Which Shield for the 2013 F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 20Fingers, Nov 1, 2013.

1. 20Fingers

20Fingers GS Giant Alumni

Oddometer:
    Amherst area Va, have land for guest camping!

This is good common sense! It is unreasonable to believe that any fixed-position screens will perform for everyone the same. Since we are all different, one's torso being taller-shorter than the next, adjustable heights or a spoiler that adjusts is a must! Those lucky enough to fit behind a factory screen, like the new one seen on the 2014 F800GSA, will LOVE it, those experiencing buffeting, won't...pretty simple. Experimentation is expensive, knowledge is priceless. Best way to find "your screen" is to find other bikes, friendly riders, and attempt to get some time behind the screen! I got to ride behind a GIVI I was contemplating, I HATED it at highway speeds, buddy loves it. For a minimal amount of expense, I corrected the airflow on my stock screen with the addition of a spoiler, Wunderlich worked best. Ultimately, finding a screen with the most adjustable height would have been the best, but then again, economics weighs in. Currently, I am looking into the Britannia Mirage2 because it offer me two very specific additions to my bike; First, I can *tune in the height and drop it down when off-road-ing my 13 F800GS. Second, I will be able to mount my GPS in the line of sight which reduces risk by keeping my head up! A side benefit, the Mirage2 add something different and a place to hang more obnoxious stickers from my adventures!:evil
  2. gleyfman

gleyfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And on the subject of trying - you can't beat that!
    It would be very expensive though. One solution I found:
    Z-Technic offers "Try Before you Buy" program. If you are lucky enough to have a participating dealer nearby - contact them and go for a ride!
    I was able to find a dealer about 100 miles from me and they have been kind enough to let me try 2 Z-Technic screens and 2 from other manufactures, I ended up buying Givi from them, as it worked best for me.
    Also to consider:
    - MadStad offers 100% satisfaction guarantee - if you don't like it send it back!
    - CeeBailey accepts returns with 20% re-stocking or something like thatÂ…
    So it is possible to test some options without breaking the bank!:D:D:D
  3. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good points.
  4. chriselgui

chriselgui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. gleyfman

gleyfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. chriselgui

chriselgui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so the moose one sucks then.....
  7. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The mirage is a big upgrade from stock. At 6'3" I get a bit of a tap on top of helmet in high winds, but nothing serious. The wind does come around the sides and buffet the shoulders a little, but it is nothing serious. All of the pressure is relieved from the chest and head, but you will get a bit of buffeting on the shoulders.
  8. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Brit. Comp. Mirage II. It was easy to mount and works good with Bark Buster storm hand guards,the bike still turns lock to lock.Good wind coverage but cuts side winds too.Well thought out product!
  9. intr1gue

intr1gue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    will likely install over the coming Turkannakah break; I'll post an update then.

Before this I tried the Laminar Lip and despite wild success on previous bikes it buffet city, as was the Touratech Touring screen (standard height). I'm 5'7", 30in inseam with a standard height seat and an Arai XD3.

10. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a quote for upgrading the windscreen for my '13 to the GSA style. $684 (give or take) from A&S.

I think I'll be looking closer at the Madstad.

Suggestions on color/tint for a Kalamata? Mine is pretty much always covered with dust and bugs...
  11. gleyfman

gleyfman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Again, Madstad offers 100 satisfaction. So you are not risking big bucks if it does not work! You can always return it.
    I would definitely try that before spending ~700$ on GSA screen

I would go with clear, Madstad is huge and making it tinted making it really visible.

12. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Might not be constructive input in this thread but: After initially being thrown about by the stock windshield I had researched various options and was about to pull the trigger on a 20" CB. Asked if they could cut it down to 19" at the factory and send it out to me in NZ. Never heard back from them and then forgot about it. 6 months or so later, I haven't really thought about my shield I guess. So it's stock for me - but the good stuff is only 30 mins away :) If I had lots of highway mileage to contend with I'm sure it would be different.
  13. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think that I will pull the trigger on the clear 18" Madstad.

Did a quick little ride today from San Jose to Fernley and the temperature, which started at a nice 72 has gone to the high 20's. Ah well. Back to Tahoe for me in an hour or so...
  14. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second the Desertio 3... Really nice being able to lower it when riding technical terrain. The windscreen is rock solid at all speeds and very solid. It does ok at 70mph but still get some buffeting though. Your seat height would be a big factor in that.

[​IMG]
  15. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have just fitted the Puig screen and experience a lot more wind noise than with the standard screen
    This is quite frustrating as I like the look of the Puig
    ROYAL COACHMAN likes this.
  16. digger2

digger2 A cad & a bounder

Oddometer:
    Has anyone cut down the stock until they get good results
  17. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was experience also on my 2015
    Going to try a modified Cal Scientific next( had good results with this on my V strom )