No pictures yet. Sorry.
    Motonirvana and boarshead like this.
  12. boarshead

boarshead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does the Husky do on the freeway? Or do you truck or trailer it?
  13. KDXRC51

KDXRC51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2D254234-27EE-499D-8735-B11ED94C9864.jpeg BC91E007-0AFA-4D87-9090-1B0EED5F149D.jpeg
    It’s better than I thought it would be, but it’s definitely no where near as good on the highway as a GSA. I put a highway dirtbikes rally lite kit on it and that does a great job with wind. Also with as light as the bike is, it’s more susceptible to crosswinds. I wouldn’t do a 1000 mile highway day on it. If super long distance days were gonna be a factor, and be lighter, I would look at the 1090R. I had an 800GS, it wasn’t good at anything, and though I understand the 850gs is a lot better, I’d never consider one for the price.
    boarshead and side-burn like this.
  14. DesertGoat

DesertGoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BDR’s, long trips, Alaska, Baja... etc... I’m between the F850 GS and the KTM 790R... they have both extremely good features but it’s hard to decide! The new F850 GSA it’s a bit too heavy might aswell get a boxer engine IHO. Any thoughts? I’ve been waiting patiently for the 790R to become available I’m about to go with the 850GS
  15. boarshead

boarshead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes...I am torn between the both of them myself.....One thing about the 850 GSA is that if you are going long distance you wouldn't have to worry about carrying extra fuel. The haul road for example. That could make the 790 almost the same weight. As you are using fuel up on the road or off-road I would imagine the 850 ends up being lighter than a 1200GSA. Only thing is that the boxer engine has a much lower center of gravity. Real smooth in the turns. The other bike I haven't heard a lot of discussion about is the Triumph 800xcx. I hear they have made some improvements over the years. I think it has pretty good bang for the buck.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW for long tarmac, but the katoom for real off-road(ish).

Not even a close call in my view.
    KDXRC51 likes this.
  17. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting perspective. Which modern boxer adventure bike are you thinking of that makes an Africa Twin feel heavy and slow?
    neanderthal and Maugrim like this.
  18. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering that myself...
  19. Randyincolo

Randyincolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was faced with the same decision recently. Went with a Vstrom 1000, couldn’t be happier with my choice. 2nd place winner was the African Twin but didn’t want to pay the extra cash.
  20. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    A lot depends on the specific bike. One thing that really surprises me, is the wide difference between machines, even of the same basic type and engine size.

A Versys 650 is all motor. It's a pulsating growling beast...uncivilized, a lot of engine buzz (Kawasaki did a good job of isolating it from the bars) and it'll really stand up and dance when you roll it on. It'll also drink gas like a liter bike.

A Honda NC700X seems to have the opposite. Mild and timid, and economical. From what I've read - never owned one.

A Versys 300X has the heart of a 600. Mine, I swear, is almost as fast as my Wee-Strom was.

So...before you fixate on engine SIZE, maybe the thing to do is figure out which particular bike is closest to your needs, and then get the appropriate engine size. Test-ride or rent the object of your affection.