1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

White Rim Trail on 250's **Part 4 The Ride from the Bottom Up Finally**(Nov 11 on post #22)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by eddie98, Sep 22, 2020.

1. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I drove out to Moab over the Labor day week and explored the area. As it turns out, the weather decided to come in from Canada dumping a bunch of snow in CO and drop the temps in Moab to 30's and 40's for a couple of days.
    Our main objective was to ride White Rim the last day (Thursday) but this day the temps were only in the 50s and we did not have the gear to ride in that cool weather. We had to push our ride the day we were leaving Moab.

Here is the first part of our ride. We both had GoPros and took turns recording so we didn't end up with the same footage. It's my first time putting together a video with audio so don't judge on the audio too much LOL.
    We started from the Canyonlands visitor center and it tooks us 9hrs to complete and 106.4 miles round trip.

I will be working on the rest of the footage over the next few weeks and I try to make the other parts better. Also will be sharing some pictures this weekend.

2. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you guys take a bunch of breaks? Just curious about the 9 hours as I haven't ridden it yet, but I've seen others tell me took them about 5 hours..
  3. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes we did make a lot of stops/breaks. We were not rushing it and we were enjoying our ride and taking in the amazing views. Based on the numbers above our average speed was around 12mph. We stopped for lunch in a good spot with a view for 30 mins. I'm sure it can be done in the 5 hrs if you all pushing it and not really stopping for pics. We saw a group of KTMs hauling in one of our stops.

When are you planning on going? If you have any other questions let me know.
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you obey the 15mph speed limit it should take about 7 hours. :ricky First time I did it we got passed by 3 guys on bicycles.:muutt
    TaZ9 and leevil like this.
  5. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    Took us 6 hrs. with adequate stops along the way, it was pushing 100 down it the hole...stunning, lifetime ride type stuff..now I want to go back, Utah is so awesome!
    eddie98 likes this.
  6. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, white rim trail is on my list after having been to canyonlands. Love that park.
    eddie98 likes this.
  7. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We got really lucky, after the cold front left the temps were only in the 80's the whole day. We had plenty of water for the ride. We froze 3 water bottles and took 4 non frozen. By the end of the trail we were thirsty and all we had was frozen water. Put it out in the tank bag to thaw but it took a while.

a few days before, we were in Mexican Hat riding Valley of the Gods, Muki Dugway and Goosenecks State Park. Here are some pictures from that area. We definitely want to go back as there are lots of places to ride and explore. Whether you want to take your time and enjoy the ride or go fast, it's definitely a must do.

I will be posting more pictures of White Rim this weekend and hopefully the next part of our ride. Stay tuned IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2930.JPG IMG_2945.JPG IMG_2968.JPG IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2939.JPG .
    bomose, Comrade Art, NSFW and 4 others like this.
  8. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    this looks doable on slow big bike?

or am i lieing to myself??
  9. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends on your riding ability on a big bike. In short yes, we saw GS's and KTM ADV on it the previous days. Good knobies will be key at least for me. We spoke with the GS riders and it took them all day just as it did for us. It was a group of 5. I wouldn't do it on my S10, just too much work for me.
    Most of the trail is flat once you get down to the bottom. You have a few sections of sand, a few more downhills (if you run it clockwise) and a one good uphill at one point (I will post it when I finish the video). once at the bottom, at Green River, you start climbing back up.
    red bud likes this.
  10. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I camped in that spot about ten years ago. One of my best outdoor nights ever. I daydream about it all the time.
    [​IMG]
    eddie98 likes this.
  11. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is part 2 of our long ride along White Rim Trail. I will probably end up with around 10+ parts from all the footage. I didn't want to make a super long video as it would be almost 2 hrs and no one is going to just watch a long video. We tried to take as much as possible and show they full trail.

https://youtu.be/FP3SGSgyjbY

TwilightZone and chudzikb like this.
  12. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still a couple years out from going. I'm splitting my TAT trip over 2 trips. I will probably wind up there in the heat of summer unfortunately.
  13. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guess that depends on your off-road riding skills. I rode it on my 950 adventure with TKC’s. There was a little sand here and there way back when I rode it but aside from that and the baby head rocks on some of the climbs no biggy.
  14. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    SWEET! I'm headed out there in two weeks with my DR650 and White Rim is at the top of the list. I've been there a bunch of times but haven't done White Rim yet. I just ordered a fresh D606 for the rear. Current one is a bit on the thin side.
  15. Socal996

Socal996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like your wife is on a XT250. Curious of your opinion on the XT in Moab.
  16. Scramblette

Scramblette 2005 DL650

Oddometer:
    I did it last month on a 650 vstrom loaded w/camping gear. I laid it down three times at low speed but it can be done. My buddy I was with did it on a Tenere with camping gear strapped to it and loaded side cases.
    eddie98 and red bud like this.
  17. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a difference between "Can be done" and "Can be fun", ... and it usually related to the weight of the bike.
    I have a Vstrom 650 and at my age and skill level I would never try it on that bike.
    However, the WRT my DRZ400E and my WR450 were a blast.
    eddie98 likes this.
  18. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For her is the perfect bike. She’s able to touch the ground with both feet. The couple of times I rode it up the hills i was impressed by the power of it. The fuel injection definitely was a great upgrade for that bike.
    The handle bars could be higher, the one mod we will be doing.
  19. Socal996

Socal996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotcha, thanks for the reply
  20. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    This trail is on my bucket list. Post more pics if you can. Thanks :thumb
    eddie98 likes this.