Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please pop in here to let us know how you are going if you want to :-)
    Sfcootz and Dukehunt like this.
  2. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    And we can ride our bikes around this free country thanks to people like you.
  3. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Daughter' is back texting to her mum regularly (my lady) and seems to have found a good share house environment of working people in Canberra now, hopefully away from 'the shit' as we call it...fingers crossed...
    Canary, Sfcootz, Dukehunt and 3 others like this.
  4. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Jeez...that sounds like shit Bob
    Best wishes mate. :thumb
    LOFTYBOB likes this.
  5. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:

Been a worry to me - I'm not a greenie so to speak but I do come from a family where conservation was practiced,
    both my father and his father tried to practice healing of the land after they realised what mistakes had been made
    Bit melancholy this morning - already chased 'Tripod' [resident three footed Fox] around the garden on the zero turn mower,
    think the black dog may be hanging around here too!
    Tassy is looking possible again - up around Burnie / Wynyard area
    Anyway Sunday is here = gardening ?
    Cheers
    Baza
    Sfcootz likes this.
  6. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it is being shown in other states, but on SBS tonight at 1020 - 1120 in Melbourne there is a documentary being shown titled
    Stopping Male Suicide
    Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 50 in the United Kingdom - causing more deaths in this group than car accidents or cancer. In this sensitive film, Dr Xand van Tullekan finds out what we know about why people develop suicidal thoughts and whether there is anything we can do about it.

I have not seen it, but will be watching it.
    hunter_greyghost and LOFTYBOB like this.
  7. mcfear

mcfear now known as many things

Oddometer:
    i think i may be there at the moment....
    Big Willy likes this.
  8. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Proud to be a 0.6106142755%er Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    May be where?
  9. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Hey McMate :wave

If you mean what I think you mean, see a doctor!
    Life is full or ups and downs and can be real shitty but after the rain...it shines :super
    hunter_greyghost and Sfcootz like this.
  10. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
  11. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  12. mcfear

mcfear now known as many things

Oddometer:
    yeh mate, seeing one at the moment.

all started when back in july i was at work and had a bull walk out infront of my work truck. Not the worst thing in the world, not good but not the worst thing until you realize i drive 4wd tour vehicles around the country and was in a 12ton truck with 16 passengers in the back. under braking i left 70+m of rubber down the highway washing off speed but heavy truck after dark was still going to hit it. under the drivers steer wheel it went and lifted it up enough we tipped onto the side and slid for a bit down the highway.

ever since then its caused me anxiety when driving with passengers, not when im empty but if i have passengers in my duty of care then its playing heavy, now the realizations that if i cant do this job anymore i have no real qualifications outside of tourism and im getting close to 30. (for those that know me from back when i joined, i was 16 then.....)

now i have no drive to do anything except when i have to, not eating correctly which when i have no thyroid is bad. I dunno, theres been some heavy realizations from the accident that are hurting more now then the accident itself did.
    Big Willy likes this.
  13. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Mc IamFucked up....:D
    Good on you for putting it out there.

And just to put it out there
    I could write 10 pages on on a post traumatic stress thing like what you are going through right now ...and that would just be the preamble..

Actually my sister has just done her Masters and written a book on post traumatic stress...

My short suggestion ..hypnosis ..serious ..

Keep talking to us mate
  14. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post traumatic stress. How long can a thing like that go on for?.
  15. Gasman_ADV

Oddometer:
    it can eat you for the rest of your days, and does for many many people
  16. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh. I'll have to have a look into that. Could explain a few things. Cheers.
  17. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple of mates with PTSD. My mom has it as well from her horrid childhood. It sticks with you for a long time. There are things that help. Moto riding is one of them because it allows you to escape your thoughts and focus on something for a while.

I think the important thing is to know that you're not alone if you have PTSD and that there are treatments available to help.
  18. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    G'day McBrave
    Just remember that the reason your worried about driving with passengers is that you care about what happens to them which is an admirable trait but you have to think of yourself as well.
    My son was involved in 3 bus crashes, two quite serious and he has had a lot of trouble dealing with riding on buses again. I told him to get back on the horse that tossed him and try again. He has listened and slowly regained his confidence once more . He hasn't forgotten but deals with it now.
    Personally I find getting back on my bike after a long time can be a bit scary when riding in roo country and quite often I think,what if I hit one at this speed or in this corner. These thoughts go through my head after hitting a big one and escaping without a scratch and many near misses. Eventually these thoughts leave your mind and the riding becomes enjoyable as time goes by. Time heals wounds so to speak.
    What I did was to drive out the negative thoughts as soon as they appear.Think of a place you want to visit or something pleasant the instant the demons appear and don't veer off the positive thoughts. I solve my mechanical problems and plan trips because they take up more of the hard drive to process and that leaves no space for worry.
    As Gasman said hypnosis could help and its worth a try as it may help you do what I previously mentioned.
    Good luck and keep positive
    LOFTYBOB, Big Willy, Slowpup and 4 others like this.
  19. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    G'day McBloke, glad you contacted this page - that's a real positive on your part
    I can't add anymore than what Gasman & Mick have said, just glad to hear you're OK
    Speaking about your issues is the first step in a long road - and we've all been down some of them
    Keep talking because someone is always listening
    Cheers
    Baza
    P.S. had a great session with my Psychologist yesterday - only trouble is that I'm about to review my case [maybe], lots of painful reading to do !
    Big Willy, Dukehunt and Sfcootz like this.
  20. Gasman_ADV

Oddometer:
    I just had to edit my post
    My sister did a Masters in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
    and is looking at getting it published.Her husband and myself have been suggested we might like to read it but not really encouraged...... Bit of a personal journey in there I think

Anyway the ones who have read it think it will become a standard teaching/ guide textbook