White Rim Trail Two Up

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Brian Reiber, Feb 17, 2019.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:

That's a nice looking Van Van back there, holding up the rear.:D
    simbaboy likes this.
  2. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As someone who routinely rides two (and 3 if you include the doggo) up offroad on a Super Tenere, often with luggage, and who has a TON of offroad experience and who has ridded the WRT....

You're a moron for even thinking of attempting it two up, with camping gear, and WITHOUT offroad experience. Even if you don't receive life threatening injuries, out in one of the most remote places in the US, you're not going to enjoy the 16th time dead lifting the bike or the unbelieveable struggle it can be to get a big bike through deep sand.

So, what I'm saying is: take lots of video so we can all point and laugh (or applaud!)

Frankly, I'm just pissed I can't get a permit....
    shrederscott likes this.
  3. Severn Runner

Severn Runner n00b

Oddometer:
    Been reading all the replies and certainly understand them. I wouldn't take my wife around on the Africa Twin because: 1) her health 2) I'm not that good. But, if your wife is healthy, it's always possible for her to get off and walk, meeting you at the top (or bottom) of the "technicals." That's a deal breaker for some, an easy alternative for others. A lot of variables in play....
    Brian Reiber likes this.
  4. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    P1000564.JPG My wife had only been riding for 2yrs and rode the WRT on her KLX250 loaded with camping gear. Yeah she fell a couple times, but dude, a novice girl can do it. She went right up Murphys Hogback with ice on it. Yeah, yeah, conditions change, i know. I got flooded out a couple years ago and couldn't make the loop. But if the conditions are good, it shouldn't be that hard.
    Brian Reiber, vfrmike and Todd157k like this.
  5. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how often the Rangers come through. I know they watch from above sometimes. I don't think there's much cell coverage. I'm sure if you get stuck someone will be along eventually. The WRT is well traveled that time of year. If you get injured badly, can your wife ride the bike for help? Mine can't, and that limits some of our rides. I was really thinking about that on the River Road in Big Bend trying to get through the deep washes. There is no traffic there. If the weather looks sketchy, you can still do Chicken Corner. Not as long, but still spectacular.
    P1070912.JPG P1060012.JPG
    Brian Reiber likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, rent a Jeep or side by side instead of killing yourselves two up on a big bike.
    djroszina and tellicotom like this.
  7. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Just keep in mind that there are sections of the road that have little to no room for error, and some of them are not particularly technical. I know from personal experience.
    Brian Reiber likes this.
  8. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy this thread is one hell of a thread. Theres alot to take in on this subject and I appreciate all of it seeings how I ride 2up and wanted to do it. Advise of every kind. Thanks Gents! Cheers! EDIT: I asked the same question about the BOM1000 ride and was more or less told not to. We did anyway after seeing what we could handle on the BDR sections we did in ID and WA. Had a great time! But that was that and didnt have cliffs and shit. Sand sucks for sure and so would nasty washed out hills with ledges? Cant say I am ready to pull the trigger on WRT.
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Dedicated to @Brian Reiber (and his wife). :bow

WARNING: NSFW (if you work in a place with no sense of humor)

Brian Reiber likes this.
  10. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    For a little more perspective on some road conditions. In the following two pictures it appears the road continues on and is nothing much to worry about. What you can't see until the last bit is the 100+ foot drop just past my helmet and the front tire of my bike. The road goes from about 2.5 lanes wide to just barely a lane wide and makes a hard left in the blink of an eye. There is no phone service out there, and it will take emergency services at least an hour to arrive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://advrider.com/f/threads/remembering-annie-rest-in-peace-ann-grace-redner.1261763/
    bomose likes this.
  11. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Side by sides are not allowed, must be plated!
  12. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    But there are plenty of Jeep's, trucks etc. Even full sized four wheel drive vans.
  13. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    concerning side by sides, some states plate them. I have a friend from Arizona and his is plated and he was offroad with us in Colorado
  14. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    and cogswell, 2 great photos, made my ass pucker remembering more than once in that area, concentrating on my line and around the corner comes a 4 wheel cage. Holy cow, those little cracks in the rock you are showing are not your friend when all the sudden ones concentration changes rapidly. I've cleaned my riding pants since then
    Cogswell and KTM Mike like this.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Moab is, IMO, completely over-run by plated sideXsides tearing up and down all the streets and trails. :(
    vfrmike and bomose like this.
  16. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are the San Juans, Flei. I remember several places where it looked like the road went one way, but went the other. Glad I was taking it slow. I saw several skid marks going close to the edge by a couple of guys in front of us. I'm sure Brian knows this but a good article in picking up heavy Adv bikes. http://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/proper-lifting-techniques-adventure-motorcycle/ I also take a couple of soft loops to tie on in case I can't get a good hold. It helped a lot when I put my foot down and had it slide out from under me on sand, pulling my hamstring so I couldn't bend down fully. And a piece of velcro to lock the front brake lever so the bike doesn't roll out from under you.
  17. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am aware of the leg press lift technique of picking up a big bike. I do need to practice it though as I've never actually tried it. I've never dropped my street bikes (dirt bikes a different story). I do expect that I will drop the bike on this trip and it will be a sad moment for me as I take a lot of pride in the fact that my bikes aren't scarred up. Good idea on packing some webbing for lifting straps. I will definitely pack some.
    bomose likes this.
  18. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's easier to just have the wifey hang off the opposite side and butt into the dirt as you pick it up. She just needs to hang out as far as she can.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  19. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The secret to not having to pick up a big bike is to not crash in the first place. Now the thing is, expert riders crash occasionally. The only riders that don’t are pure lucky. So, if you believe your truely an expert you will still need to hit the gym and eat your Wheaties. Now if you think you’re lucky, well then, Good Luck.
  20. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She doesnt have a lot of meat to "cantilever" out there and I'm ok with that. :rofl
    KTM Mike and Oldschoolrocker like this.