Which roadside tool kit for F800GSA?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by longbedbob, Jun 28, 2018.

1. longbedbob

longbedbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just a bit miffed the BMW didn't include more than a screwdriver and Torx bits. One would think they would at least see to it that you could change a tube on the roadside. But I digress.

I am not looking for a kit to perform depot level repairs, but something that will get me out of the situations I'm likely to encounter - flat tires, dropping in a creek and maybe field servicing for bent levers and other minor repairs for slow speed dumps that aren't protected by the guards and plates I've added.

I have a set of tire levers and spare tubes/patches that I carry in my backpack. So, for tire repair I need the wrenches and/or bits to remove the tires, speed sensors, calipers, etc in order to swap out tubes.

Since I encounter a few creek crossings in my outings I should be prepared to pull the coil packs and spark plugs in case I drop it and need to pump water out of my engine. So...thin walled spark plug socket, specialty wire remover and rachet/extension plus the tools to gain access.

I've been window shopping some out of the box solutions and, without mentioning names, one was $300. Granted, it had everything I needed and then some, but is there something simpler or should I just piece the tools together and roll my own?
  2. desertdaves

desertdaves DesertDave

Oddometer:
    piece it together yourself. I have the same bike.
    I am curious about the exposure that you are concerned about with water crossings, and getting water all the way into the plugs. I don't see how you could do that much damage when dropping the bike. I think it would have to be completely submerged and water going in through the air box.
    If you like, I can send you a list of tools I keep on the bike that are specific for the F800GS. And there are a lot of threads on here with recommended tools.
    Mosko makes a great tool roll, and so does Moose Racing.
    LexJeeper and longbedbob like this.
  3. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    F800GS Toolkit needs
    Go back to page 6 here .
    longbedbob likes this.
  4. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    w-liq_rev1.jpg I floated my F800 down a river, stupid panniers still water tight haven't crashed enough. To pull coils I use a light duty bearing puller , for tools I carry a Torx set goes in screwdriver or 1/4 in socket, ratchet , wrenches from 6 -13 mm pair small Knipex smooth faced adjustables. Spark plug socket from a Stanley socket set . Tire irons & pump/patches. Revelstoke Spiced Whiskey.

When you riding beyond your skill level at least the hangover is less painful then the embarrassment of how you floated a bike down a river.

View attachment 1258401 View attachment 1258408

View attachment 1258401

Attached Files:

longbedbob likes this.
  5. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    billll, longbedbob and BygDaddee like this.
  6. longbedbob

Oddometer:
    Rider 101 likes this.
  7. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you had done a search you would have been directed to www.advdesigns.com Also I have one of their kits - perfect. Dave
  8. longbedbob

Oddometer:
    I did search. I subtly referenced the $300 price tag of the Advdesign kit in the original post. LOL
  9. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Coach Z

Coach Z Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought that Were kit initially when I got the bike, it is super handy but the ratchet handle is MUCH smaller then it looks!. I ended up with the adventure designs kit but in hindsight I think I'd get the Motohansa kit. My $0.02
    longbedbob likes this.
  11. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Advdesign kit. Really nice quality. worth the money for the quality and the effort.
  12. Biff's R

Biff's R Hill William

Oddometer:
    Anyone use the Cruz Tools BMW kit?