Which tools to get to change a flat?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markomarkovich, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Redback-gj

Redback-gj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Travelling foward is easy travelling back is the hard part...
  2. vesteroid

vesteroid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not seeing these, I see one of changing a front tire but nothing showing a hard rear tire like a motoz.

I am sure my technique sucks, but I bought a set of motion pro bead breakers to change the front tire and it was very easy to do. Not a fair comparison between that rear and the front and it was my second one, so I si\uppose I learned some things, but those 16 inch levers make it simple.

Link where the videos are showing a motoz. Maybe I can see what I am doing wrong.
  3. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm real happy with the Motion Pro bead breakers. I have the big ones in my garage and I have the smaller aluminum ones on my bike. The fact that they are also tire irons makes them even better.
  4. davidpetersen

davidpetersen BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the link - shows using heavy duty zip ties with a Moto-Z.
    lexaria likes this.
  5. vesteroid

vesteroid Adventurer

Oddometer:

I ordered one of the tire mounting tool changers. Buyer beware, 3 weeks no contact and no,shipment. Emails go unanswered and PayPal cannot contact them.
  6. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Really?!!! I did not have a problem two years ago man! Shizr....
  7. davidpetersen

davidpetersen BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I watched the video for the Tire Mounting Tool (from Italy???) uses the same principle as the Baja No Pinch tool. (company must be defunct, no replies to customers)

Watch the bead of the tire closest to the operator. It's sitting high up on the rim . It's not down in the well. The operator uses the mechanical advantage of his tool to "brute force" the bead over the rim. Simply stated, this technique is wrong, dead wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Crush the bead near where the operator is standing, or sitting, or reclining, or hovering, then you'll have working room on the opposite side where the irons are in play. Unless you get the bead down into the well you're gonna fight the opposite side of the tire. This is the single biggest error that most riders make when they're changing a tire.
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'll first hand agree with this. i broke the steel in the sidewall of an E-07 Dakar, using a little too much mechanical advantage from a baja no-pinch.