Which Tank Bag???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MoodyBlues, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this...

Oddometer:
    I have a '11 F800GS and have still yet to find a good tank bag. I know, some people hate them... some people love them. I need one. Was leaning towards the Wolfman Rainer or Explorer Light. It can be a dedicated tank bag as I have plenty now for my other bikes. Looked at the BMW bag, until I saw the price tag. I know I can get better for less.

What do you have and how do you like it? And where did you get it?
  2. havocdog

havocdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wolfman Small Expedition Tank Bag (http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/sm_expedition_tank_bag.html)- I like it so much I recently also got the un-lite one. Access is 3 steps - lift lid from either end (snap buckles on back end or velcro on front end), unsnap cinching strap under lid, open dust collar and move dust flap (maybe its four steps). I thought it was a nuisance at first (vs a zipper) but it doesn't bother me now - it keeps the contents dust free and secure.

This picture was taken about an hour after I slammed the bike hard on its left side on a failed single track hill climb. The bag never budged, even though it was loaded with heavy stuff - tools, flashlight, spare batteries, etc.
    [​IMG]
  3. Sport

Sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had one of these for years. Mine's a magnet type and it stays on very well. Expands too. Its shown in its expanded size. I use mine for a cooler mostly, using its waterproof cover inside out (in) the bag with ice cubes in a bag, along with the usual odds and ends. Works great!

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/656269/Cortech-Mini-Tank-Bag
  4. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    has my vote for a smaller bag. Need to gas up? Unsnap the front two doo-lollies, flip the bag back onto the seat, Finished? Set it back on the tank, snap-snap, roll on.

Depending on tank shape, can mount it "backward" if that works better.

Attached Files:

5. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
    Depending on tank shape, can mount it "backward" if that works better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats what I did with my Cortech on this summer CDR ride as to "keep the shit fro all falling out when I opened it." A great tank bag, its now on my Connie, but just a tad small. The slope of the F800 tank "air box cover" kind of limits the options.
  6. MoodyBlues

Oddometer:
  7. I-Su.Yu

I-Su.Yu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Giant Loop Fandango has some nice features. Waterproof and removable by unzipping it from the harness.
  8. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Wolfman Explorer lite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits WAY better on the F8 than on the KLR!

Does not get in the way of standing at all.
  9. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I'm also a fan of the Explorer Lite. It's not so tall that it gets in the way when standing or activates your horn when turning hard. It's almost made for the F650/F800GS since the straps thread through the BMW tank loops under the seat which make for a clean installation. I use mine as a dedicated tank bag, but it can be unbuckled and put in a pannier with the anchor straps still attached to the bike. I bought mine from an eBay dealer for $125 shipped which seems to be the going rate for them.

[​IMG]
  10. DrRock

DrRock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On road touring trips I would like to use my iPad for navigation (never for off road), anyone have advice on a tank bag with a map sleeve big enough?
  11. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:

They show three options, universal, early and late KLR on the Wolfman site. I assume yours is from an early KLR?
  12. havocdog

havocdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do, don't buy the BMW bag!

Personally, I wanted something big enough for an iPad and went with the Wunderlich. Works very well.

[​IMG]
  14. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Wolfman Explorer Lite ... great tank bag! :clap
  15. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Bags Connection one I got to replace my Recon 11 is great. Good quality build, and it zips off the base so you can carry it with you. Holds an amazing amount for its size and was money well spent. You are lucky you saved your money on the BMW one, compare the build quality to any other bag on the market and you will wonder why it costs 3 times as much.
  16. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Wolfman Rainier. Love it.
  17. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    The difference is in the straps that are required, the bag is the same.

Early KLR needed the front straps to be mounted/screwed to the front faring.

For the F8, the universal strap set is the ticket. Just wrap the front straps around the metal frame and the rear straps where you like.

I have mine on the outside so that they pull the bottom bag out a bit more.
  18. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    + 1 Excellent bag
  19. DabsAlot

DabsAlot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Wolfman Explorer Lite and love it. It is not waterproof, but I carry a clear dry bag inside. I can pull the dry bag out and easily see what I want to pull out. I have a Camelbak 70oz. Unbottle http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Unbottle-70.aspx I stick in the Explorer LIte and it fits perfectly, with enough room for my dry bag to carry my personals. I believe the Wolfman Rainier has the same footprint as the Explorer Lite, but is taller and has the option of side pockets. I think I bought it directly from Wolfman Luggage. http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

Steve
  20. KL0RG

KL0RG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Giantloop Fandango. Fits the F800gs very well and I really like the way it zips off the harness so you don't have to mess with the straps at all. One thing I will say is it's not waterproof, more like water resistant, but I use ziplocs or roll-top waterproof bags to put anything in that will get damaged by water.

[​IMG]