Who does suspension work?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by KimDN, Jul 26, 2020.

1. KimDN

KimDN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get my 2001 Montesa 315r suspension re-valved for trail riding. I know, blasphemy. But it's what we do here. Who does trials suspension work?
  2. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vintage Pro and Motobene are in business to modify trials suspension products. Not endorsing their workmanship, methods or settings, simply answering your question request.
  3. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Motobene Isn’t doing work on Showa anymore last I heard. Not sure if he dose other brands still.
  4. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    I have wondered what would happen if you did that. Would you end up with a fun lightweight trail bike or just ruin a good trials bike? Anybody ever try it to see what happened?
  5. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Not sure where you are located since you don't appear to have it listed anywhere, but Rob Lang of Lang's Offroad is a very talented suspension technician in Ontario, Canada. You can ship parts to him and he can send them back if you're outside of Canada.

He's well schooled in enduro and trials suspension tuning and is a dealer for Beta, TRS, and Tenaci Wong. Until recently he was also a dealer for Sherco and GasGas so he's very experienced with most brands of bikes and tuning.

https://langsoffroad.com/pages/services
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do a lot of revalves on suspension and you can make it work.In this case it would require a few tries to get it right.The big issue is using a trials bike for faster trail riding is you will kill the smaller shock faster because of heat buildup. They simply do not have the mass and oil capacity to stay cool when pushing at speed.Also the increased resistance of the heavier stacks also increase heat which kills the oil even faster.Brakes can also get pretty cooked with the smaller components when using them hard and at speed.
    oldtrialer and Yinzer Moto like this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are funny, Kim is in the south pacific. It is a state, but how fast cane you go unless its a huge cane plantation. I would get a KTM freeride and call it good.
  8. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think KimDN had a Freeride?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know he used to have one when I had one.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    He needs a TL 250 with a front disc and a clark tank. Some day I will get around to working on mine.:lol3
  11. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motobene is officially retired from a lot of things now, including moto work. Maybe for friend every now and then, and just for fun. Up next, Race Tech emulators in the shock and forks of a WR450f, just because we live close together and ride together.

I've been steering inquiries to Randy Lewis.
    Brewtus and jonnyc21 like this.
  12. carknocker

carknocker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Randy Lewis knows his stuff.
    Norman Foley likes this.