Which tools to get to change a flat?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markomarkovich, Feb 13, 2018.

1. markomarkovich

markomarkovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I'm new to BMW and spoked rims coming from a multistrada.

I'm taking a long 6 month tour of Europe this summer on my 2010 800GS and I'm putting scout k60 tires on it in a few months before I leave. The guy who sold me the bike told me the front tire is tubed but the rear isn't but he wasn't sure since he was selling the bike for his friend.

What kind of tools do you recommend as per tire levers to change a flat on the bike when I'm traveling?

I also have a 2017 800GSA I am keeping in the states and was wondering if this bike has tubes or not as well? Both bikes have Michelin anakees. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
  3. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    All 800gs use tubes on the spoked rims, unless aftermarket solutions were used.
    You can however use both TT or TL tires, but will still have to use tubes in those said tires.
  4. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Best rest bead breaker makes life easy.

Tire mounting tool makes life even easier: http://tiremountingtool.com/tmt/

Motion pro 24mm : https://m.ebay.com/itm/MOTION-PRO-T...808079&hash=item41ab823dee:g:EUMAAOSwagdXR4sF

Motion pro adapter: https://m.ebay.com/itm/MOTION-PRO-T...m=282720813471&_trksid=p2056116.c100890.m2460

Titanium sockets at Newmatic Medical...

Best Rest Tube valve puller, best rest air pump, air guage, puncture kits... ect

Found in here:

https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/tire-repair-accy/
  5. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    I would have a shop take the k60 off- use a different tire- you absolutly need the first two tools in my list for a k60
  6. Kylerbry

Kylerbry BMW F700 GS | 1st Bike ever

Oddometer:
    Very handsome Ride!! Loving it! When you purchased your pannies did you get a package deal for all three or did you purchase individually
    and did the top mount come with the top box? Is the top box big enough to fit a full sized helmet ?
  7. Kylerbry

Kylerbry BMW F700 GS | 1st Bike ever

Oddometer:
    May I ask what kind of windshield are you using?
  8. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Top box is a 24 L zega pro- no it cannot fit a helmut. It has a rapid trap rack I can see....
  9. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't wish a roadside puncture of a K60 on my worst enemy.
    outty likes this.
  10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    tire lube, not wd-40 or monkey jizz. tire lube.

@Kylerbry the 38 liter Zega Pro fits a full face helmet, but honestly a small cable lock will keep your helmet fairly safe for about 15 bucks. also its only a matter of time until your topbox ends up looking like the inside of a womans purse and theres not room for the helmet anymore. that said, i have both the 25 and 38 liter zega top boxes, i much prefer the 24 because i tend to carry less crap in it. if youre just looking for a locking stash box/toolbox you can mount up a water proof pelican(type) box with a padlock for under $100 bucks
    =o&o> likes this.
  11. =o&o>

=o&o> I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer:
    Motion-Pro-08-0519-BeadPro-Breaker
    Valve stem fishing tool

I carry these and a bicycle tire pump on the bike. I have used only these tools (and a compressor) to change K-60s in my driveway. Takes a bit more time than much larger / heavier tools, but not long enough to get out those other tools.
    LosTabarnacos likes this.
  12. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for the BeadPro-Breaker and the Fishing tool

Almost easy with the proper tools [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    =o&o> likes this.
  13. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the motion pro bead pro. I have the aluminum one on my F800GS and the Iron ones in my garage. I don't use a tool to get the valve stem through the wheel, I just ignore the pain and use my fingers.
    =o&o> likes this.
  14. markomarkovich

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the help guys. I ended up ordering the Best Rest Beadbraker. I hope thats all i need. Im going to try to install the scout K60's in my garage before thew trip to try to get the hang of it!

Im wondering if i should order the Motion Pro levers as well but from what i see the best rest kit came with levers, just wondering if i may want different levers incase i don't like those?!
  15. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    the best rest breaker is a lot of tool, did you get that or the motion pros breakers ?

get a junked wheel and tire set to practice with before you do your own tire.
  16. =o&o>

=o&o> I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer:
    BestRest BeadbrakR kit appears to include tire lube and fishing tool, so you don't have to buy them separate. Looks like it has a lot of little pieces to keep track of / assemble / disassemble during the tire change process. I'd likely try breaking the bead while the wheel is still on the bike with that tool.

I like the MotionPro BeadPro-Breaker tools because they are simple, light, and longer levers than many.

Watch the first part of THIS video for how the BeadPro-Breaker levers work. Watch the videos below for tube-type tires. I wouldn't bother / haven't bothered with rim protectors (not that they were used effectively in the video). You can use your visor cleaning spray (sparingly) instead of Windex. Always try to work with warm tires. Always make sure to have both beads in the center of the rim as much as possible when taking off the first bead.

Maybe add a small bicycle tube patch kit (stem remover, glue, patches) , small bottle of baby power, and a spare front wheel sized tube (can be used for the rear wheel in an emergency) to your travel kit.

Watch these.. goes through every detail and tip ... (you won't have rim locks) ... but this guy makes it look so easy it'll make you angry:
    Part 1 -
    Part 2 -
    Part 3 -

Some of the extra tools are nice, but not necessary. be careful not to pinch the tube with a tire iron, or the tire itself. I always work from opposite the valve stem to avoid damaging the stem.
    lexaria and ADVwxyz like this.
  17. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I don't know what 'wilds' of Europe you are traveling , but as mentioned above, that K60 is really something to change. I tried to put a new K60 rear on (replaced an Anakee) with travel levers and I couldn't do it . You'd swear it's a 16" not a 17" tire. Luckily I found a guy (it was in Bolivia) that had large shop tire irons . Carry Slime or similar and hope that gets you to a tire shop .Else, good luck .
  18. markomarkovich

Oddometer:
    I'm really trying to stick with the k60 because in the 13000 miles I had the k60 tire on my multistrada I had zero flat tires. Meanwhile when I had a street tire before that for 3000 miles I have over 6 plugs in the tire before I gave up on it.

The k60 has gone through hell and back with me on my multi and I'm really in love with it for not getting me a single flat for 13000 miles of NYC riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =o&o> likes this.
  19. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    I agree the K60 is a great tire .I rode them down then up S America and through the Amazon. I'm switching to a Mitas E07 for Africa to try it out .

I wasn't knocking the K60 as a tire choice .Just letting you know what you're in for so you can prepare . Have a great time and enjoy.
  20. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:

; )

”They are indestructable, and last forever- a little known fact: Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadser going to Mars have them fitted... a pefect tire for the vacuum of space...”

; )