Who else is fed up with connectivity issues?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SnoDrtRider, Sep 24, 2019.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Wasted the better part of four hours this morning at the dealership having my bike updated to the latest soft ware and so far not any better and maybe worse.
    If I go out and spend 300 on a new Sena and still have issues that will be the last straw with this bike.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    What Sena are you looking switching to and why ? I'm probably going back to the 20s from the 30k in order to get back 2 bt radios. If you want to borrow a 30k or pair, let me know.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  3. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the SLR for the Neo 2.
    Pretty sure that has the same dual BT radios like the 20s.
    I take it the dual radios in the 20 were better than the 30?
  4. dpike

Oddometer:
    audio multitasking doesn't work quite right for me on the 30k and using mesh is pretty horrid. as far as com to com bt go, they're clear, no popping, good noise filtering and don't cut off the first 2 words of whatever is said. Sena's one of those companies that can never seem to quite give you the full package, they always seem to take something away to add something else.
  5. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I don't use the com feature at all... I just want to connect to my devices for music and navigation and the SMH-5FM just seems limited to one or two devices... Throw in the Bike and it all gets very iffy at best.
    Sometimes everything connects fine and other times when they don't and I look in settings on the TFT and it doesn't even show the Sena in the device log so I can tell it to connect. Not wanting to waste time repairing I head down the road... A half hour later everything remembers each other and they connect until the next fuel or lunch stop where it is a crap shoot again when starting up.
  6. sfsmedic

sfsmedic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Sena and IPhone. I have synced my sena and iPhone individually to the TFT and have zero issues.

I turn on the bike. Then after a couple seconds of boot up I turn on my helmet.

Before I leave I check connectivity through the tft screen and do a search again if they didn’t connect (rarely) and it connects right away.
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    NSFW, not safe for kids, not safe for tender ears but .... quite a life and .......

Not limited to Sony:

Loutre, Bradmeister, flei and 3 others like this.
  8. dpike

Oddometer:
    "work, work you cock sucking piece of shit!"

i've said this so many times its not even funny.
  9. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I received a survey from BMW today regarding my visit to the dealer... I told them I would be able to highly recommend the product once the fix the connectivity issues....
    I did give my dealer props.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    I had a revelation of sorts yesterday. First off I rarely if ever have any connectivity issues but I also never use the BMW app on my phone for nav. Yesterday I decided to use the bmw app and my helmet would not connect, it wasn’t even able to be found. As soon as I turned the app off all was good and zero issues.

I have used Waze on my iPhone and had navigation work on my TFT. I know for a fact I had the bmw app off while this was happening.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I do not use the phone app for navigation but I will try turning the app off and see what happens.
    What headset do you use?
  12. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about fed up with the system as well. I got everything paired up well (Sena 20s to phone and to the bike) and it was working as expected but after a trip a couple weeks back the bike forgot about the connection so nothing works anymore? Also the scroll wheel has been very fickle lately, I think I'll get the dealer to look at all this next time I'm in.
  13. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Sena SRL2
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  14. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I was hoping that the SRL would cure the problem. My helmet takes the first gen SRL and I have been holding off on buying it hoping the software update fixed the issue but it didn't
  15. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Subscribing... Interesting stuff. Especially the bit about it working once you shut off BMW Connected! So you can either navigate OR hear your directions / music... wtf BMW.
    I haven't been in a hurry to jump into this stuff, and this kind of info confirms that position.
    bobw likes this.
  16. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I decided to bite the bullet... Ordered a Sena SRL for the NeoTech2 a few days ago and it arrived today. Just finished installing it and waiting for it to fully charge. If this does not cure the problem I am going to be on BMW like white on rice or flies on shit.
    Class Action Lawsuit anyone?
  17. Bradmeister

Bradmeister Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I must be getting Old.....

I thought technology peeked when I had a brand new 2003 BMW R1150RT and it had speakers and a CD Player that I could not make skip, unless I went flying over a Double Set of Rail Road crossings!

Now, it's all about Wifi and Coms, and Pairing, syncing and Linking and........... Lions and Tigers and Bears....Oh my.

I salute you guys with the Comm. Gizmo's! I just dont have the patience to go into a Dealership or an aftermarket store and listen to the Technobable of what it will all do for me, and how happy I may or may not be.......

Be safe and enjoy the comm/nav audio inputs!
    SebRex13, c_m_shooter and bobw like this.
  18. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    Update...
    So after deleting all connections from all devices and reconnecting them a few weeks ago then not having a chance to ride and check them out for several weeks today I turned on the SRL2 and switched on the ignition of the bike. The Sena immediately connected to the GPS and TFT as it was supposed to. (The phone (Pixel XL2) is only connected to the GPS and TFT NOT the Sena) Music came on as expected.
    I was very pleased! That is until we stopped for fuel about an hour later...:baldy
    When I restarted the Sena failed to connect to the TFT but did connect to the Nav6. I tried cycling both the ignition and switching the Sena of and on several times to no avail.:baldy:baldy
    I even checked the "Connections" menu in the TFT and the Sena was not even in my devices list under "Riders Helmet" :dirtdog
    Later at lunch I remembered that sfsmedic suggested the BMW Connected app on the phone might be giving the system fits so I switched the app off. When we went back to the bikes after lunch I fired the bike up and EVERYTHING connected as it should! :wings

I think sfsmedic is on to something here:beer:beer
    bobw likes this.
  19. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Hmm so let's narrow this down. Did you have "Connected" app running when things were working?

And you have a Navi in the mix?

Wondering if "Connected" doesn't like having a separate navigation device also connected at the same time.

sfsmedic do you also run a dedicated nav device?

Perhaps one of you can disconnect your nav unit, open "Connected" and see if the issues remain?
  20. sfsmedic

Oddometer:
    Since I use my bike to commute and around town I simply use my phone connected on the nav dock with Waze. The interesting thing is once my phones connected to the tot with waze the nav on the TFT then works. I’m guessing it’s using the gps signal off my phone. I don’t ever use it though.