Which would you get?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SnoDrtRider, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    An opportunity has presented itself to get a new bike...
    I need to choose between the 800GS and GSA....

Not one for the big aluminum panniers or top boxes nor do I need the larger fuel capacity.
    I am thinking the regular GS would be a better choice for me.
    I have a 2005 F650GS now with the Vario Cases and they have enough capacity for our trips which are 90% road. I have a tank bag for quick access items and a tail bag for extra capacity if need be.
    Other than the larger fuel capacity what is the main advantage of the GSA over the GS?
  2. KILR0Y

KILR0Y Is here...

Oddometer:
    Not to seem disrespectful, but I do believe you already know which bike you want.

Other than what you mentioned, which you say you don't really need, I believe the only other things you get are 12v powerlet, heated grips, taller windshield, cheap plastic knuckle guards, a couple of different colors, and a wad more on the price tag.

Save your money and get the GS. For me the panniers and extra fuel were deal breakers - so I absolutely love my GSA because of the extras. They were worth it in my case.

I would look at Mosko-moto if you have any baggage needs. They have great products.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Keygs and SnoDrtRider like this.
  3. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Don't really need a taller windshield I like the heated grips they help extend the riding season for us... same with the handguards more to keep the wind off your hands. I'll see what the dealer comes up with.
  4. KILR0Y

KILR0Y Is here...

Oddometer:
    Yes, they may be able to add them to the GS for you if they don't come standard

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  5. Traxx

Traxx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the heated grips are standard on the gs as well.
    sieg likes this.
  6. Zero Alpha

Zero Alpha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've heated grips on my 08 GS. You can add the camel tank cheaply to give you equivalent range to the GSA.

The GSA should have better suspension and rims to justify the extra $$$.
  7. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    If you are 90% road, I wouldn't even go the 800, the 700 is a better road bike and very capable off-tar.
    sieg likes this.
  8. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should, but don't :(

The GSA has a wider, more comfortable seat. I had one for a year and never liked it, except that it was a little better off road than the '07 R1200GS I had. I know there are plenty of people who like them, and I'm not one of them. If you're not riding off road, there's no reason to pick this bike over many others for less money. As Woody has just mentioned, if it's just gotta be a 800cc BMW, get the F700GS. It'll save you a couple grand, and be better on the pavement than the F800.
  9. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Looking at the BMW web site everything is an option... no real indication on what comes "stock" I would never have another bike without heated grips.
    As far as 700 vs 800 why have a bike that weighs virtually the same but has less power and requires the same (premium) fuel? Also don't care for the alloy wheels.
    Plus looking down the road if I ever sold or traded the bike the 800 is much more popular than the 700 and should be an easier sale/trade.
    I also need to add I am vested in the GS platform as far as tools including a GS911.
    JustKip likes this.
  10. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    The 700 has virtually the same power as the 800, in fact the 650 (twin) had more power at legal speeds than the 800, which is why it is a better highway bike. You are aware the 650/700/800 twins are all the same 800 cc motor? You may rethink your disdain for alloy wheels if you get a blowout.
    sieg and JustKip like this.
  11. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I have a 12GS and a 7GS. Had an 8GS several years ago. They all come with heated grips. Go ride them and make up your mind.
  12. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Yes running gear is virtually identical... main difference is cams I believe. I could be mistaken but the 700 & 650 are just de-tuned 800s.
  13. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Not so much detuned as retuned. The 800 is tuned for more peak power, whereas the others have lower peak power, but spread more throughout the rev range. The 800 is also lower geared, which makes it seem more powerful again, but brings the vibration level down to legal cruising speeds.
    sieg likes this.
  14. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 800GSA and my wife has the 2010 800GS. I don't ride hers often, but last weekend I had to run them both down a steep loose hill. Her bike was noticeably more nimble. I also recently weighed my GSA, which has all factory options (center stand,fog lights) and farkles (better engine guards, skid plate, pegs, risers, etc): 540 lbs fully fueled and no panniers...and I even put in Shorai batteries to shed 6-8 lbs.

Basically the GSA gets you more fuel and wider fairings for your legs, so it is more of a long-distance version of the GS. The windscreen on the GSA: most get head buffeting and we buy the TT wind spoiler to put on.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  15. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks this is the kind of info I am looking for.
  16. ytsiwt

ytsiwt Adventurer

Oddometer:

Morning SnoDrtRider

I just went though this a short while ago--

The GSA in a nicer outfitted bike as bought BUT!- the GSA windshield still sucks so you are paying for something that you probably will replace anyway.

The included GSA pannier racks didn't appeal to me as I am not going to use the super expensive BMW GSA panniers.

The GSA tail rack is JOKE so that is something that you are paying for that you probably won't use.

The GSA include engine guards are also pretty useless so for any serious off-road work you will probably replace those with something better.

Same with the GSA skid plate (not nearly as good as some of the aftermarket plates).

So it basically came down to a fair amount more money (GSA higher priced) to get about the only thing on the GSA that I cared about (a larger fuel tank)

Then I rode a friends GSA off-road (in some single track technical stuff) then rode another friends plain old 800GS through the same course & the narrower (lighter feeling) plain old 800 GS really felt much better in the off-road technical stuff.

So I bought a 800GS then stared outfitting it to be decently set up for off-road & poor-condition-road use.

It is when I stared outfitting my standard 800GS that I discovered that MANY aftermarket parts, accessories, & protection accessories DON'T fit on the 800GSA.

I now have a perfectly set up standard 800GS that I really like, both on road, & off road, (except in the very tight technical stuff) & knowing what I know now I would not buy an 800GSA__ EXCEPT__ I would sure like an extra gallon or so fuel capacity. An 800GS with more fuel capacity & wider spaced trans gear ratios would be JUST PERFECT.
    JustKip and SnoDrtRider like this.
  17. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks ytsiwt,

Same general thought here... aftemarket farkles give you a choice to mix and match accessories to fit individual needs. Other than center stand, Vario cases, hand guards and heated grips I would go all aftermarket. Sometimes you can even pick up good used stuff too!
  18. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most notably to me for the aftermarket stuff that is different is the windscreen and headlight guards. Seat is different. Probably the side guards too, but there are perfectly good options here for the gsa. I haven't tried to replace the hand guards, they may be different. No issue with skid plate, rear rack plates, pegs, and risers.

So if you are looking for used parts, then there will be less availability for the GSA where the parts are different.

For what I do, 1-4 day trips around the Southwest, I wish I had the GS. If I were doing around the world or long haul trips, the GSA is the way to go. I got both bikes used off Craigslist.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    If extra fuel is all you need, get a Camel Tank.
  20. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yeah couple days or a week trips and even it they were longer it's not like I'm going to be in an area where fuel is not available in 150-200 miles.
    Not really looking for / Limited to used farkles but if they come up so be it. A nice scarred up skid plate is way cooler than a new shiny one right?:gdog How else to you get cred in the Starbucks lot?