White Rim Trail Two Up

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Brian Reiber, Feb 17, 2019.

1. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just check the morning you want to ride. We were told Mineral Bottom was flooded and impassible, but the Green River went down quickly and we were able to go. It was quite wet, but we had no problems. We were prepared to turn back. Counter clockwise would be the best way to go because you'll know early whether it's passable.
  2. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks bomose,
    were you using 17,000 cubic ft of flow as a go/no go threshold or did you just ride down and hope for the best? The parks service suggest that there could be flooding at 17,000. If flooding is likely I'd rather just enter on the other end and just spend 2 days exploring what we can.
  3. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was several years ago. Didn't use rate of flow. Just asked the Rangers and hoped for the best. To me, the best scenery is from the Schaffer trail - Potash end anyway. Just make sure you have enough gas if you have to turn around. Know your range.
    DSCN0465.JPG DSCN0987.JPG
    Helibee and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Such a magnificent motorbike ride.
  5. clax

clax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did the WRT with a group of guys about a month ago. There were definitely 4x4's, but my opionion...

THERE IS NO WAY I'd do that trail on a 4x4 without some serious consideration. Narrow road and huge drop offs! And one VERY steep hill about the middle.

I'm pretty sure I'd rather be on the Vstrom with Nobbies, but neither is an ideal choice. If you could get on an Africa twin, ktm 1090 or even a 701, 690 or dr650 would be a much better and safer ride.

That being said... most of the trail isn't that bad. But the lady would definitely we walking up or down that hill i mentioned. It's not crazy steep, but you need to carry some momentum on a large bike and the consequences are high.

good luck,

Clay D
  6. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    V Strom 2 up? You'll have hard go of it up hogsback 2 up, pretty hairy with drop-off consequences. Utah is an amazing place, enjoy safely!
  7. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did this ride come to fruition? Is there a report somewhere?
  8. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Rode the WRT Tuesday. It is the firmest I’ve seen it (this is the third year running). Also nearly all the loose rocks have been cleared off the hills. If the OP was going to attempt this feat, he actually couldn’t ask for better conditions than right now.

However I also think he’ll need to rebuild his shocks (amongst other things) from the incessant pounding the bike is going to take.
  9. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May 19
  10. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's the bikes last trip anyways. If we enjoy this type of riding well look at an ADV bike if not probably a sport tourer and I'll stick with dirt bikes for my offroad fix.
    Bhart89 and ScotsFire like this.
  11. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was there any evidence of flooding at Mineral Bottom?
  12. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    No. A little puddle at one of the arroyos but nothing more. Some evidence of prior flooding, but nothing more than I'd seen the past couple of years.

The Park Service did take down their on line permit process for the WRT this week due to the flood scare (unsure if it's up yet or not), so we did have to get permits at the visitor center. It wasn't a big deal for us as we were riding in the area that day anyway, but will potentially necessitate an extra day or trip up for you as you are supposed to get them 24 hours in advance.
    djroszina, jimmex and Brian Reiber like this.
  13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was on the WRT last year in July.

It was 100°+.

Two up on a big bike will be fine... until it isn't.

The rocks are hard, the sun is hot and help is far away.

Rent a jeep.
  14. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the WRT last Sunday and there were no flooding issues. Spectacular ride. I also had to get my pass the day before at the visitor center.
  15. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :lurk

After so many differing opinions I NEED to see how this plays out LOL

Good luck and ride safe!
  16. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I only read the first and last pages of this thread. I haven't ridden the WRT but have ridden trails in the Moab area and have ridden forest service roads (both easy and 4wd) with a few Vstrom riders. The main thing that occurs to me - what is your ground clearance when riding two up? The Vstrom I saw on the road sure didn't have much. I sure hope you have a good skid plate fitted.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode it Thursday (May 9). Because of potential flooding they weren't giving out permits online.

We got ours at the park headquarters in town. Had to listen to a long lecture on dos and don'ts.
    We ran into another group who got theirs at the entry kiosk with no hassles.

There was no flooding on Mineral Bottom and the road was completely dry the whole loop.

There was no silt in the stretch by the tree. And I can't really remember much sand.
    One of the guys said the rest of the road was in better shape than when he rode it last year.

It was a very pleasant ride.

I was surprised to see Long Canyon has been upgraded from a primitive road to a mostly graded road.
    Many years since I went up it I guess.
    jimmex likes this.
  18. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Gemini Bridges had also been totally graded. Very easy ride now.
  19. Brian Reiber

Brian Reiber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Park service online permit system is up an running. Overnight permit and weekly use permit in my hand.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  20. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode u to Island in the Sky to get a permit. Rode Shaffer trail 2 up then Potash road back to Moab. Was going to do WRT next day but bailed on it. To be honest that was enough for me and didnt want to get beat up for 8+ hours the next day doing it. So I called and turned in my pass. It will beat your ass up keeping the bike steady without a doubt. Cheers Brian! 6BBDD74E-4CD3-492E-A07E-D68E08B832DE.jpeg
    Bhart89 and ScotsFire like this.