which rear rack w/1.75gal rotopax?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by dj_00, Jul 29, 2014.

1. dj_00

dj_00 GunkL

Oddometer:
    On my 2010 F650GS twin, I have the side and top vario cases. I need to remove the top case for my heart of the west ride and replace the rack with something else. The MOD rack looks awesome.

Problem is I want to run a single, 1.75 gal rotopax, and I'm hoping there's an option out there that will let me run that rotopax and still have access to the strap loops. Looks like by dimensions the MOD rack is made to do that for a 1 gal rotopax. Does anyone make a wider and longer rack that would allow this?

Wonder if we can convince the maker of the MOD rack to extend it for this reason :)

Thanks in advance
    Dave
  2. Sandbogg

Sandbogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am running the Black Dog rack and it could easily be configured that way. You may have to make some nylon webbing loops as extensions for the tie down loops but I think it would be easy to set up as you describe. I really like the rack.

Brian:-).
  3. 73datsun

73datsun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2gal rotopax on a MOD rear rack/plate.

Love it.

[​IMG]
  4. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    To use a MOD plate with a 2 gal. can would probably cover the lashing points.
    I use a Rotopax openable case for tools which I believe is a bit smaller than 2 gal. When I do this I can still access the rear loops on the plate and so I use Rock Straps (which are great BTW). This way I can undo the straps easily and not have to remove the straps from the plate.
    [​IMG]
  5. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I'm understanding the question correctly, the AltRider rear rack is compatible with the Rotopax and leaves options to hook straps through. They make one for the F650GS - http://www.altrider.com/altrider-luggage-rack-for-bmw-f-650-gs/pid/692/cid/15

Just and FYI, the Rotopax 'case' is the same dimensions as the 2 gallon pack (I use their 'Prepardness' cases on my Tiger 800 w/ an AltRider rack). All the '2 gallon' packs stack evenly. The 1.75 Rotopack is a bit thicker, but otherwise smaller.
  6. AltRider

AltRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our rear rack is compatible with the RotopaX, and you can use it with a 1.75.

I just went and snapped these pictures from our display. You can see the gas pack covers most of the rack. However you can still access the cutouts in the side flanges for tie down points. The rounded edges of the RotopaX mean you'd have no problem running straps around the gas pack to the luggage rack. This is what we do when we need to carry gas for longer trips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer!

-- Mitch
  7. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    I mounted RotopaX 1.75 with some adel clamps around grab handles with aluminum plate. Used bar stock as spacers to give clearance to be able to get seat off aft tail rack on F800GS.

Attached Files:

8. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Hi dj 00,

Thanks for your interest in the MOD Top Rack!

I believe I spoke to you via email and as others have suggested using Rok Straps (the best) you can fasten them to the rack prior to mounting the bigger 1.75gal no problem. The they can cinch down whatever is needed.

We didn't want to make it too big that it gets in the way for other set ups/ empty. Carrying a 1gal, 1.75gal or 2 gal (we've even seen them stacked on our rack) is no problem.

This way you still have the multitude of other options our rack offers including the fore-aft adjustability.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on it!

Dave
  9. dj_00

dj_00 GunkL

Oddometer:
    thanks all, ive gone with the MOD rack, managed to source it out of canada (US distributor was out of stock, 20+ days to get in stock would be too late)

i'll make the straps work around the rotopax. I prefer the 1.75gal as I need a little extra fuel, and it should provide a flatter mounting surface for my gear than two 1g rotopax stacked.
  10. Heakle

Heakle Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Something I learned about RotoPax. If you stack two packs, fuel, water or tools, the locking twist handle does not lock the two containers down. the locking twist only works on a single pack configuration. I had to make a piece that slid down the outer holes of both packs that had a slide bar to make the lock work. this keeps the top pack from rotating if someone or road forces twist the top pack.the metal bar is pinned so someone cannot pry it out. More secure would be an all metal fixture.

Attached Files:

11. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that - I bought their last one a couple weeks ago! The Mod rack is a fantastic product.
  13. Heakle

Heakle Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yep, using the extension but if you grab the top can and twist counter clockwise the complete top holding the hardware unscrews from the extension. Emailed Roto Pax about it a couple of times but they do not seem worried about it. It would suck to have my gas and tool container disappear in the middle of no where. I have even put a cable lock through the containers and the tail plate on occasions.