White LED Strobe Lights

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 67siia, Jul 22, 2019.

1. 67siia

67siia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good day all, I’ve notice some riders with their flashers/hazard lights on when splitting lanes on the freeway.

Can anyone advise if white LED Strobe lights would be legal in California, while splitting lanes on the freeway?

Thanks in advance
  2. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't say whether it's legal, it not, but I did see a BMW splitting lanes on 101 southbound a few days ago, and he had flashing white LEDs attached to the front of his handguards.
  3. 67siia

67siia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That’s what I have in mind. Just wondering about the legality of it.
  4. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best answer I can give is, check with the DMV, or a motorcycle attorney. Of one thing I'm certain - they can NOT flash blue and/or red...unless you want trouble...lol
  5. 67siia

67siia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I emailed the CHP, let’s see if I get a reply.
  6. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't say CHP...said DMV. DMV determines the vehicle codes, CHP only enforces then.
  7. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:

Law determines the vehicle codes, CHP enforces them, DMV does paperwork.

Gennerally, California state law prohibits any flashing light except for turn signals, emergency signals, and headlight modulator. The problem is that most flashy LEDs are intended for bicycle use and would not meet the standards for a headlight modulator. Also, fire trucks and ambulances have white stobelights on them to override traffic signals. If an LEO suspects that you are trying to fool the traffic light, it would tend to get their attention. Best bet would be to go with a headlight modulator instead since it is known to be legal.
  8. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, a headlight modulator is legal in California, but ONLY under these two conditions:

1) The modulator can ONLY be connected to the hi-beam.
    2) The modulator can ONLY be used during daylight hours.

While I couldn't find anything specific, I would assume that a modulator enable/disable switch would also be required, so as to disable the modulator for normal hi-beam usage at night. I still think the handguard-mounted LED option should be legal (but, again, I'd check to be certain), as long as the "flashing" is at the same rate as your bike's standard 4-way hazard lights.
  9. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the right kind of attention, and avoiding the wrong kind of attention, I'd go for Skene lights.
    67siia likes this.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I always loved section 25250 VC - flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as otherwise permitted.

Seems simple enough until you continue reading. Like another 6 or so pages of permitted flashing lights. :confused
    BTW driving with hazard lights flashing is not one of the allowed exceptions. The forward flashing LEDs were not allowed on civilian vehicles at the time I retired from the CHP in 2012 and probably aren't now. Any light would have to be approved (usually has an SAE number) and my guess is that few if any forward flashing lights have that certification. Many lights sold have the qualification 'for offroad use only'
    Strong Bad and 67siia like this.
  11. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Actually, the legislature determines the vehicle code laws. Both DMV and CHP are consulted on various laws being written. I did a one month temporary assignment in Sacramento for the CHP and soon discovered that bill analysis was a much larger part of the job than I anticipated. Hence only spending one month there
    Strong Bad likes this.