Which years F800GS come with tubeless rims as stock?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Peanuts, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    The wire wheels, I thought they were all tubed, but starting to wonder....
  2. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, NO F800GS comes (or ever came) with tubeless wheels and tires.

If you look at the wire wheels on an F800GS and compare them with a 1200GS you'll see that where the spokes attach to the rim is very different on both wheels. On the 800 they attach near the middle of the rim (well, not really the middle but INSIDE of where the tire bead sits) and on the 1200 they attach along the outer lip of the wheel, OUTSIDE of where the tire bead sits in the rim. Very different.

The 1200's rims are tubeless while on the 800 they're tube type.
    The Maz likes this.
  3. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know about the BEHR tubless rims on the big bikes, I have a set on my KTM 990, relaced from an Aprillia 1000.
    But conventional looking rims can be tubeless, they either use a rubber sealing band or o rings on the nipples.
    So I take it your 2013 800GS has tubes, I wonder if newer ones came tubless?
  4. srv256ss

srv256ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2015 GSA has tubes, according to the Dealer at least. Haven't had to replace the tires yet so no validation.

5. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, newer F800GS's (GS or GSA) are NOT tubeless. They have spoke wheels, but they have (and need) tubes.

Two reasons for this in my opinion; first of all tubes are definitely a better choice for a pure off-road bike. A dented rim with a tube wheel/tire won't necessarily result in a flat tire and dented rims are not all that uncommon off-road. A dented rim on a tube tire means you're totally SOOL (and the last three letters mean Out Of Luck!).

Second reason is cost as these kinds of rims are certainly less expensive to produce, but even then there are different qualities.

The 1200 is a great big beast (as much as I love it) but you're not going to be doing much stump-jumping and SERIOUS off-road with it, therefore tubeless wheels/tires are just fine. And on the 1200 the spoke wheels are, IMHO, more for cosmetic reasons than anything else. They look super cool!

6. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    F700GS is tubeless, not 800
  7. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the 700 doesn't have spoke wheels.

8. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help. Now I know I can pack a patch kit for me rental bike :)