Which small ADV ride?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Woodsparrow, Nov 19, 2019.

1. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its nice to hear from someone that has owned both. I like riding the dirt roads and the lighter weight of the vx300 , the spokes and larger front tire ,at the time , sold me on the VX. I bet I would like the 500x also. I would own a Himalayan. I think it's a tough, simple , travel ready bike.
    flexiflyer likes this.
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Cycle world has a guy that commutes on lots of bikes and shoots video. He seemed particularly impressed with the Versys-X 300 in that environment.

flexiflyer likes this.
  3. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m going to step out and say it, the BMW and the RE aren’t on the same playing field as the Versys. I haven’t ridden the Enfield but we do have a buddy with a 310 GS. For your road use, the Versys wipes the floor with the BMW in the suspension dept and engine wise as the speeds creep up. On the road the Versys is like a mini S1000XR.

Rode 6,000 miles from NC to WY and back, 2 Versys 300’s and 1 ‘19 CB500X in 10 days. I have a ‘19 Versys my brother in law has a ‘19 CB500X. I could feel the extra weight of the CB once offroad. On road they are pretty even speed wise. But the Honda has a better put together feel and the lower down torque of that motor, I’m not sure if it’s quicker accelerating but it feels like it punches a little harder. But for me I just love the way the 300 revs to the moon. On the east coast it’s a toss up, especially since you are taking offroad out of the equation. If you ever ride out west, headwinds figure in on these smaller displacement bikes. The CB has a slightly easier time holding 80-85mph in a headwind.
    rideforzen likes this.