White Rim Trail Two Up

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Brian Reiber, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neither does mine. At 102 lbs soaking wet, it's just enough to teeter totter my way. I have her leave her helmet on.. doubles the weight. :lol2
  2. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I’ve changed my mind on your endeavor. After watching #FreeSolo on National Geographic Channel last night, neither I or anyone else should get in the way of your desirered accomplishments. All I can say is prep to perfection and go for it when you, and how you desire. YOLO
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Big difference between what the op wants to do and free solo.

Yes, both are dangerous and could kill you...that is the same ... free solo is way more dangerous though.

Difference is in free solo, he

1) he is VERY experienced climber... the op has NO EXPERIENCE riding 2 up off road

2) He does the climb countless times, 1st with ropes, to learn the route and confirm it is doable.

The OP is going to this stunt with NO PRACTICE or experience with Moab riding conditions.

3) In Free Solo, he is both fit and has ideal body type for climbing.

The OP by his own admission. .. is to short for his bike, lacks the need strength and endurance to pick up his bike ...and has not practiced pick up techniques ! !

The OP is NOT PREPARED for this ride in many ways ! !

4) Last and most important in free solo ...it is only his life that is on the line ....The OP is putting the life of another at risk ...worse ...I doubt his backseat fully understands the risks involved in this ride.....lastly the OP is counting on other trail users to either save his butt or help him ...free solo did not count on any one but him self ! !

Free solo is all about doing a VERY dangerous climb, with the proper preparation, equipment, and support .... the OP wants to do a semi-dangerous trip without proper preparation, poor equipment choice, and risking others safety and fun !

Scott
    holckster likes this.
  4. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my post I stated “prep to perfection”. All those shortcomings you stated would be addressed if he does that. At the end of the day it’s all on him.
    shrederscott likes this.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year when riding in the Maze District of Canyonlands NP we saw a verbose sign making it clear than even licensed ATV/UTVs were not allowed. The sign said the vehicles had to be licensed for "Interstate travel". I assume this was to eliminate the AZ et. al. licensed vehicles.

It was not clear to me whether interstate travel meant travel on interstate highways or travel between states.
  6. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct....your machine MUST have a 50 state legal plate that allows you to legally ride on all roads including the interstate system.

However ...the machine it self does not need to be 50 states street legal.

My 350 xcf-w is NOT factory 50 state legal .... but ...I live in Colorado ...easy to get a full 50 state legal plate in Colorado ... so I am good to ride those trails.

I can legally ride all the roads in California with my Colorado plate and title ....I CAN NOT move to California and get a California plate because not factory street legal ...if I made that move, I would lose my Colorado plate and the ability to ride those trails.

Silly loopholes in the rules.

Scott
  7. vfrmike

vfrmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna chime in again. I will never tell someone they can't do something based on my experience. I have ridden the trail and it was nothing compared to some of the passes and single track I've ridden in Colorado. Last time I was there a 2wheel drive chevy compact was on the trail (probably a rental). I'm an C+ dirt rider and I found the trail easy on a 525 (I know different bike, nearly half the weight): however, a novice dirt rider on loaded KLR with panniers had one tumble in the sand because he grabbed a handful of front brake, never rode sand (throttle is your friend and not only in sand) and it was a slow speed tumble but he made it through just fine with only a little hurt pride. I would not hesitate to do it on a V-strom, for me: would it be fun? yep most of the time, would it be stressful? yep some of the time, would it be horrifying? nope none of the time. IMO dropping the gear (go to a nearby motel/Airbnb get a room for 2 days and leave the gear and panniers behind or maybe slip a motel clerk a $20 to watch it) or post up here if someone will store it for you or better yet tent space from the inmates, would make it more enjoyable. IMO part deux, I would rather ride a Goldwing on the WRT than through Houston during rush hour, and have no doubts it would be safer. Off soapbox.
    Dan Alexander and Bigbugberg like this.
  8. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    But you and your friends were not doing it 2 up on 550 lb bike with street suspension. I have ridden all over the San Juans, including Black Bear, on my KLR with no problems. Even did 2 up on it over Imogene. Riding those same passes solo on my 990 is much harder and I wouldn't attempt most of it 2 up, even when I was younger. Granted, WRT is not as difficult as Black Bear, but a couple of areas could be trouble. Brian has made up his mind to do it, so I wish him all the best. Because of these posts he has a better idea what he's getting into and how to prepare for it.
    vfrmike and shrederscott like this.
  9. cabnfvr

cabnfvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So why am I posting after 6 pages of nearly the same info? Dunno, just tossing in my 2 cents I guess. We were looking at WRT 2-up for our Utah trip next summer but after watching numerous videos we've decided not to do the full WRT. We'll be 2-up on an R1200GS and the sand at Mineral Springs plus the climb at Murphy's Hogback could make WRT a really really bad idea. We will go to the first or second set of ledges overlooking the river near Potash instead, then backtrack to Long Canyon (if it's in good condition). We want to ride under the leaning rock if conditions are not too bad.There are lots of great trails in the area so skipping the full WRT won't diminish our trip any.
    bomose and Brian Reiber like this.
  10. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this helps. I thoroughly enjoyed White Rim Road via Jeep a year ago. Beautiful area, well worth visiting. I also ride a Strom, a 650, and looked hard at the route, and watched the guys on motorcycles. It looked tough, but doable for me. I'm not a great off-road rider.

Here's a photo I took going up Murphy, and I was running the route counter-clockwise:
    [​IMG]

The Jeep was in low-range, and did fine of course, but this, and going down the other side of Murphy Hogback, would have given me a bit of trouble on the bike I'm sure.

If you go, enjoy, be careful. I've enjoyed this thread. Want to return someday, but I'll likely cheese out and take the Jeep again. :)

Regards, Guy
    cabnfvr, Brian Reiber and Todd157k like this.
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did it clockwise in one day with my gf now wife several years ago and it was pretty easy and very rewarding. We were on KTM 950, a really good bike for this sort of thing. The very few areas that give concern could be handled by pillion just walking a couple hundred yards. YMMV. I say go for it.
    KTM Mike and Brian Reiber like this.
  12. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I'm generally in the camp that you should not do this due to the risk. But I think that if you could mitigate one or two of the issues you'd be fine. I'm as much concerned about the bike you'll be riding as anything. There are some areas, hills of course, that your ground clearance may be an issue, especially as loaded as you will be.
    I've ridden this on a F800GSA and did fine, but was without luggage and stood on the pegs a lot for the day. I've advised a friend that will be coming along this May that he probably will be fine getting through on his wee-strom, but he'll have to be very careful on picking his line. I'm not sure I'd take my GS around again just due to the punishment it takes on this route. I bought a WR450F pretty much JUST for this trip.

You obviously want to try this, so here are my suggestions:
    • Take some off-road training before the trip to improve your abilities.
    • Don't lower the bike. You'll need the clearance. The skid plate is a near mandatory addition in either case.
    • Try some of the other shorter rides to get the feel for it and make sure you'll be comfortable. Lots of good suggestions previously.
    • Leave the luggage in town. It's a long ride all the way around, but you'll still have plenty of time to stop and take in the sights. I took a power nap last year and still got around in eight hours or so.
    • Carry an InReach or Spot to call for help if you need it. It will be neat for your kids to see where you are every day on your trip too.
    • ABSOLUTELY get around the WRT in some way, shape, or form. It's a lovely trip, and will be exactly the sort of life experience you're looking for with your wife.
    Brian Reiber and WYO George like this.
  13. 75bronco

75bronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive done it 2 up. Just go slow, poke along. Have the wife walk the steeper stuff and maybe sand section. Actually no big deal if you use good judgement.
    jimmex and Brian Reiber like this.
  14. Val_on_the_Edge

Val_on_the_Edge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there! Last year we rode 2up on a vstrom 1000 from Montreal, Canada all the way to Zion in Utah. Did many trails in the southern part on our way to Moab. Now my boyfriend is an avid enduro rider with lots of experience and we are used to riding 2up off road. If you feel confident you should be able to do it no major problems. Anyways you will find out soon enough starting the ride if you feel confident enoughfor the whole loop. We had a motel room in Moab so we didn’t carry much with us on that day. I wouldn’t recommend it 2up on that bike with all side cases and camping gear. Bring plenty of water/snacks more than you need in case you get stranted for whatever reason. If you are unsure about your capabilities, plan 2 days. The first day you could go down Mineral Bottom, get back up, visit Canyonlands and go down Shaffer Trail then head back to Moab by Potash Road. This should give you a pretty good idea to see if you are up for the whole loop. Don’t forget to get your permit for the white rim, you will need a separate one for each day and you will need one even if you plan on just going down Mineral Bottom which I highly recommend actually. Hit if me up if you have any more questions!
    vfrmike and ScotsFire like this.
  15. Val_on_the_Edge

Oddometer:
    Happy to find someone else to state this. We rented a side by side to go to chicken’s corner and that sandy part would’ve been a real bitch ride on any bike 2up. We met a guy who had been through lockharts basin on his adv bike (sorry don’t recall the make) and he was swamped from picking it up so many times in the sand sections. I’d do the WRT anytime over that stuff....
  16. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you did the WRT in a day 2 up on a Vstrom? How long did it take you? Did you have any troubles on the trail?
  17. Val_on_the_Edge

Oddometer:
    Yes we did, a long day it was! No particular troubles, like it was mentioned most of the trail is relatively easy but the hardest parts can be treacherous. With the Vstrom, ground clearance is of course an issue so a good skid plate is mandatory. We left the side cases at the hotel and only took the top case with use. One thing worth mentioning is that we were both carrying camelbaks full of water and we used electrolyte tabs which were really handy in the heat. We were lucky that the condition had been really dry so everything was pretty hard packed everywhere. Worth mentioning that ATVs are indeed not allowed on the WRT. Like many people said, if you try Hurrah Pass first you’ll pretty much have an idea of your capabilities. Like I said we are used to riding offroad 2up so to each their own comfort zone. If ever you or your wife don’t feel at ease, of course don’t push it. That trail while super fun, will have the best of you if you are not confident enough. If you want the “whole day adventure” type of thing but WRT seems out of your comfort zone, go south and do the Burr trail you could start in Blanding, take the ferry over lake Powell and go all the way up to Boulder. That day was one of our highlights from the trip and you get a good taste of the desert but on easy tracks. Takes a whole day to do also. Bring your lunch and have fuel topped off because you won’t come across anything and almost anyone for the whole day. It was incredible with ever changing scenery.
  18. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info. Thank you.
  19. et17smith

et17smith Toronto. BMW 1150GSA. KLR650. WR250R. CB750K Supporter

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend and I did the white rim trail last year 2up on an 1150GSA fully loaded with camping gear, cooking gear, all our personal stuff for a 2 month trip, and even a guitar. We camped at roughly the halfway point and did the trail over about a day and a half. It was definitely difficult, but clearly possible.

Most of the trail is fine. Rocky, gravel, hard packed. But the few sections which will be very difficult are the soft sand sections and the 2 hillclimbs. My girlfriend got off the bike and walked for those sections. The hillclimbs were very tough. The soft sand was slow moving, but not a big deal. Make sure to have a good skidplate. We were smacking that thing constantly due to being so loaded down.

Overall we fell twice with both of us on the bike, and twice with only me on the bike. Slow speed falls mostly in sand or stalling on a steep hill.

My GSA has a 30L tank and we used almost all of it. I would recommend bringing lots and lots of water (We wish we had brought more).

I would call myself a reasonably decent rider (at best), and we had ridden offroad 2up on a fair few other occasions (en route home from Baja at the Utah part of our trip).

If its something you really want to do, I say do it. But don't underestimate how difficult it can be. Bring lots of water! Make sure the bike is tip-top!
  20. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. The bike is tuned and ready to go, I put on a set of Kenda Big Blocks and added a skid plate. Now I am counting the days until our trip. I just received a gloomy email from the National Park Service predicting heavy flooding on the Green River for most of May and the beginning of June. The situation is day by day but it looks as though there is a high probability that we won't be able to ride through the section at Mineral Bottom. If this turns out to be the case we will enter at Schaefer and ride as far as we feel comfortable and then turn around and head back to Airport for the night. Regardless of how it all plays out we will make an adventure of it as we always do.